PDA

View Full Version : 300 win mag, who else??

XWrench3
05-28-2012, 07:44 PM
i am curious, how many other guys or girls are crazy enough to try this? and how many of you have found good loads for it. i used to have a sub 1/2 moa load, but i had a mishap,[smilie=b:[smilie=b:[smilie=b: that required a barrel change. since then, i have been struggling. i have several good "j" loads, but cast in this bbl has been a challenge.

bowenrd
05-29-2012, 10:40 AM
A 311284 dropping at 210 gr. w/gas check and IMR SR 4759 @ 2100 FPS give me 1/2" groups at 100 yds in a Ruger M77 300WM.

Hope this will give you something to work on.

MBTcustom
05-29-2012, 08:34 PM
What kind of barrel did you have put on that sucker? A factory takeoff? Or was it a good quality aftermarket barrel? What was teh competence level of the smith who replaced it?
Sometimes the littlest thing makes a huge difference in accuracy. If the guy didn't know how to properly indicate and true up the new barrel with the action, you wont have a shooter.
I shoot a 300winmag but I only run jacketed bullets in it. The twist is not fast enough to stabilize a long heavy boolit, and if I was going to shoot a 180 grain projectile at cast velocities, I would use a 308.
My rifle is capable of a 1" group @ 100 yards if everything is done right. Any aftermarket barrel, properly installed, would probably cut that group in half.