PDA

View Full Version : good 1911 for $600?

beex215
05-30-2012, 12:56 AM
im in the market to get a 1911 and was wondering what are the nice/best models that are in the $600 high range. which 1911 would you buy?

MtGun44
05-30-2012, 01:06 AM
Ruger, but not certain that it will fit your budget. Remington is 2nd choice.

Bill

5 RING
05-30-2012, 01:20 AM
I’m going to get laughed at for this one.
I got a Rock Island Arms 1911A1 tactical for $400 a few years ago and I like it a lot. Was shooting with a friend at Ft Sill, he had a Kimber “Super Match” me with my RIA. Shot for shot I matched him. So he shot the RIA and liked it. He said it was just as good as his kimber but a fourth the price. So there are good cheap (if you call $400 cheap) out there. Plus on the bright side you’ll have money left over for molds, dies, brass, powder and primers.

runfiverun
05-30-2012, 01:23 AM
i have an auto ordinance that i really like, and a norinco.

40Super
05-30-2012, 01:36 AM
Here is one of my targets from my,(cough)Taurus Pt1911,(25yrds offhand practicing for indoor bullseye comp), but I did put in a Kart barrel(the stock one would shoot as good,but would also have several fliers).

warf73
05-30-2012, 01:59 AM
Rock Island Arms, Tauras, Para-Ordnance, Remington are all under or right at $600 and are good quality built 1911's. If I was buying a 1911 it would probly be the Para-Ordnance but thats just me. If you bump up your money pool to $700 then you can add in Springfield, Kimber and Colt. Yes they are used guns but they are big names in the 1911 game and wouldn't shy away from them at all.

Lloyd Smale
05-30-2012, 05:33 AM
If i had only 600 to spend on a 1911 id pass on the new ones and go looking for a used kimber or springfield. Lots of times you can find guns that were barely fired for prices in that ballpark.

bobthenailer
05-30-2012, 06:52 AM
A big A+ on used guns thats about all i buy ! there are many bargins out there just have to bide you time and wait , sometimes a gun shop has them at a fair price but buying from a private seller is usually way to go for the best price.
Put up some advetising at the gun ranges , ect that you frequent, 1911 wanted.
I personaly have owned Colts , Springfirld Armory, Para Ordance , Caspian, A + on all

Willee
05-30-2012, 07:50 AM
Bought a new Springfield 1911 for $700 but I bet you could find one cheaper somewhere. Excellent workmanship but minus the frills found on their more expensive models. Shoots as good as any .45 auto I have ever had.

Willee
Corpus Christi

Southpaw 72
05-30-2012, 11:44 AM
RIA. Go to the 1911 forum and search there. I had one and it was a shooter. No malfunctions or problems of any kind.

mdi
05-30-2012, 11:48 AM
I own a Rock Island Arms 1911 M1A (not really an M1A but that's what they call it). First 1911 so the only 45 ACP I can compare it with is a Ruger P90 (a different kind of gun). I have been able to shoot 2" groups @ 15 yards with both factory ammo and handloads (230 FMJ Remington, 230 Magtech, cast Lyman 225, 195 SWC, and 230 RN. Most reloads used 231 and Unique, No Lee FCD used!!). Not one failure that could be blammed on the gun, the one failure to feed was my fault. After a few hundred rounds I changed the sights (forget the numbers but standard non adjustable sights from Brownell's), changed the grips to Rose Wood. I had an adjustable for over-travel trigger, but took it off 'cause the adjusting screw worked loose and I got a couple slam fires. Not so much a looker, but it works every time I pull the trigger...

Overall one of the best handguns I've purchased, and for about $450.00.

Tracy
05-30-2012, 12:14 PM
Like several others have pointed out, the Rock Island is a great 1911 for the price. I recommended one to a friend who was looking for a sub-$500 1911. He bought one for $350, and it has been 100% functional and an accurate shooter. He spent probably another $50 on a beavertail grip safety and Commander-style hammer, and is happy with it for a total of $400.

But you said high $600 range. For that price I would buy a Taurus. You can get one that already has upgraded sights, lowered and flared ejection port, beavertail grip safety, low profile hammer, and extended trigger, without going outside your budget. Plus you get the great Taurus lifetime warranty. Personally, I would buy one over a Springfield, and certainly over a Colt. And yes, I have had Springfield and Colt 1911s.

Springfields are made the same place Rock Islands are made, so why pay double for it? And Colt hasn't made anything I would waste my money on since they quit making revolvers.

bigboredad
05-30-2012, 12:37 PM
Never owned a rock island but have owned colts and springfields and a taurus pt1911. Currently picked up a springfield 1911a1 for 611 out the door and I'm more than happy with it

kenyerian
05-30-2012, 12:54 PM
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=289104331 Here is a Rock Island on Gun Broker

Cmemiss
05-30-2012, 01:34 PM
I currently own a Kimber ultra II (the 3" officer mod.) Springfield stainless loaded, a Sig STX, an STI Trojan and another STI Edge--both STIs are .40 S&W. I have also owned a Colt Gold Cup, a Rock Island two tone tactical, and some other mil spec 1911s. My advise, for the money, would be the Rock two tone tactical (I saw one last weekend at a gun show for $407 cash plus tax. My second recommendation would be the STI Spartan (about the same gun but with STI internails and slide, the frame is made by Armscore, parent of Rock Island.

mktacop
05-30-2012, 02:05 PM
One pistol that has not been mentioned here (that I saw) is the American Classic series made by Metro Arms in the Philippines. They certainly fall under the OPs price point and they are quality pistols with parts fit that rival much higher-prices pistols. I own 2 of these, the American Classic II (5" full-size), and the American Classic Amigo (3.5" Officer's Size).

alrighty
05-30-2012, 02:12 PM
I would not hesitate to buy a R.I.A. or a Springfield both are good guns.If I wanted a 1911A1 type with no bells and whistles they would be my choice.If I was wanting a pistol with extra's like dovetailed sights , high grip "beaver tail" and thumb safeties and a decent out of the box trigger I might go elsewhere.I like the Ruger SR1911 that has a good bang for the buck for $700.00 or the above mentioned STI Spartan , both leave nothing much to be desired.
I must warn you though , 1911's are very addictive and after you get a good one nothing else will come close in a semi auto!

EMC45
05-30-2012, 02:52 PM
RIA or SA.

Rick459
05-30-2012, 03:20 PM
http://www.classicfirearms.com/hand-guns/rock-island-armory-45-1911-model-gov-t-tactical-w-duracoat-finish

http://www.classicfirearms.com/hand-guns/para-ordnance-gi-ltc-45-gov-t-model-pistol

dualsport
05-30-2012, 03:39 PM
Charles Daly. Mine is a shooter, very nice finish and a few upgrades. Feeds anything.

Hamish
05-30-2012, 03:46 PM
To just flat out shoot, a full length mil-spec is the most comfortable (imo).
http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?version=15

To carry, a little shorter is more comfortable when you wear a little too much of momma's cookin'.
You would think it would be a firebreather, but it's *very* nice in the hand.
http://www.kimberamerica.com/1911/ultra-carry-ii/stainless-ultra-carry-ii

bowfin
05-30-2012, 04:35 PM
I’m going to get laughed at for this one.
I got a Rock Island Arms 1911A1 tactical for $400 a few years ago and I like it a lot.

I'm not laughing.

I hate to pass judgement based on a single example, but my nephew's RIA shoots well for a 1911, based on the Ruger and Smith & Wesson that shot side by side with it. It has also been dead reliable. In fact, the Smith & Wesson 1911 was traded based on what it could do vs. what the Rock Island Armory did at 25 yards.

Again, this only proved that one particular RIA 1911 was a good value. I'm an EAA Witness guy at heart.

pastor
05-30-2012, 04:39 PM
I have a rock island tactical in 45acp, i bought it about 4 months ago and i probably have about 5000 rounds through it and i have not had 1 problem with it, it feeds reliably with any type of ammo and is very accurate, the fit and finish is very good

highly recommended

CJR
05-30-2012, 04:50 PM
RIA.

Best regards,

CJR

40Super
05-30-2012, 04:58 PM
Bowfin, EAA Witness ++ yes very nice feel in the hands, I have a "stock".

beex215
05-30-2012, 05:30 PM
r1 seems like a nice buy but i would have to strech my budget some. same goes with the ruger sr. ive been wanting one of those forever. just cant find them in stock.

alot of people recommend ria and sti it seems. all suggestions are considered.

ALSO, i like stainless 1911.

4570guy
05-30-2012, 06:24 PM
I have a Taurus and have not been disappointed. I've owned it for 5 years and now have several thousand rounds through it. The weaknesses in the PT1911 are the magazines and the ambi safety. I use GI mil-spec and Wilson Combat mag's in mine with no issues. It also now has a Wilson Combat thumb safety. Overall, I'd say its been a very good pistol for the money - very accurate and reliable so long as you don't use the Taurus magazines. I carry it every day.

I've not shot the Ruger, but it sure looks good for the money.

fcvan
05-30-2012, 06:55 PM
I bought a Springfield Armory plain jane parkerized. I changed the grips and sights and have shot the heck out of it. When Colts were $400 I paid $269, but that was 25 years ago. You should be able to find a great shooter within your budget. Frank

KYCaster
05-30-2012, 07:20 PM
I currently own a Kimber ultra II (the 3" officer mod.) Springfield stainless loaded, a Sig STX, an STI Trojan and another STI Edge--both STIs are .40 S&W. I have also owned a Colt Gold Cup, a Rock Island two tone tactical, and some other mil spec 1911s. My advise, for the money, would be the Rock two tone tactical (I saw one last weekend at a gun show for $407 cash plus tax. My second recommendation would be the STI Spartan (about the same gun but with STI internails and slide, the frame is made by Armscore, parent of Rock Island.

One pistol that has not been mentioned here (that I saw) is the American Classic series made by Metro Arms in the Philippines. They certainly fall under the OPs price point and they are quality pistols with parts fit that rival much higher-prices pistols. I own 2 of these, the American Classic II (5" full-size), and the American Classic Amigo (3.5" Officer's Size).

Charles Daly. Mine is a shooter, very nice finish and a few upgrades. Feeds anything.

These guys pretty much have it covered. Everything I've seen from the Philippines recently looks pretty good.

If you're not familiar with the 1911 be very careful when considering a used gun. There are lots of do-it-yourself gunsmiths out there who don't mind trading off a gun they've trashed with poor workmanship.

Personally, I'd pass on Colt and Para Ordnance because of the passive firing pin safety, I've seen quite a few of them fail.......although I have to admit that I currently own two Paras, but I don't mind altering the gun to fit my needs..........a do-it-yourself gunsmiff.........:oops:

Good luck.
Jerry

Jailer
05-30-2012, 09:11 PM
Ruger, but not certain that it will fit your budget. Remington is 2nd choice.

Bill

The last time a place not too far from here had them in stock they were $575 + tax.

Blammer
05-30-2012, 10:26 PM
I wanted a 1911 in full sized for fun and stuff. Mostly because I didn't have one and wanted one. Money is tight so I picked up a RIA out the door for about $450.

I like it and would recommend it.

mpmarty
05-31-2012, 12:32 AM
Three years ago I bought a new Taurus 1911 and a Rock Island Tactical. I'll gladly sell the Taurus for less than $600 and wouldn't part with my RIA for anything. Great pistol.

ilcop22
05-31-2012, 01:04 AM
IIRC, as the old adage goes... Good, cheap and fast - You can pick two. Right now, the market is pretty slim on 1911's, most big companies aren't even taking orders. Patience might be your friend as you search for a good, low cost 1911. I'd avoid the discount 1911s. Save up a bit longer and get something that will last that you can pass down for generations. Just my 1/4 nickel.

Lloyd Smale
05-31-2012, 05:51 AM
I too own a trojan. i think it compares favorably to the les baer i had and for over 500 bucks less. I shot the snot out of my buddys spartan too and its one fine gun for a budget 1911 shopper. He had the spartan and a tarus he bought at close to the same time. He sold the tarus and still has the spartan if thats any endorsement.

markshere2
05-31-2012, 06:04 AM
I am delighted with my RIA. Used $400 with mags & holsters.

Lizard333
05-31-2012, 08:09 AM
Taurus PT1911. I have had mine for several years and have put thousands of rounds of cast through without a hick up. Lifetime warranty is also a plus. My dad liked it so much he bought one and he hasn't had any problems either. You get a lot of the same custom add on's that the other manufactures offer, for way less.

bowfin
05-31-2012, 10:57 AM
I just read a review by GunsAmerica on the Iver Johnson 1911. According to the article, it is on par with the Rock Island Armory (RIA) on both price and performance.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/iver-johnson-1911-series-the-9mm-eagle-new-gun-review/

Char-Gar
05-31-2012, 12:23 PM
No longer imported in to the US, but can be found on the used market is the Norinco 1911A1. I have two of them and paid $280 and $320, 6 years ago. Good solid basic pistols, but change out the springs with Wolfe springs.

gandydancer
05-31-2012, 12:31 PM
a Rock Island Arms 1911 tactical I have a smith & a Kimber 1911 and the RIA is just as good and at a hell of a better price. PS Ruger has one they say. I have never seen one as of yet. my buddy has one back in ct and says its great around $750.00 bucks.>> GD

MBTcustom
05-31-2012, 01:40 PM
I own and carry both RIA and Norinco. The RIA is just nice in every way, and the fit of the parts is great. I also like their version of the ambi-safety. Superior design on that one part.
The Norinco is made of better materials, but needed to be tuned for safety as the fit of the safety against the sear had much to be desired. No problem though, after market parts and a few quick strokes with a file fixed that. Now it shoots like a dream.
You really cant go wrong with either pistol, but I would be aware of the safety issues and have it checked by a smith before you carry cocked and locked.

1bluehorse
05-31-2012, 04:10 PM
I was going to remark about the Iver Johnson review but I see someone else beat me to it....the only 1911's I've ever owned were a couple Kimbers, good guns, but I think they're priced to high anymore. I don't do any of the alphabet shooting sports so have no need, or use for that type weapon anyway. Probably considered blasphemy but I don't particularly care for 1911's anyway...shot a Glock 23 the other day and was very impressed with MY performance with it...never cared much for them either but that day kinda changed my mind...ugly little sucker though...I understand beauty is in the eye of the beholder but this is what beauty looks like to me...

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg23/ruger45s/Bisley.jpg

Ziptar
05-31-2012, 04:19 PM
Got your C&R? The Colt 1927 Argentina Contract Sistemas can be had for less than $600.00.

That would be my preference, then the Norinco.

I might also go for a 1991A1 heard good stuff about them but, would like to shoot one first.

felix
05-31-2012, 04:32 PM
My son bought a brand new 1911 gun made by the national arms company in Turkey. The gun is an exact copy of the series 80, military plain jane version, and is brand-new CNC made all the way through. The delivered price was 360 last Christmas here in FSM. Yes, the gun needs trigger work, sights work, etc., when compared to the more target ready guns. Beer can accuracy at 25-50 yards out of the box with standard military loads. CNC manufacturing implies equal gun-to-gun accuracy. ... felix

turmech
06-01-2012, 12:09 AM
Another vote for the Rock Island armory. I like the features of tactical modle.

bruce drake
06-12-2012, 06:06 PM
Got your C&R? The Colt 1927 Argentina Contract Sistemas can be had for less than $600.00.

I might also go for a 1991A1 heard good stuff about them but, would like to shoot one first.

Have you seen the recent prices for a decent 1927 Systema? Closer to the 1K range. Great pistols with serious attention to detail when they were first built but a pig in a poke based off the 80+ years of use since they were built.

With that, I placed a Rock Island Armory Government Model on order with my local gundealer today. Total cost will be $408 out the door for a new pistol that many have expressed satisfaction with. It should be delivered in the next few weeks from his distributor.

Bruce

Old Caster
06-12-2012, 06:39 PM
I would have said RIA a few months ago if you wanted to go cheap and not have junk but now I most definitely would recommend The Metro. Check Bud's guns as I bought the last one called American Classic. He likely has more now and still had a more expensive one with a different rear sight. I was impressed that it would feed wadcutters and the slide to frame fit was excellent. The trigger was not bad either. I don't know why I bought it because I have quite a few different `1911's already but I saw one at a retail outfit and was impressed with it and found it a lot cheaper on line so I bought it. I thought about shooting it in the Ransom Rest and then doing one thing at a time to it and shoot it each time to see how much difference each procedure made. Somewhere down the line some new bullseye shooter will want it.-- Bill --

bruce drake
06-12-2012, 06:51 PM
My personal intention is to use the RIA as an intro pistol for Bullseye. The pistol's frame is the key component for further upgrades as I progress in BE.

I shot BE a few years ago with a S&W Model 22A and a Taurus 99AF for the Rimfire and Centerfire portions (its what I had at the time), but I've decided to use the RIA 45 for both Centerfire and Service model stages of fire for the next year's BE season and perhaps upgrade the S&W pistol for a Ruger 22/45 Target model later so I have the same grip angle for both pistols.

Bruce

Bullet Caster
06-12-2012, 09:59 PM
And I thought I was the only one with a Norinco 1911A1. Great pistol and when I bought it new many moons ago I only paid $299 for it. Just about worn the bluing off the muzzle being holstered so many times. Lol.

So good for you Char-Gar and Goodsteel. It's really a good weapon. BC

Lonerider
06-12-2012, 10:05 PM
+1 for the PT1911....I have had mine for several years now. Picked her up, for just a tish past $500. No complaints, shot every thing I've ran through her. Cast, hollows, SWC, hardball and so on. I liked that Taurus had some added features that I did not have to by after market accessories and take it to the gunsmith. At the time I bought her, there was no AMRICAN MADE 1911 in my price range. One of the other forums I am a part of, suggested looking at the PT-1911.....I did and do not regret the purchase. Its all steel and I am confident enough to have a Rowland 460 kit for her and she shoot just find with those hot .45 loads.

If Ruger would offer their 1911 in a blue, I would not hesitate to own one. I can not speak for the other brands that have been talked about.

But what I do know is, that my Taurus PT-1911 works great...inspite of some gumbling against her.

Something I might suggest and in which you are already started....take the time to research what appeals to you. It was a year and half, before I purchased the PT 1911...siffting through all the garbage about Taurus. Maybe at one time the bad press was valid....not sure that is the case now...at least not with my PT-1911.

Regardles of what model you choose....there will ALWAYS be neysayers...telling you why you should not own this or owned that....just smile at them and tell them to go to hell in a gentle voice. Yours choice is yours and yours own...only you know what your needs are and what will speak to you. I am a firm believer, that regardless of the brand....you will know the one that is for you....might be the atmophere of the store, connecting with man across the counter, a chip on the grips....or some other wierd set of circumstances....but it wont matter, because when the time is right....you will know and you will choose based on your criteria and its going to be just fine. From that point on, it will not matter what others say.

I still get harassed after all these years about my PT-1911 not being a Kimber or Colt or what ever....and you know what...doesn't bother me a bit....because I know that what I have....still shoots better then I am able to.

Good luck and good hunting.

Lonerider

soldierbilly1
06-13-2012, 07:22 AM
First, at your price point, I would buy used. Second, look at the Ruger 45, they used to sell the P 345, which was known for its out of the box accuracy. it is a good solid firearm. I believe they are below your $600 guideline.
I have a Kimber Custom II. Its a fine shooter but they go for about $800 now, new, and today, I would buy something else. Yes, it is overpriced.
go used!!
billy boy

Stephen Cohen
06-13-2012, 08:06 AM

I have to say Im supprised an American would plug the Norinco, I had one myself and it was a really great gun and shot as well as my springfield factory comp. Some very good race guns were made with Norinco frames and slides.

Ziptar
06-13-2012, 08:45 AM
I have to say Im supprised an American would plug the Norinco, I had one myself and it was a really great gun and shot as well as my springfield factory comp. Some very good race guns were made with Norinco frames and slides.

I'm not picky. :p We are talking about a sub $600 1911. While either isn't perfect they're a good start for someone on a budget. For the cost either is better than a Llama or Ballister Molina.

Just as you said, many have been tweaked into a fine race gun.

Don't get me wrong I'm not 100% pluging chicom by any means. 99.999999999% of what comes from China is junk.

Have to admit however Norinco made a decent 1911 copy. Their Winchester 1897 copies aren't bad either.

Mavrick
06-15-2012, 04:31 PM
Four years ago, I bought a Firestorm, from the Filipines.It cost $666.-- OTD with a Yaqui-slide, and two more 8-round mags.
It is CNC, with wide-beavertail safty, extended safety, extended slide-release, lowered ejection-port, and dove-tail rear sight. The only thing I did before running over 10K of boolits through it, was replace the front sight with fiber-optic, install an extended mag-release, and pin the grip safety.
I use it for Steel Challenge, and to try every possible combination of powder I can find. I want to know what can and can't be used in a .45. I use two boolits in it, the Lee 160RF and the Lyman 452374, with every lube I could think of.
It feeds anything I try, faultlessly, unless I load it so low that it can't help but malfunction. (I wanted to find the minimum possible)
Last year I took second in the Nevada State Steel Challenge (Class B) This year I intend to move up, and have bought a Tanfoglio Limited in .40 'cause I don't like the way I lost last year.
The Firestorm's not goin' anywhere...she's too reliable.
Have fun,
Gene

Grandpas50AE
06-15-2012, 08:33 PM
I bought a slightly used Kimber Pro Carry HD II a few years ago for $600. Feeds anything I put in it and shoots more accurately than my aging eyes are capable of. With the all steel frame it balances really well too, and reduces felt recoil (as if that's really needed with .45ACP). Nothing wrong with a used gun, just have to know what to look for to weed out the keepers from the "I shouldn't have ever bought this junker".

Lots of folks at my range have started with the Mil-Spec Springers, and all shoot well as far as I can tell. They may not have a bunch of bells and whistles, but they shoot good.

Good luck.

Crash_Corrigan
06-16-2012, 12:50 AM
I bought a Taurus 1911 when they first appeared in my gun shop locally. I have never regretted it. \

I had a Ruger P 90 in SS at the time and that thing felt like a brick in my hand and was plug ugly but wow could it deliver the loadings downrange.

It was pretty near perfect except being ugly and cumbersome for me. However it could take abuse and never failed me. I carried it around as an armed guard for a few years and I felt confident with it.

Ah the Taurus was an entirely different kettle of fish. Good looking, balanced and felt great in my hand. I paid a skosh of $500 out the door and I have never looked back. It is a highly underrated weapon. It comes with hundreds of dollars of extras which you have to pay for with a RIA. Air gauged barrel, lowered and flared ejection port, elongated beaver tail safety, ambi safety, very decent sights,commander style hammer, front and rear grooves on the slide etc. There are more but you get a very accuracte and reliable well made 1911 for a decent price.

I have run over 6,000 rounds though mine and I finally just replaced the recoil spring. Not because it was needed but because of the round count. I get 1.25" groups of 5 rounds at 25 yds from a rest with my reloads. The trigger is excellent at 3.25# and is crisp and reliable.

It has had only possibly one box of 50 factory rounds through it and that was just so I could be sure where they would print on the target and the recoil and velocity.

After that I just used Clays at 4.5 grains and a 200 gr LSWC boolit to achieve the same velocity and POI as the factory round.

I have had no problems with the supplied two 8 round Taurus mags. I also have 3 Colt 7 round mags and two McCormick 10 round power mags. The gun eats anything I feed it and never burps.

The only negative thing I can say is that the finish on the gun is not durable. I had it reblued and changed out the grips and it is now gorgeous.

I love it and I would recommend it to anybody who wants a 1911.

Grandpas50AE
06-16-2012, 09:19 AM
1bluehorse.... those are some very purdy revolvers young man!

sqlbullet
06-16-2012, 05:44 PM
For $600, Springfield GI or Remington R1.

If you only want to spend $400, RIA.

Here is a great guide (http://www.1911addicts.com/showthread.php?511-Buyer-s-guide-for-all-you-1911-addicts...).

tacofrank
06-16-2012, 06:18 PM
I've been very happy with my Springfield Armory Mill Spec.