PDA

View Full Version : sniffing Hoppe's #9

lead chucker
05-27-2012, 12:52 AM
I don't know what it is but when cleaning my guns with Hoppe's #9 I always have to sniff the bottle I love the way that smells. Any one else do this. I'm not huffin the stuff but like the way it smells.

beex215
05-27-2012, 12:59 AM
alox smells good.

geargnasher
05-27-2012, 01:06 AM
I sniffed Hoppe's once, but I didn't inhale.

Ger

lead chucker
05-27-2012, 01:32 AM
That's what I told my recruiter in high school before I joined the Air Force.

edler7
05-27-2012, 01:56 AM
I don't sniff the bottle, but I do take and extra minute to enjoy the aroma...it reminds me of fall evenings cleaning shotguns with my dad in the basement after a day's hunting.

I have a small bottle of the original formula that must be at least 40 years old. There is maybe a teaspoon of liquid left in it. It is for aromatherapy only.

geargnasher
05-27-2012, 02:11 AM
Gotta love the smell of benzene in the morning!

Gear

Inkman
05-27-2012, 02:20 AM
The wonderful aroma of 45/45/10 in the garage with a few thousand boolits drying.

Seriously.

:)

Al

lead chucker
05-27-2012, 02:34 AM
My dad always used hopps it was a real common aroma in the reloading room. Brings back memories. My wife just bought me some for an anniversary present, i must have done something right.

olafhardt
05-27-2012, 06:17 AM
Think of it as Chanel no. nine.

quack1
05-27-2012, 06:29 AM
Three gun related smells bring back a lot of pleasant memories. Hoppe's #9, a fired paper shotgun shell and Herters "London Oil Finish". Still keep a bottle of Hoppes around (although there are better solvents available), load a few paper shotgun shells to hunt with each year and still have a little bit of the London oil finish in a bottle that has to be at least 40 or 50 years old. It's still semi- liquid, so I shake it up a little and take a sniff now and then. I have no idea what makes the Herters finish smell so good. It has a sweet, pleasant aroma, nothing like any other kind of finish I have ever used.

rhbrink
05-27-2012, 06:50 AM
Besides Hoppe's, that stuff brings back a lot of memories. I'm very fond of Ballistol myself.

Bret4207
05-27-2012, 07:01 AM
They say it's banana oil in the Hoppes. Maybe, but I love it.

41 mag fan
05-27-2012, 08:18 AM
I use it in my Glade plug ins in the shop :bigsmyl2:

Shooter6br
05-27-2012, 08:23 AM
Make it a mans cologne. I will wear it.And for a sporty cologne GI bore cleaner vintage Ww II

milprileb
05-27-2012, 08:45 AM
Love the smell for old memories but since I got married, now 41 yrs of it, I have noted the
wife hates the smell.

Thus, a patch wetted with Hoppes hung by clothes pin aloft will keep wife away from my reloading area and give me hours of privacy to reload. I think one bottle will keep her away for many years of reloading.

LUCKYDAWG13
05-27-2012, 08:46 AM
love that smell

1Shirt
05-27-2012, 09:39 AM
If if is banana oil, am told that in aerosol form banana oil is a narcotic (can't vouch for the validity however). Do like the smell of #9 however!
1Shirt!

longbow
05-27-2012, 09:47 AM
Yeah, Channel #9, I like it! I wish the wife would wear it instead of perfume. I do love the smell of Hoppe's #9.

curator
05-27-2012, 09:57 AM
Do you know they make an air-freshener for your car that smells like Hoppe's #9? I tried for years to get my daughter to dab some behind each ear before going out. 'Figured she'd attract the right kind of man. Unfortunately she didn't listen and ended up marrying a folk-singer musician.

Grandpas50AE
05-27-2012, 09:59 AM
I have tried several gun cleaning solvents, and though there are some that are better as solvents, none have that wonderful smell of Hoppe's #9. If they would jsut make it in stick form like Old Spice, I would change deodorant brands to Hoppe's real quick.

ElDorado
05-27-2012, 10:19 AM
I like it, too. Probably because of the pleasant memories associated with it.

Another one I like is linseed oil.

1bluehorse
05-27-2012, 10:22 AM
I sniffed Hoppe's once, but I didn't inhale.

Ger

LMAO....now that is funny, but all the replys are good...everyone's pretty sharp witted today for sure..and I wholeheartedly agree...............EXCEPT......alox , IT STINKS..

pistolman44
05-27-2012, 10:29 AM
My wife goes crackers when I open a bottle of Hoppe's. I tell her it's no worse when she gives herself a home perm. That perm solution smells like rotten eggs. It must not bother her more than she lets on, I have been using it for over 30 years and I'm still living with her. LOL.

TommyT
05-27-2012, 10:37 AM
It's my favorite aroma-therapy. I'm also fortunate to have a girlfriend that loves the smell of it too.

Shiloh
05-27-2012, 10:39 AM
Knew a watch maker who used it. Used it on corroded watch backs and to get under rust.
His shop had the subtle aroma of Hoppe's and freshly cleaned watches and clocks.

Added a nice ambiance with all the cool cleaning machines, staking tools, miniature lathes, ect.
I love the smell of Hoppes. Kind of a nostalgic aroma of a different era. Sort of like an old time hardware
store with cutting oil smell and wood floors

Shiloh

LUCKYDAWG13
05-27-2012, 10:52 AM
hey a new sent for YANKEE CANDLE SHOOTERS BLOSSOMS

Katya Mullethov
05-27-2012, 11:20 AM
If if is banana oil, am told that in aerosol form banana oil is a narcotic (can't vouch for the validity however). Do like the smell of #9 however!
1Shirt!

You're thinking of Bananadine , the Berkley Barb prank that never died .

leadhead
05-27-2012, 11:22 AM
The smell of Ballistol is enough to gag a maggot.
If I get a whiff of it, it makes me want to puke.
Denny

Gtek
05-27-2012, 11:29 AM
Confirmed, aroma therapy. Back in the late sixties and early seventies when I was a kid, my father every two months or so would load me up and off we went. We had about ten descent shops in the county and two Army/Navy stores. We would spend most the day hitting all from one end to the other. I can still smell the MRT from the canvas bins, the dusty boxes of used cop leather, the smell of a whole wall of new firearms. I believe many of us know of this sensation / feeling. The days I spent shooting and hunting with dad were always finished with #9, " your not eating or getting cleaned up until that weapon is clean"- yes sir- over, and closing with present arms and inspection. The candle idea is a great one, Holy Black, Rimfire, #9,WWll corrosive bore cleaner as a
gag gift. Thanks for the memory ride. Gtek

just.don
05-27-2012, 11:39 AM
Shortly after our wedding, my wife thought it was an aphrodisiac!

rond
05-27-2012, 12:57 PM
I have one of those air fresheners in the jeep, doesn't last long, have to add a couple of drops every week.

UtopiaTexasG19
05-27-2012, 01:04 PM
"Sniffing Hoppe's #9"

No wonder you guys are always smiling! :)

EMC45
05-27-2012, 02:34 PM
I like the way Kroil smells better. Also how it cleans better.

Bigslug
05-27-2012, 03:51 PM
Make it a mans cologne. I will wear it.And for a sporty cologne GI bore cleaner vintage Ww II

Yup! It smells like victory. Wimmin are drawn to the smell of victory!:mrgreen:

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
05-27-2012, 07:37 PM
Oh YES, Hoppies #9 YES!!!!!!!!!!!!

And I also remember the smell of the fired paper shotshell loads from when I was a kid, back in the late 40s early 50s.

My cork gun fired another load, so always needed to pick up dad's fired hulls! :):)

Funny that cork gun seemed so big back then, but in an old photograph in which my father and some friends are standing around a 40s model car with deer on the fenders and on the ground, I'm also standing by my dad and that cork gun looks some small now.

Must be some trick of photography!

Funny I also don't recall a lot of sucess with that cork gun, but then what could I expect from a single shot.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

gray wolf
05-27-2012, 07:56 PM
I can remember as a kid --I guess I was 8 or nine--
that's over 60 years ago. My brother and I used Hoppies #9 to clean our B B guns.
For some reason even back then we liked the smell.
I can remember we took Cotton balls and wet them with it and placed a few around
in our bedroom.
There are many new gun cleaners on the market now but I still purchase Hoppies.
It's like it would be wrong not to have a couple of bottles of it, and sides it still does a good job.
In some small way I guess it brings me back to a simpler time when I was a kid.
I Liked those day's as a young in growing up. Life was simple then, now days it seems to get away from me sometimes.
OH well good old Hoppies #9--I guess that's what we were talkin bout EH....

sig2009
05-27-2012, 09:21 PM
I prefer the aroma of EEzox!

2Tite
05-27-2012, 11:41 PM
Sad thing is that unless we save some of the old stuff our kids and grandkids will never know what the old stuff smelled like. The new Hoppe's just isn't the same ....close but no cigar. I think I have a quart of the old stuff still. I think I'll save it for the grandsons and only use it when they're around. Good thread and a reminder of the good times.................

Recluse
05-27-2012, 11:52 PM
Definitely memories of happy times in my younger days. Dad would spread his newspapers out on the kitchen table and we'd go to cleaning up the .22s--an old Sears .22LR made, I think, by Stevens (?). And then there was the Ruger Single-Six, and then finally, the Ruger Blackhawk.

Hoppes #9, the smell of 22LR ammo lighting off. . . just something very right, very pure, very wholesome about it. Brings back incredibly powerful, vivid memories and erases the years in a flash.

Likewise, G96 takes me instantly back to the USMS days as I kept several cans in the office and was forever cleaning the guns--and my old wooden desk--with it.

:coffee:

Gelandangan
05-28-2012, 12:19 AM
Love Potion No. 9 ..
The only one of my set of gun oils and cleaning solution that SWMBO do not object to the smell.

Ickisrulz
05-28-2012, 12:28 AM
Here you go:

http://www.amazon.com/Hoppes-H9AF-Air-Freshener-Pack/dp/B007ED76P8

LUBEDUDE
05-28-2012, 12:45 AM
Don't waste your money on those Hoppes air freshners. The one I bought lasted One day, maybe two!

The spilt bottle in the gun cleaning bag I carry in my truck lasts much, much, much longer.

Bret4207
05-28-2012, 07:50 AM
Someone mentioned shops smelling on Hoppes, etc. I'll add to that the great smell of a cabinet shop I used to work in- turpentine, fresh cut pine, the old wood filler I think they called "whiting" and a faint smell of that old style brown paper the glass came in. And then there's the great smell of a good leather shop or a real bakery or real blacksmiths shop or fresh turned dirt in spring plowing.

Smell is a trigger for memories.

41 mag fan
05-28-2012, 08:09 AM
Someone mentioned shops smelling on Hoppes, etc. I'll add to that the great smell of a cabinet shop I used to work in- turpentine, fresh cut pine, the old wood filler I think they called "whiting" and a faint smell of that old style brown paper the glass came in. And then there's the great smell of a good leather shop or a real bakery or real blacksmiths shop or fresh turned dirt in spring plowing.

Smell is a trigger for memories.

My wifes got plenty of memorioes of certain smells........she blames me for them...I always am the victim. [smilie=1:

contender1
05-28-2012, 09:30 AM
Many years ago,,, not long after Miss Penny & got together,, I was in my "gun room" cleaning guns. (This was long before she became a full blown gun girl too.) She came in,, commented; "What's that smell?"
Feeling like I was gonna have an Uh-Oh moment, I showed her the bottle of Hoppes #9. (An old bottle.) SHe said she really liked the smell & I should clean my guns in the living room.
Fast forward to now.
WE yes,, I said WE,,, clean our guns in the living room, and SHE will clean ALL of them if I do the disassembly. She loves the #9. ( I knew I had a winner that day,, oh so long ago!)

45-70marlin
05-28-2012, 09:56 AM
I have used #9 for all my 42 years shooting. I love the smell and great memories, like a polished blue, walnut stock rifle or shotgun. Also the paper shotgun shell, linseed oil and a shot of scotch at the end of a good day.:2 drunk buddies:

Cap'n Morgan
05-28-2012, 10:12 AM
The smell of Ballistol is enough to gag a maggot.
If I get a whiff of it, it makes me want to puke.
Denny

Ballistol is very popular here in Europe. I always hated the stench of it! Also, it will gum-up an action over time to the point where the gun will sometimes fail to work properly. My dad told me to use acid-free sewing machine oil instead - and to use it sparingly. Great advice.

As for "sniffing memories" Like quack1 says; paper shotgun shells! Closing my eyes and sniffing an old freshly fired Eley Grand Prix will still take me back in time for a few moments. Wouldn't it be wonderful if it could take you all the way, like in Ray Bradbury's "A Scent of Sarsaparilla":

http://elearning.zaou.ac.zm:8060/Fiction-Biographies/Bradbury,%20Ray/Bradbury,%20Ray%20-%20A%20Scent%20of%20Sarsaparilla.txt

Elkins45
05-28-2012, 10:24 AM
My new bottle of Hoppes smells just a bit different than the stuff I remember as a kid. I think the EPA or somebody must have made them take something out.

It still smells pretty good though. I mostly use Shooter's Choice these days but I can't recommend it for the aroma.

Hardcast416taylor
05-28-2012, 02:08 PM
An old trick that my brother did in his general store back where he had the gun racks was to have an old T shirt with Hoppes soaked into in in a Mason jar near the guns. He always wiped the guns down with another shirt rag that had 3-in-1 oil. The combination of those 2 smells would often lead to a sale.Robert

latesvak
05-28-2012, 06:13 PM
oh man . i cant say i sniff the bottle but i do take my time cleaning the guns. and as a side not the wife thinks it makes the house smell better.

latesvak

colt 357
06-02-2012, 01:33 PM
when my wife comes out wearing a black nitie and hoppes #9. HECK I gotta go.

Hickory
06-02-2012, 01:47 PM
I've been readin' this post for a while and have come to the conclusion that Hoppes #9 will soon become a controlled substance, or at the very least, you'll have to have a note from your grandpa and two uncles to buy it.:violin:
You guys have got it bad, almost like glue sniffers.:veryconfu

:bigsmyl2:

WILCO
06-02-2012, 01:47 PM
Going to grab my bottle and sniff it now...........

Yeah, that's a great scent for sure! :)

Eutectic
06-02-2012, 02:24 PM
Gotta love the smell of benzene in the morning!

Gear

Sadly Gear, the benzene (Nitro Benzene) was removed from Hoppe's #9 probably 15 or 20 years ago. I'll admit benzene has a nice sweet smell too.... But if you have smelled this sweet benzene smell you are half dead already according to modern standards! It takes several parts per million to smell the odor.

Actually what everyone likes the smell of in Hoppe's #9 is amyl acetate. It is referred to as 'banana oil' at times.

Elkins45 on page 3....

"My new bottle of Hoppes smells just a bit different than the stuff I remember as a kid. I think the EPA or somebody must have made them take something out."

Elkins45 is correct.... The older stuff years back with Nitro Benzene still in the recipe did in fact clean much better!

Eutectic

Hardcast416taylor
06-02-2012, 04:14 PM
Eutectic is right about the formula being changed about that many years back. I was made aware of the formula change by a dealer friend that said I`d better stock up if I wanted the old formulation. My brother and I bought 4 gallons of it in the old steel drums and 10 (1) quart glass bottles of it. There was a rush going on at the supplier my dealer friend ordered thru of other people buying up the old formula. Today I am down to a little over 1 gal., now in gal. glass jugs, and 4 of the quart bottles. This supply will last me out as I`m shooting less than I used to. My brother found out that Hoppes will find a way thru the welded seam on the steel gal. cans, which is why we transferred all the Hoppes to brown glass containers.Robert

Freischütz
06-02-2012, 05:30 PM
Has anyone made Hoppes Nr 9 using the formula in Hatcher's Notebook? If so, how did it work in comparison with the current production?

bobthenailer
06-02-2012, 05:58 PM
Personaly I cant stand the smell of HOPPIES #9 only bought 1 bottle 45 years ago

mustanggt
06-02-2012, 10:09 PM
I love the smell for all the memories you guys stated. As far as the EPA goes I think that if it has to do with anything traditional or have to do with our history the government will surely ban it. I'm not being paranoid either. That's just the way they work now.

MBTcustom
06-02-2012, 10:12 PM
I love the smell too. Very unique and certainly full of memories.

Hang Fire
06-03-2012, 01:19 AM
Hoppe's #9 passes the smell test.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
06-03-2012, 11:11 AM
YEP!!!!!!!!!, but the "EPA" doesn't! Pass the smell test that is.

Must be the lingering smell that rubbed off from the obummer!

CDOC

.22-10-45
06-03-2012, 05:59 PM
Hello, good posts! While it's true the new Hoppe's doesn't have the same smell..Bruno Shooters Supply was re-introducing the N.B. back into regular Hoppe's..bought a few quarts..don't know if they still are doing this? Years ago, I was at work..it was opening day of squirrel season..another fellow hunter was also lamenting the fact that if we were kids again..we sure would be out in the squirrel woods instead of working! I went over to my toolbox, & brought out small bottle of original Hoppe's..we both had a snif for "old times sake"...Next best thing for being there!

MasS&W
06-07-2012, 09:55 AM
If you walk into a bar after a long cleaning session, people know what's up from the smell alone. "Doin a bit of shooting there kid?" Its a form of non verbal communication.