PDA

View Full Version : layaway slips

Olevern
05-27-2012, 12:51 PM
Good day yesterday, taught a 10 y.o. how to ride a dirt bike then let him practice in his yard. Then took the boy to the range to pick up an application to one of the shooting ranges I belong to (can't take him with me on a regular basis without him having a membership 'cause he's not related to me), then as per our plans for the day, drove with the boy to the first of several gun shops where I found an older Taurus 9 shot .22 revolver with four inch barrel. Gun didn't look like it had ever been fired, locked up tight, indexed good, smooth action. I laid it away with a $100.00 deposit (total price $175.00 out the door) and, when we went back to the vehicle the boy (whose name is Zack) asked me why I didn't just buy the gun outright as he had seen I had enough cash in my wallet to do so. I explained to him that we had several more gunshops to go and I might find something else I wanted. We went out to a nice lunch at Pizza Hut, then drove to the next gun shop, where I found a used Beretta Bobcat in .25 acp. Nice little gun with the tip-up barrel; price $209.00; another $100.00 and another layaway slip. Finally to the third gunshop, the big one with thousands and thousands of guns on display, boy wanted me to buy a synthetic stocked Savage .22 bolt action with a bright yellow stock for $144.00 but I declined, can't get my head around that bright yellow stock, although I think that was what attracted Zack to it. Found a used Leupold 2X pistol scope for $218.00, purchased it for my new-to-me oct. contender barrel in .22 LR. Headed home to Zack's house to let him ride some more in his yard. Now have two more layaway slips in my wallet to pay on. I did see a tricked out Ruger MkII with a red aluminum (lined, of course) barrel with fluting, a set of matching red grips and match sites, but at $695.00 will have to think about it (probably untiil someone else buys it.). Also a Interarms Mauser .458 win mag for $695.00 that would be a nice match for my Interarms in .375 H&H mag, but I own two other .458 Win Mags so probably don't need a third. Well, now have three layaway slips in my wallets, that'll keep me busy for awhile.

I normally go to one additional gun ship when I make this trip, and I had a layaway at that shop which I had paid off via mail (a 9.5" Ruger single six), but my lil buddy was getting tired of riding in the car so put off picking that one up 'till next trip.

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/ac56/Olevern/DSC_8279.jpg

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/ac56/Olevern/DSC_8265.jpg

Lloyd Smale
05-28-2012, 07:03 AM
I love it. 5 of my grandkids race motocross just like there grandpa and mothers did. I think its a great sport and gives kids something to do other then get in trouble. It also is great at building confidence in kids. Most kids these days are scared of everything and go running to there mothers everytime they get a scratch. Motocross teaches them that life is full of bobos and they have to buck up and get back on. For girls especially. It shows them they can compete on level ground with the guys. My girls never took **** from boys and i think there racing had alot to do with that.

41 mag fan
05-28-2012, 07:14 AM
One thing to add to that Lloyd..... It teaches kids better driving habits by building a confidence in driving way before drivers ed starts.
I had a few dirt bikes as a kid, to this day I've never had an accident that was my fault with another vehicle.
Plus something you don't see much anymore, but having dirtbikes as a kid, I learned a stick shift in a truck very quickly when I had to drive one.