PDA

View Full Version : Rcbs 357-180-sil

DonH
05-31-2012, 01:42 PM
Is anyone here casting with a fairly recent copy of this mold?

I have a quantity of bullets left over from one of these molds which I bought back in the 80s but is now gone. The bullet shot quite well from a Blackhawk .357. I don't think I ever measured the diameter but do recall that when sized the bullet showed heavier sizing on one axis than the other. Recently I miked a few of these and found then to be (as cast) about .358 across the mold parting lines and .354"-.355" the other way. I am wondering if the currently produced molds are better than this?

357maximum
05-31-2012, 02:05 PM
I had an older one that made nice and round .3585 boolits that were real accurate in my 357MAX Encore. I did not view it as a good deer killer however, so I sent it on to it's next owner. I should have kept it just for beating on steel but Babore set me up pretty good when BRP was in business with better "kill" designs that flew as accurately or better. For an over the counter mould the RCBS 180 Sil is a good boolit. If you like them I would try another one. If it is out of spec RCBS has great customer service/relations if they do screw something up they will fix it. They even fix things I screw up.

bobthenailer
05-31-2012, 05:50 PM
The weight & bullet size on RCBS sil moulds is established with linotype alloy , perhaps that is why it was casting small size bullets ?

runfiverun
05-31-2012, 06:24 PM
rcbs uses 1-10 alloy.
only mike venturino uses linotype.