PDA

View Full Version : Made a convert this weekend!

oldfart1956
05-30-2012, 09:04 AM
My older brother (Art) has been reloading for over 40 years. His reloading room is the size of my house. He's got more "stuff" in there than Midway. Seriously! And he has never...repeat..never loaded or even used a lead boolit other than in his muzzleloaders. (exempting jacketed/plated of course) The first words out of his mouth were always "lead up the bore and roooon the gun!" Followed by "not accurate, can't be pushed over 800/900f.p.s.....has to be HARD LEAD even to use it!" This past weekend he came to visit and he casted up 15lbs. of .358 S.W.C's out of my Lee mold. I had some I'd cast a month ago (just wheel weights with a little tin) and had him load some up for his .357 Mag. S&W revolver. Not magnum loads but traveling near 950/1000f.p.s. and tumbled in Recluse's recipie. He was sceptical but jacketed bullets are gettin' dear so he figgered he'd try it. He dropped the first cyl. full from a rest at the 25yd. target in failing light and the beginning of a thunderstorm so conditions weren't optimal. Open sights and he's almost 60 yrs. old. He couldn't tell for sure where he was hitting so we walked down to the backstop and he had 3 shots touching in the 2in. bull and the rest still in the bull. He was impressed! He went home with all 15lbs. of boolits tumble lubed and ready to load. The only downside was my shooting with the Ruger Blackhawk .45 Colt (now scoped) sucked. More on that later. Another one joins the fold! Thank to you folks! Audie...the Oldfart...:)

Cherokee
05-31-2012, 04:47 PM
Good for you. Some come late the hobby but you can help him out.

Catshooter
05-31-2012, 11:04 PM
Good on ya! This site is a great place to strip away all the old false data concerning boolits. I've learned so much here that I actually enjoy casting now. Used to be another chore.

Welcome to the forum too.

Cat

429421Cowboy
06-01-2012, 11:28 PM
I always try and spread the word, funny thing is untill i came here i honestly didin't know so many people didn't care for cast, my elders all figured that if it was wide and flat enough it would do its job and leading isn't an issue if it fits right! But now i often run into shooters that want to know what i "really" shoot, like for hunting and they always seem supprised that critters die almost as fast today as they did in the olden days when shot with cast!

1Shirt
06-09-2012, 10:26 AM
Good, we can always use converts!
1Shirt!:coffee:

captaint
06-09-2012, 08:55 PM
OK, I'll admit it.. I used to be Art. I remember saying why would anyone want to shoot lead and mess a perfectly good gun ? Live and learn. I have educated a few folks since, though. enjoy Mike