PDA

View Full Version : Found Some Babbitt Today

AnnieOakley
05-27-2012, 01:31 AM
Went to the scrapper today and found some Babbitt Metal. Got it home and looked it up on the web and found this site http://wiki.vintagemachinery.org/Print.aspx?Page=BabbittIDGuide to identify it. It is 74.5% Lead, 10% Tin, 14.75% Antimony, .25% Copper and .50% Arsenic. I have WW and battery clamp lead. Wondering how to mix this Babbitt in to make boolits. I shoot .45/70 in my Contender. Someday I want to cast for my M1 Garand.

AnnieOakley loves CoalHog

fryboy
05-27-2012, 08:14 AM
cutting it 50/50 with pure lead would make a alloy harder than hardball or # 2 ( appox 7.5% antimony,5% tin - the rest of the ingredients doesnt matter too much the arsenic i nice however if you heat treat/quench ) 25/75 should be about 3.75% antimony and 2.5% tin and a better alloy than ww's , heat treated/quenched that should work fine in the garand and as stated still better than ww alloy , i maybe wrong ( i can never seem to get the lead calculators to work for me ) but if you went with 4 lead to one part babbit you'd have an appox ww alloy a little sweet on tin ( appox 1.25% ) , all the above is a rough figure of course and using pure lead with your babbit
i dont know how hot you shoot that 45-70 or if you use gas checks on them ( if you do you shouldnt even need to add any to your ww alloy unless you're after the enhanced tin factor ) one has to remember that the 45-70 was developed with soft lead ( and used successfully for eons that way ) cool find btw !!!! if they're all round they look like they'd make great cannon balls lolz