PDA

View Full Version : Just starting out

zardoz45
05-27-2012, 11:11 AM
I started casting so I could shoot my .45 more but this seems to be a hobby in itself. Did get off to a shaky start, though. After a hot miserable day at work I found out UPS delivered my melting pot, molds, etc. On the way home I passed a scrap yard and thought I'd buy some lead. I got ripped off royally for being stupid, paid twice the going rate and ended up with only half the lead (range lead). :twisted: Down here they think all Yankees are rich and fair game.

It's easier than I thought, the first 2 bullets came out perfect The rest I cast in ingots. A lesson learned was to hand sort. When I was dumping in the jacketed bullets I noticed a spent .45 casing go into the pot. I quickly spooned it out and the primer blew up on the spoon. This was with a fired primer.

Anyway, this is a great site and I've already gotten a lot of help from you guys. Thanks.

Jim.

clintsfolly
05-27-2012, 11:48 AM
welcome to the madness! Clint

zardoz45
05-27-2012, 12:33 PM
Thanks. I'm also assuming it's not OK to sneak my wife's favorite serving spoon back into the drawer? ;)

Jim

slide
05-27-2012, 12:47 PM
You are correct on your assumption.

05-27-2012, 01:25 PM
Welcome Zardoz. Yes. Casting/reloading is a hobby unto itself....that I actually enjoy more than shooting. It's not rocket science, to be sure...though some try to make it alot more complicated than it really is. You'll get alot of good info on this forum that will save you time. money, and frustration...LOL.

Check the buy/sell forum on this sight. you'll get as good a deal as possible on lead.

Have fun!

dragonrider
05-27-2012, 02:06 PM
Zardoz45, welcome to the forum,
" I quickly spooned it out and the primer blew up on the spoon. This was with a fired primer."
likely it was a bit of moisture in that case that caused it. One thing you will learn if you haven't already is never dump cold lead into melted lead. Range lead especialy can contain a lot of moisture and this can be very dangerous when dumping cold lead into melted lead, water flashes into steam instantly. Start with a cold pot, fill it up and then add the heat, then empty the pot completely and then fill it again. Preheating anything that will go into the pot is good habit to get into.

bruce381
05-28-2012, 01:57 AM
at some point you will "have to go shoot" just to make empties to fill up again it is a vicious cycle.

zardoz45
05-28-2012, 02:13 AM
I think you are right, dragonrider. When I got to the bottom of the barrel I found something that looked like floor sweepings, and it was damp.

It looks like it's tourist season here. When looking for some cast iron pots all I could find were some old rusty 6" frying pans and they wanted $30 each.

Jim