PDA

View Full Version : You bought a what?!

Bret4207
04-18-2007, 08:34 PM
A 1955 IHC dump truck. At least I think I did or am.... or something. So anyway, anyone know where I could find a kind of photo history of the IHC trucks in the 50's? The sites I found, oldihc.com or something like that, are shy on photo's. I saw the truck last fall and it's in fantastic sahpe, but I didn't catch the model number. I think it's in the "S" series, but could be an "R". The guy that has it now says it's a "B100', that's a pick up and I'd say this is around a 3-5 ton truck. Single ax, 6 cyl gas, 5/2 tranny, nice commercial dunp box 10-12' long. Darn things across his "yard" which is a swamp at the moment and I can't get to it. Drives ya nuts when ya want to look at some new toy and it's just dangling there out of reach.

Oh yeah- $600.00, and he just redid all the brake system! Now to talk him into throwing the big Cummins Generator (3 phase- about 2 gazillion KW) into the deal.

TDB9901
04-18-2007, 09:49 PM
He who dies with the most toys wins...
Sounds like a good find if you need a hauler..
Only problem will be affording gas to put in it. Those old six cylinders have plenty of torque, but they are not much on the economy end.

Tom

NVcurmudgeon
04-19-2007, 01:09 AM
Sounds like a good old truck. TDB is correct on mpg. I drove a lot of Cornbinder medium bobtails to large tractors, both 6 and 8 cyl in the sixties and seventies. Four mpg is about it.

Four Fingers of Death
04-19-2007, 02:25 AM
We used those extensively in the Aussie Army. As long as you could keep th efuel up to them, you were in business!

Bret4207
04-19-2007, 07:55 AM
For a farm truck it'll be fine. Not like I'm going over the road with it. A load of waste stone will cost about $7.00 at the pit, $160.00 delivered. I can pump a lot of gas for that kind of savings, and farm plates are cheap. Insurance isn't, but I don't have to keep it on the road only 3-4 months a year.

Besides, this is asclose as I'll get to a"classic car".

schutzen
04-19-2007, 09:19 AM
Understanding that different states have different insurance laws, you might want to re-check your insurance. As long as I keep a "farm plate" on my 2 ton liability only insurance (100K-300K) is $68 per year. The caveat is the "farm plate" limits my operation of the truck to within 150 miles of my farm and for farm related hauling only. For the break on the insurance, I can abide by the limitations. Different companies are oriented to different clientele. You may need to check on companies that are oriented towards small farmers. I don't know if they write policies in your state, but Ohio Farmers Insurance is a very good company for small farmers. They bundle your house, car, farm liability, and farm trunk insurance in to a package deal that is very reasonable. More importantly they live up to the terms of their policies.

corvette8n
04-19-2007, 12:20 PM
Congrats Tpr. Bret Now you gotta restore it! lol :mrgreen:

TDB9901
04-19-2007, 01:37 PM
Better make sure everything is up to snuff. I hear the law in that part of the land is pretty strict on carrier enforcement and such.[smilie=1:

Bret4207
04-19-2007, 02:53 PM
Yeah, I know all about the "law" around here!

I stopped and waded across his "yard". It's an R170 and other than a few cosmetic blemishes it's pretty nice. Got 60K original miles on it. Crazy huh?

Restore it? That'd be like "restoring" my 52 Winchester. Some things you just leave alone!

medic44
04-19-2007, 03:20 PM
I've been looking for a truck like that. It would look great with my 1951 Orange Allis HD5G track loader on a trailer behind it.

Bret4207
04-19-2007, 05:11 PM
It'd look even better with the AC loading it. I know my JD 1010 crawler loader will be loading this one!

So I guess you'd be one of the brethren that understands the love/hate relationship a guy can have with tracks eh?

medic44
04-19-2007, 11:00 PM
nothing like the feel of moving dirt w/ tracks. I threw a track while at the bottom of a 5 ft trench. Sometimes you got to hate them too.

TDB9901
04-20-2007, 09:58 AM
When I was growing up, the ranch we lived on for several years had a little JD 530 crawler. I loved to get to drive it. :-D It got used more than nearly any other piece of machinery on the place, especially during the winter.

Would like to have one like it, not sure what for, but I'd find something to do with it. :twisted:

Tom

Buckshot
04-22-2007, 01:17 AM
..............Ah, good ole cast iron ............. the Detroit wonder metal :-). A few months back I ran across a website that was a tribute to some EMD F series diesel locomotives sold to Denmark not too long after WW2. They were double ended locomotives, but other then that looked 'American'. There were lots of photos and their history.

The Danes used them for freight and passenger service both. They were in service for over 50 years and when they came off the mainline they still had lots of life as several were sold to other countries. Apparently the Danes thought highly of them as they had a big retirement shindig for them.

I guess we used to make some good stuff. I undertsand too that Russians still call big trucks 'Studebaskis :-)

..................Buckshot

Four Fingers of Death
04-22-2007, 04:34 AM
nothing like the feel of moving dirt w/ tracks. I threw a track while at the bottom of a 5 ft trench. Sometimes you got to hate them too.

Yep, my only experience with tracks was when I was in the armoured corps with Centurions. I spent about equal time in Infantry and Armour, but did a powerful lot more digging with the tanks. Bigggggggggggggggg holes too!

Mohillbilly
04-27-2007, 06:58 PM
I gota buddy a mile down the hill from me and he breaths IH red, got a road tractor,4 door pu,travelall.deepfreez,fridge,super A,M,an a dozen asorted cadets.He still kinda takes a shine to my JD 350 highlift(65) when he thinks I'm not look'n.... About the gass you cant keep it in any of them I think they must all leak outa the tailpipe......

DLCTEX
04-27-2007, 09:58 PM
I drove a small John Deere crawler(don't remember the numbers) in 1961 to pack silage in a pit. After a few days the silage began to cook, and that heat combined with the hot Texas sun in August in that pit where every breeze was blocked was an experience I have yet to forget. When I hear of or see a J.D. crawler, I start sweating. DALE