PDA

View Full Version : Casting In The Movies

762 shooter
05-28-2012, 06:48 AM
Real boolit casting in the movies.

Watched "Sargent York" for the first time in a while last night.

They devoted about 10 seconds to a guy casting round balls at the fire between the "turkey shoot" and the "cut the center shoot".

Casting is going mainstream.:popcorn:

Janoosh
05-28-2012, 07:16 AM
I don't quite remember correctly whether there is any casting in "Valdez is Coming", but there is some reloading with hand tools. Isn't there some casting in "the Patriot"?

Bret4207
05-28-2012, 07:38 AM
Watched most of Sgt York last night too, again. Coops best role IMO.

Yes, The Patriot has casting, although he's doing it all wrong and there are a few others. Most folks don't give it a thought and seem to assume the frontiersman stopped by the local Gander Mt and picked up his ammo.

05-28-2012, 08:54 AM
Brian Kieth's character teaches Steve McQueen's character how to cast as part of teaching him how to survive.

Brasso
05-28-2012, 08:57 AM
"Quigley Down Under" had a short scene about handloading for his Sharps.

Sam

GrizzLeeBear
05-28-2012, 09:11 AM
Wesley Snipes casting silver bullets (to kill vampires, of course) in "Blade".
Looked to me like he was using a 2 cavity Lee mould, which seems odd. In reality, I think he would have opted for a 6 cavity to feed the full auto guns he used.:2gunsfiring_v1:

darkroommike
05-28-2012, 10:09 AM
Re: the Patriot, it;s more about the symbolism, melting down the last of his son;s toy soldiers, for his last big fight with the Evil Banastaer.

Re: Blade, I suspect that the undead have a lot more spare time for casting than I do and for his application a 2 cavity mold is fine.

11B-101ABN
05-28-2012, 10:32 AM
I recall several of the "Daniel Boone" TV series where he was casting bullets on a small table but he was using his bare hands so it was obvious everything was cold. Hollywood rarely gets ANYTHING correct especially weapons related segments, from the old cowboy shows where a six shooter would fire 20 times before reloading, to Arnold Swartznegger holding a M-134 Mini gun in his arms and firing for minutes on end. They totally sidestep the fact that a supersonic bullet cannot be silenced, and usually the bad guy with a scoped rifle 100 yards away will miss the good guy by three feet warning him to duck, then return fire with a pistol and hit the rifleman on the second shot. Those actors that live in a make-believe world, use stunt-doubles, makeup, prosthetics, and read rhetoric written by others, are often called to comment on everything from politics to Alar in apples, with complete disregard for either accuracy or truth. I tend to ramble, but what can we expect from an industry permeated with libs. OOPS, they want to be called "Progressives" now.

duck hollow pete
05-28-2012, 10:40 AM
watched it again too, one of the prizes was to get to dig the lead out of the tree. Maybe that"s why they issued him a low number springfield, he was conversed in casting?

1Shirt
05-28-2012, 11:19 AM
It's a toss up for me w/Coop's pictures between "Sgt York", and "High Noon"!
1Shirt!

MW3840
05-28-2012, 11:40 AM
Wasn't there a western where Brian Keith and Robert Preston are buffalo hunters and sitting around the campfire either casting or loading shells?

3006guns
05-28-2012, 01:06 PM
I recall several of the "Daniel Boone" TV series where he was casting bullets on a small table but he was using his bare hands so it was obvious everything was cold. Hollywood rarely gets ANYTHING correct especially weapons related segments, from the old cowboy shows where a six shooter would fire 20 times before reloading, to Arnold Swartznegger holding a M-134 Mini gun in his arms and firing for minutes on end. They totally sidestep the fact that a supersonic bullet cannot be silenced, and usually the bad guy with a scoped rifle 100 yards away will miss the good guy by three feet warning him to duck, then return fire with a pistol and hit the rifleman on the second shot. Those actors that live in a make-believe world, use stunt-doubles, makeup, prosthetics, and read rhetoric written by others, are often called to comment on everything from politics to Alar in apples, with complete disregard for either accuracy or truth. I tend to ramble, but what can we expect from an industry permeated with libs. OOPS, they want to be called "Progressives" now.

Well, yeah..........but how do you REALLY feel??:kidding:

littlejack
05-28-2012, 01:46 PM
In ther movie "Silver Bullet" with Gary Busy, his neice and nephew gathered silver jewelry,
and had the old caster/reloader cast a boolit of silver to kill the werewolf.
When the old fella finished seating the boolit, he stated, "Some of my best work, has a low
grain load so it won't tumble" Hollywood got that part wrong too.
It made for a very good scene of the movie though.
Jack

Doby45
05-28-2012, 01:58 PM
In at least one episode of "Little house on the prairie", Pa was seen casting musket balls for that monstrosity he hung over his fireplace.

luvmy40
05-28-2012, 04:34 PM
Not a movie but The tv series Supernatural regularly shows the protagonists reloading shot shells on a Lee LoadAll 2. Though they are loading with salt, not shot.

An old Disney movie, "Johnny Tremain" has a scene where the lead character is casting shot for the continental underground and spills lead when discovered by the redcoats. He burns his hand severely in the accident.

djoiner
05-28-2012, 04:38 PM
yea, I watched York last night also. I picked up on the comment about 6th place getting to dig the lead out of the tree. I was also all ears when York read off the ser # on his Springfield. What a great movie. See yall later. "Ima gunna be commin back."

WILCO
05-28-2012, 04:40 PM
"Quigley Down Under" had a short scene about handloading for his Sharps.

Sam

And a small "How To" on punching holes into a water bucket. :bigsmyl2:

Walter Laich
05-28-2012, 06:45 PM
Actually in Johnny Tremain he is casting a new teapot for Mr Lyte on the Sabboth and slips and burns his hand and later all his fingers, "...growed together." (the movie version). In the book it's an order for John Hancock that goes awry---was a 5th grade teacher for 35 years and must have seen the Disney movie over 20 times.

On the Mythbusters Jamie does some casting but is smacking the mold like crazy to get the bullet out. Never let the mold get up to temp, just used the first couple.

walt

GOPHER SLAYER
05-28-2012, 06:58 PM
Several years ago The American Rifleman had an article about Sergant York in which it was stated that he was never issued a Springfield but rather an Enfield. It was also stated that on York's return to the America his rifle was stolen.

luvmy40
05-28-2012, 07:19 PM
Wow, The things that happen to your(my) memories over the years. I would swear that Johnny was casting boolits and the teapot was a cover story for the Brits. Oh well, it was still a good movie compared the garbage that Disney is doing these days.

Actually in Johnny Tremain he is casting a new teapot for Mr Lyte on the Sabboth and slips and burns his hand and later all his fingers, "...growed together." (the movie version). In the book it's an order for John Hancock that goes awry---was a 5th grade teacher for 35 years and must have seen the Disney movie over 20 times.

On the Mythbusters Jamie does some casting but is smacking the mold like crazy to get the bullet out. Never let the mold get up to temp, just used the first couple.

walt

darkroommike
05-29-2012, 08:26 AM
A little digression, my wife (who supports, God bless her, but doesn't really understand my shooting hobby) quoted me a passage from one of the Little House books about Pa cleaning his black powder rifle and Laura Ingalls Wilder recalled it very well, including Pa using boiling water down the barrel to remove the powder fouling. (We're from South Dakota and take the Little House books pretty seriously.)

bob208
05-29-2012, 08:40 AM
in the movie unforgiven with burt lancaster he is mealting down lead soldiers for bullets when they are fighting in the house.

rockrat
05-29-2012, 09:02 AM
In "Constantine", Shia LaBoeuf (sp?) is melting down silver and casting slugs, then loading them in shotshells, to use on the evil ones

Blue Hill
05-29-2012, 09:22 AM
Isn't there a scene in Day Of The Jackal, where the Jackal is custom building his ammo and loading the Boolits with mercury so they explode on impact?
Blue

MBTcustom
05-29-2012, 11:29 AM
I love the scene in "Silver Bullet" where Gary Busey's friend the "master gunsmith" legend feller, casts silver (melting point 1640F) into a Lee two cavity mold made of aluminum (melting point of 1220F) and for the record he said it was a low grain load so that it would tumble.
I also like the movie "Shooter". although quite accurate on several different points, the old gunsmith says that the government dug out one of the hero's bullets from the berm, paper patched it, and then shot the guy standing next to the president from a mile away. That is pure, unadulterated BS.

Char-Gar
05-29-2012, 11:37 AM
In the mid-50's there was a movie entitled "The Last Hunt" with Stewart Granger. It was about buffalo hunting back in the day. There was quite a bit of Sharps rifle shooting, loading of rounds, and bullet casting IIRC.

There was some footage of real buffalo kills done to thin the herd at Custer State Park in South Dakota. Because of these real kills, the movie never made it to CD and hasn't been seen in this country for decades.

There are some CD bootleg copies filmed off a screen somewhere outside of the US.

montana_charlie
05-29-2012, 12:44 PM
In an episode of Miami Vice, they had confiscated some casting gear from the home of a suspect.
The blond, female, weapons expert, (forgot her name) casts a sample round ball which is supposed to be the kind of 'buckshot' used to kill a victim.

She makes the pour leaving almost no sprue, knocks the sprue plate over with ten tiny taps from a claw hammer, and opens the mould to drop the casting onto the bench.
She immediately picks it up between thumb and forefinger (protected by a magic(?) latex glove) for a close examination.

Yep. The marks left by the mould and sprue plate are identical to those found on the buckshot dug out of the victim ...

H.Callahan
05-29-2012, 02:45 PM
In the sci-fi TV series "Falling Skies", the resistance was seen casting bullets out of "alien metal" (that looked suspiciously just like lead) and then reloading in a school lab with a bunch of Rock Chuckers that had been bolted to the lab tables. Of course, the "alien metal" bullets (or would that be "boolits"?) blew holes into the alien armor that you could drive a truck through.

I wonder if I can pick some of that stuff up at the scrap yard? Maybe we could start a group buy...

rhbrink
05-29-2012, 03:03 PM
I was watching the Mythbusters quite a while back when the one that wears the coyboy hat was casting a minie ball for a civil war musket for one of their messed up shows. He was using a Lee mold and over poured the boolit had lead all over the mold and then quickly plunged the mold and handles into a coffee can full of water. "Now don't you all do this at home WE ARE EXPERTS". Not to worry I won't!

dakotashooter2
05-29-2012, 03:56 PM
The Patriot..... melt toy soldier, pour in mold, drop ball onto cloth, pick up and examine.............................Must have had some pretty good tollerance for heat....... OUCH.........

Texantothecore
05-29-2012, 04:07 PM
The Patriot..... melt toy soldier, pour in mold, drop ball onto cloth, pick up and examine.............................Must have had some pretty good tollerance for heat....... OUCH.........

The bullet Mel Gibson cast was wrinkled. Mold too cool.

hahaha!

montana_charlie
05-29-2012, 05:28 PM
So was Mel ... 'too cool', that is.

Texantothecore
05-29-2012, 06:11 PM
So was Mel ... 'too cool', that is.

Yep. One of my favorite movies.

MBTcustom
05-29-2012, 09:32 PM
I wasn't too tore up about "The Patriot" if you look at some of those old RB molds that had the sprue cutter built into the handles, you can see that the handles are very short and made of the same metal as the mold blocks. I don't think they worried about heating up the mold for those ones! I believe that the molds like what Mel used in the movie, were used cold and nobody cared too awful much about wrinkly boolits.

Thumbcocker
05-29-2012, 09:36 PM
"Lives of a Bengal Lancer" circa 1938 or 39. Coop plays a Canadian in a Brit Lancer Regiment. Great way to cover his accent. When the hill people or Afgans are preparing for battle there is a short scene of a gang mould in use and scooping black powder into Martini cases. Good film still making the rounds on the late shows.

Silver Eagle
05-29-2012, 09:40 PM
There was an episode of "Criminal Minds" that had a paid assassin that was loading high power rifle round that he claimed were designed to "Penetrate the skull and not exit at any range!". Showed him loading them on a single stage bench press. Not sure of the round, but they looked like FMJ spitzers.

Silver Eagle

mooman76
05-29-2012, 09:58 PM
I love the scene in "Silver Bullet" where Gary Busey's friend the "master gunsmith" legend feller, casts silver (melting point 1640F) into a Lee two cavity mold made of aluminum (melting point of 1220F) and for the record he said it was a low grain load so that it would tumble.
I also like the movie "Shooter". although quite accurate on several different points, the old gunsmith says that the government dug out one of the hero's bullets from the berm, paper patched it, and then shot the guy standing next to the president from a mile away. That is pure, unadulterated BS.

He was also using a Lee bottom pour pot that doesn't get hot enough for silver and dumps into a ladle from the bottom pour and into the mould.

10 ga
05-29-2012, 10:05 PM
"VALDEZ is coming" He melted beef suet and opened shotgun shells and poured the beef grease over the shot and then used it like a slug out of his dbl. bbl. Guess that was the first "Glazer" round. Bet that hunk of congealed grease full of pellets would do a huge amount of damage. Thinking it was just a "rabbit gun" the bad guys were in for a huge surprise when them chunks were incoming. Automatic lube for them BP shells too. 10 ga

Horace
05-29-2012, 10:53 PM
If i`m not mistaken the round balls cast in the Patirot still had the paint from the toys melted down.Or was i seeing somthing?

Horace

MBTcustom
05-29-2012, 11:11 PM
If i`m not mistaken the round balls cast in the Patirot still had the paint from the toys melted down.Or was i seeing somthing?
He didn't flux with sawdust!:kidding::kidding:

supe47
05-30-2012, 12:19 AM
Now that brought a smile.

bowfin
06-01-2012, 07:06 PM
and for his application a 2 cavity mold is fine

Two cavity mold for silver yes, but pouring molten silver with a melting point at close to 1800º in anything but a steel mold would be problematic.

Mal Paso
06-01-2012, 07:26 PM
"The Punisher" starring Thomas Jane uses RCBS. He brought down John Travolta with a Rock Chucker single stage press.

45-70 Chevroner
06-01-2012, 09:25 PM
There was a movie the name escapes me. It was with Burt Lancaster and Audrie Hepburn, and there was a scene where they were melting down toy lead soldiers and casting bullets for some of there rifles. They were fighting the Indians from a dougout and the Indians made some cows go up on the hill behind the dougout and forced them on the roof then they set the dougout on fire. As usual the white men won the battle.

bob208
06-01-2012, 09:41 PM
that is the movie i posted about . unforgiven.

Rooster
06-01-2012, 10:58 PM
Burt Gummer had a great Rec. room. No casting though.

45-70 Chevroner
06-01-2012, 11:05 PM
that is the movie i posted about . unforgiven.
I must have missed your post, sorry.
and thanks I just found it on the net.

Hang Fire
06-03-2012, 01:25 AM
I don't quite remember correctly whether there is any casting in "Valdez is Coming", but there is some reloading with hand tools. Isn't there some casting in "the Patriot"?

In that movie they had Burt doing some kind of reloading, but never really showed how he was doing it. Know there was something about him taking part of the gal's petticoat when reloading, but for what, have no idea.

Katya Mullethov
06-03-2012, 12:11 PM
She immediately picks it up between thumb and forefinger (protected by a magic(?) latex glove) for a close examination.

Laura Ingalls did that in the book only it burned her real good .

Hardcast416taylor
06-03-2012, 02:29 PM
Then there was the flic "Tremors" with all the reloading equipment Bert had in his "Rec Room" along with his survivalist arsenal.Robert

ku4hx
06-03-2012, 05:10 PM
Not a movie ... TV series "Falling Skies" Flawed but as far as the scene goes you see them pouring the alloy and breaking open the molds to allow the boolits to drop out. Looked as if a high school lab was dedicated to ammunition loading.

The alloy was basically made from the armor of an alien robot. Obviously alien alloy has a melting point very close to lead and stops all manner of human projectiles. When the alloy is made into boolits, they pierce plating made of the same material.

bob208
06-03-2012, 05:21 PM
in the movie valdez is comming they showed him loading his .50 cal sharps ammo. he had a flask and a tong tool. he used the womans scarf as a wind flag.

at the time the movie was made there were no repro sharps rifles. his rifle was made up from a carbine action. you can see where they put a blank to fill the sling ring inlet in the stock.