PDA

View Full Version : "Gun Culture" storry on yahoo I found on leverguns

gregg
04-19-2007, 12:43 AM
Nother thought. I notice Fox News has been kind
to us gun guys in there views. Cannot hurt.

pittman_clay
"Gun Culture" storry on yahoo
Tue Apr 17, 2007 08:22

This is an AP story from yahoo on the international response to the shootings, it makes me sick to my stomach. make no bones about it the rest of the world hates us and out core beliefs and would love to denie us our fredoms.

"SYDNEY (Reuters) - Foreign politicians and media attacked America's "gun culture" on Tuesday after a gunman killed 32 people in the country's worst shooting rampage.
ADVERTISEMENT

Prime Minister John Howard said tough Australian legislation introduced after a mass shooting in Tasmania in 1996 had prevented the U.S. gun culture emerging in his country.

The Australians subsequently imposed laws banning almost all types of semi-automatic weapons.

"We showed a national resolve that the gun culture that is such a negative in the United States would never become a negative in our country," said Howard, extending sympathies to the families of the victims at Virginia Tech university.

The attacker killed himself in a classroom after opening fire on students and staff in an apparently premeditated massacre on Monday morning.

The gunman was an Asian male who was a student at the university and a dormitory resident, Virginia Tech President Charles Steger told CNN. His name was not released.

British Prime Minister
Iran, at loggerheads with the United States over its nuclear program, spoke out against the killings.

"Iran condemns the killing of Virginia university students and expresses its condolences to the families of victims and the American nation," Foreign Ministry spokesman Mohammad Ali Hosseini said in a statement, which was faxed to Reuters.

"AS AMERICAN AS APPLE PIE"

European newspapers saw a grim inevitability about the shootings, given the right to bear arms which is enshrined in America's constitution. In Italy, the Leftist Il Manifesto newspaper said the shooting was "as American as apple pie."

More than 30,000 people die from gunshot wounds in the United States annually and there are more guns in private hands than in any other country. But a powerful gun lobby and support for gun ownership have largely thwarted attempts to tighten controls.

"It would be vain to hope that even so destructive a crime as this will cool the American ardor for guns," the Independent newspaper said in a commentary.

Gerard Baker, a columnist for The Times newspaper, feared worse was yet to come: "The truth is that only an optimist would imagine Virginia Tech will hold the new record for very long."

France's Le Monde newspaper said such episodes frequently disfigure the "American dream."

"The ... slaughter forces American society to once again examine itself, its violence, the obsession with guns of part of its population, the troubles of its youth, subjected to the double tyranny of abundance and competition," it wrote.

Campaigners in other countries where gun ownership is common expressed fears of a similar massacre.

Nandy Pacheco, head of the Philippines anti-gun lobby, Gunless Society, said he feared it could happen there.

"Not a day passes without a gun-related incident happening (in the Philippines). You hear it on radio, see it on TV and read it in newspapers," he said.

Gun ownership is commonplace in the Philippines, from housewives worried about burglary to politicians fearful of assassination. There are around 1.1 million guns, and police estimate that around 30 percent of them are unlicensed.

Shootings over trivial incidents are commonplace. A few years ago several fatal karaoke bar shootouts were sparked by poor renditions of Frank Sinatra's "My Way.""

(Additional reporting by Francois Murphy in Paris, Phil Stewart in Rome and Kate Kelland and Parisa Hafezi in London)

R.M.
04-19-2007, 01:01 AM
"More than 30,000 people die from gunshot wounds in the United States annually "
That's more than 80/day. Sounds pretty high to me. You don't think that the media might have inflated these numbers a bit. :twisted:

LarryM
04-19-2007, 11:00 PM
There numbers are full of carp.
for the DOJ
The FBI's Crime in the United States estimated that 66% of the 16,137 murders in 2004 were committed with firearms. so if my math is right that would be 10,650 murders with guns. and I would hazard a guess that a big part of that is gangbangers doing themselves in.

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/guns.htm

Hunter
04-20-2007, 01:29 AM
I have noticed how statistics will be manipulated to try and prove a point.
I remember an article a while back when the number of children that were killed with firearms seemed exceeding high until the NRA pointed out that as far as the numbers were concerned children were defined as any person under 21 and these numbers included gang and police shootings.
It really is a shame of what has become of the media and the way other countries view us. I suspect there is a degree of jealousy of our freedoms.

1Shirt
04-20-2007, 11:09 AM
The vast majority of Americans have never been overseas to see how they live and what they are. I am well traveled in on 4 continents, so am comfortable about what I write here. Most of the people in Europe are "Sheepoles", over taxed, depending on the gov't for every thing they have beyond food and the basic necessities of life. England, Germany, and Holland are over run with Muslums, and don't know what to do about it except to kowtow to them in fear.
There are examples of that in almost all of the european countries. Only the rich have guns, only the rich hunt, and the news medias over there only parrot about the U.S. what the Liberal gun hating Amerian media puts out. Much is the same throughout the Orient. Think that the media should do a little research regarding firearms deaths via the National Safety Council stats. From everything I read and hear, violent crime and gun crime is up in most of the countires that do not have our second ammendment freedoms. Am reminded of the need for arms by England at the beginning WWII for the home guard, and how American citizens donated private weapons of all kinds for that purpose. Am reminded of the confiscation of private weapons by Hitler, and Stalin. And I am reminded of the fact that Switzerland has an armed populus and has been able to remain neutral in numerous wars. Am a firm believer in the old saying that "an armed society is a polite society!". It is interesting to see the news media attack Charlton Heston
by name regarding VT. I note that they lack the guts to attack "Red America" by name. I also am enjoying the backlash of the majority of Americans regarding the media over coverage of the incident and the gutless newscasters and their lack of taste and common sense in order to have a market share of media ratings. Am also reminded regarding all of this that "figures don't lie, but liers do figure", and there are far to many liers figuring how they can disarm the American citizen.
1Shirt!:coffee: :coffee:

nelsonted1
04-21-2007, 12:46 PM
http://www.reason.com/news/show/28582.html

From 1991 to 1995, crimes against the person in England's inner cities increased 91 percent. And in the four years from 1997 to 2001, the rate of violent crime more than doubled. Your chances of being mugged in London are now six times greater than in New York. England's rates of assault, robbery, and burglary are far higher than America's, and 53 percent of English burglaries occur while occupants are at home, compared with 13 percent in the U.S., where burglars admit to fearing armed homeowners more than the police. In a United Nations study of crime in 18 developed nations published in July, England and Wales led the Western world's crime league, with nearly 55 crimes per 100 people.