PDA

View Full Version : Nose engraving on my 308?

Willyp
05-29-2012, 03:18 AM
I have cast my bullets so as the nose of the bullet can be pushed down the bore. It is very snug to won't go past the ogive,where it starts to engrave the nose.
2 questions: Will this cause a leading problem,or any other problem? Next,should i lube the nose of the bullet,to hold back leading?
If this system is too tight,what is the proper size,over the bore measurement, to cast to fit the bore?
I had to Beagle a couple of new molds[Lymans] to get them bigger than 308,even with a #2 lead mix,hence the nose enlarged!

duck hollow pete
05-29-2012, 09:41 AM
no,no, if you like,but not needed. If you needed to beagle new molds to get over .308 with #2 alloy something else is wrong!

popper
05-29-2012, 10:07 AM
As duck hollow pete says. 1-2 thous over groove should do it. If A SA rifle, don't engrave the nose at all. If a bolt, make sure neck tension is correct or you may pull - on ejection; or set back - on loading; the CB when engraving. Lube on the nose may attract crud.

MBTcustom
05-29-2012, 08:47 PM
Your understanding of what causes leading is skewed.
Let me ask you a question: Why don't air rifles ever have any problems with leading even though they shoot 1200 FPS with unlubed, unchecked, soft lead projectiles?
Leading is not caused by abrasion!!! It is caused by gas cutting from the other end of your projectiles. You need to ditch that Lyman *** and get a mold that is made by folks who know what a good boolit is. I highly recommend Accurate Molds. That outfit knows how to do it. You can describe your chamber/neck/throat/bore as well as the alloy that you intend to cast, and Tom will make it so that your boolits drop within .0003 of what you stated. Those molds are worth every penny.
Lymans lack of quality and customer service is legendary.
As far as your boolits fit in the chamber, you have nothing to worry about. Lead boolits are like silly-putty compared to jacketed bullets. As long as you are not sliding them halfway down the barrel and trying to shoot them, you will be fine. However, it stinks when you go to eject a live round and it leaves the boolit stuck in the bore because the nose was too big. You get powder all over the inside of your gun, and you need a cleaning rod to poke the boolit out.

Willyp
05-30-2012, 01:29 AM
Thank you Tim,Pete and Popper.
The view count,on my question,is over 135 and i only had 3 folks give me a reply!

popper
05-30-2012, 11:12 AM
If we don't force manufacturers to FIX their stuff, we will continue to get JUNK. I've got 2 Lee rifle Die sets that I wouldn't GIVE to anyone but new die are less $$ than sending back.

Char-Gar
05-30-2012, 01:01 PM
I have cast my bullets so as the nose of the bullet can be pushed down the bore. It is very snug to won't go past the ogive,where it starts to engrave the nose.
2 questions: Will this cause a leading problem,or any other problem? Next,should i lube the nose of the bullet,to hold back leading?
If this system is too tight,what is the proper size,over the bore measurement, to cast to fit the bore?
I had to Beagle a couple of new molds[Lymans] to get them bigger than 308,even with a #2 lead mix,hence the nose enlarged!

To give a direct answer to your question: No it won't cause leading and there is no need to lubricate the nose.

I doubt your "system" is too tight. If your loaded rounds will chamber with easy there are no problem. If the nose gets so big, that you have to force the rounds into the chamber, then you need to get a smaller nose.

There are so many variables in bullet design, bullet alloy temper, rifle chambers, rifle throats and rifling style there is no standard number for the nose size viz-a-vi the bore/land diameter.

On most commercial 30 caliber rifles a nose of .300 - .301 is just the ticket, and .302 will be just fine, if the alloy is not rock hard and the bullet nose gosh awful long.With military rifles these numbers can be all over the map, measuring the rifles specs is in order

The body of the bullet is best sized to fit the barrel throat and not the lands. On most commercial 30 caliber rifles .310 is a good starting place, if you don't want to measure throat. 30 caliber military rifles often have larger thoats and some like the Krag can be huge.

NSP64
05-30-2012, 04:53 PM
Thank you Tim,Pete and Popper.
The view count,on my question,is over 135 and i only had 3 folks give me a reply!

If you want 100 people telling you the same thing then more people will chime in. goodsteel has it pretty wrapped up.