PDA

View Full Version : antimony trisulphide

interlock
05-31-2012, 03:45 AM
guys,
I have loads of lead... former roofing lead and lead pipe. i have been trying to find some antimony so i can make up an alloy for casting rifle bullets... tin seems pretty easy to find.

I have found a source od antimony trisulphide. Is this any use to me?

Thanks

Steve

imashooter2
05-31-2012, 06:13 AM
No it is not.

The easiest way to harden up that lead is to buy some type metal and mix it 1:1 or 2:1 lead to type metal depending on what type metal you buy.

Moonman
05-31-2012, 06:16 AM
Isn't that used in fireworks?

You need to acquire some Linotype or Monotype or Rotometals SUPERHARD to alloy with your soft lead.

Wayne Smith
05-31-2012, 07:13 AM
It is not easy to alloy antimony into lead. It takes a special flux to do so, and lots of patience. Buy allready alloyed metal from Rotometals and keep it simple. You don't need much.

Lizard333
05-31-2012, 07:56 AM
Best bet would be to post a trade offer in the swapping and selling section in the commercial sector. Or go into the swaging section section and see if someone wants to trade. I personally mix it with clip on WW's and water drop.

interlock
05-31-2012, 08:28 AM
thanks guys. i will look for the linotype metal and mix that. i am in the uk so i will be looking at diferent companies for my metals.

thanks

40Super
06-01-2012, 08:29 AM
Some babbit metals have antimony in them also, so if there is a source for that over there it's another possible source. There are charts that show the makeup of many babbit grades or # so you know which ones they are, just do a search here for babbit threads.

shooter93
06-01-2012, 07:06 PM
Bill Ferguson aka The Antimony man sells both antimony and enrichment alloys that will blend with your alloy pretty easily.

interlock
06-02-2012, 12:32 AM
Guys, thanks for the asistance on this.

steve

TNFrank
06-02-2012, 02:47 PM
Most lead shot has antimony in it from what I gather. While not the most inexpensive way to get antimony it would be one way to do it. I've got lead shot left over from a muzzle loading shotgun I use to have and I also used it to load shot shells but since I don't do that any more I just pour a little bit into my mix when I'm making up ingots. You could probably get all precise and measure it out and stuff but I just pour a half a cup to a 10lb pot of melted wheel weights to help harden them up a bit more. Seems to work out ok.