PDA

View Full Version : Nagant revolvers

frkelly74
05-28-2012, 01:47 PM
I am listening and I hear one of the nagant revolvers calling me, I had just had a near brush with getting a 22 revolver and have not gotten completely over that , and I held one of the russian guns in my hand. A 44 Tula that looked new in every respect @ $140 with a holster and cleaning rod. I only escaped because the russian no reload ammo was $10 for 14 round package ,and I have sold my 32 bullet mold, and I didn't see any 32/20 brass in the store. I really don't need another gun to try to keep ammo for but I was really taken with the feel of the gun and the price. I know you can spend a lot more and get a much less durable gun.

The salesman started in on how you can shoot any 32 cal ammo in a Nagant and I told him that I had seen some of the brass that comes from firing the gun that way and he pretty much shut up after that, but still $140. If the permit to purchase law gets repealed I may have to celebrate it with one of them. And a mold and dies and brass on and on.....

richhodg66
05-28-2012, 02:08 PM
I've also been intrigued by them lately. That whole business of the cylinder moving forward to seal up the gap is an idea I wonder why never caught on. Seems ingenious, especially for a Russian design.

A young guy at the range the other day had one and was shooting some ammo made for it, Privi stuff I think, that was reloadable. I have a .32 Wadcutter mold that ought to work great in one of those revolvers.

Charley
05-28-2012, 02:45 PM
A salesman is a salesman, which is a more polite way of saying he's lying SOB. I'd stick to ammo made from reformed .32/20 brass, or factory.

MtGun44
05-28-2012, 08:59 PM
"ingenious solution to a non-existent problem." To quote Col. Cooper, although
he was talking about the double action semi-auto

Bill

Wayne Smith
05-28-2012, 09:06 PM
There is ammo now available that can be reloaded. It is full length, and the ones I saw were nickled cases - may not last very long. I think it was $25 for 50 at the store yesterday.

richhodg66
05-28-2012, 09:34 PM
There is ammo now available that can be reloaded. It is full length, and the ones I saw were nickled cases - may not last very long. I think it was $25 for 50 at the store yesterday.

Anyone know what kind of dies to reload it? Would standard .32 S&W Long dies work?

fatelk
05-28-2012, 10:53 PM
I loaded mine using .30 carbine dies until I bought a Lee set in 7.62 Nagant. A lot of people do shoot .32 short, long, and mag ammo in them from what I hear. I load mine using .32-20 brass and they work fine.

There is lots of good info and data on these in the pistol forum.

leftiye
05-29-2012, 03:11 PM
Sarco has Star Modelo Super peestolaz for about that (9mm Bergman/ largo, =9X23, kickum butt). Mucho mas peestola gringo!

Ed Barrett
05-29-2012, 09:29 PM
Starline makes new brass for the Nagant. A friend of mine has used it for at least 8 reloads and it seems

x101airborne
05-29-2012, 11:51 PM
Do a search under my user name to find the small article I did on modifying the nagant revolver to use 32-20 brass and the accuracy gained. It worked well and it only took me about 2 hours. I am using lee dies specifically made for using the 32-20 brass.

bbs70
05-30-2012, 10:35 AM
Went to the range yesterday and ran into a guy I know, he had just bought a 7.62 Nagant pistol.
I personally know nothing about them, so I'm just going on what he told me.

The gun looked brand new, but he said they were rebuilt guns from the Russian army, his had 1943 stamped on it.
A 7 shot, he said it had only 5 moving parts and cost him about $125 just for the gun.
I thought it was interesting how the cylinder moved forward.
He had bought some ammo, I think it was Privi, he had trouble ejecting the emptys, he had to use a brass rod to get some of them to eject.
But besides that it worked perfectly.

Just wondering if anyone else had trouble with ejecting spent rounds?

rond
05-30-2012, 02:42 PM
Went to the range yesterday and ran into a guy I know, he had just bought a 7.62 Nagant pistol.
I personally know nothing about them, so I'm just going on what he told me.

The gun looked brand new, but he said they were rebuilt guns from the Russian army, his had 1943 stamped on it.
A 7 shot, he said it had only 5 moving parts and cost him about $125 just for the gun.
I thought it was interesting how the cylinder moved forward.
He had bought some ammo, I think it was Privi, he had trouble ejecting the emptys, he had to use a brass rod to get some of them to eject.
But besides that it worked perfectly.

Just wondering if anyone else had trouble with ejecting spent rounds?

Chambers may be rough. I have a 1944 that has one chamber that is enlarged, splits the case, I left a split case in it so now it is a six shooter. I have a 1929 that is in excellent condition, much nicer finish. I'm sure the quality control wasn't as important for the WWII guns.

bonza
05-30-2012, 07:53 PM
"That whole business of the cylinder moving forward to seal up the gap is an idea I wonder why never caught on. Seems ingenious, especially for a Russian design."

It's actually a Belgian design, adopted/adapted by the Russians.

Artful
05-30-2012, 08:35 PM
Mine, using Hott Shott - Prvi Partizan under another name - works great - NOT real powerful but
I bought like 10 boxes so I have not started reloading for it - you can get dies from RCBS for an arm and a leg - or Lee makes one for reasonable - only thing is you have to modify to seat the bullets in longer case (so it's below the mouth). I'll use my Co-ax press so I don't have to buy a special shell holder. It's a fun gun to shoot suppressed.
http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/6046/1895nagantrevolverbarrezr7.jpg
http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/7932/dsc06046k.jpg

Here's the you tube that got me to spend as much on custom threading the barrel as the revolver cost me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvF4yurWSc0

WRideout
06-01-2012, 07:11 AM
I got mine when they were still under $100.00. I thought they would go up in price once the supply became more limited. I posted a couple of times earlier on my reloads using PRVI brass and 30 Carb dies. With the 100 gr 30 cal Lee boolit, I can go up to 5.5 gr Unique, but recoil is a bit stout with the smallish grips on that gun. Now I use 5.3 gr Unique, and find it is fun to shoot, with quite a muzzle blast. It has a couple of peculiarities; I have to run it through the taper crimp die to get the mouth small enough to "chamber" in the end of the barrel. Also the boolits would back out of the case during recoil, and lock up the cylinder, so I run them through the sizer one more time after boolit seating, which seems to cure the problem.

Wayne