PDA

View Full Version : No Greater Love

WRideout
05-26-2012, 07:02 PM
I thought this would be appropriate for Memorial Day. I first published this in the newsletter of Grace@Calvary Lutheran Church, Butler PA

Greater love has no man than this, that he lay down his life for his friends
John 15:13

In the days following the terrorist attacks of 2001, there was a resurgence of patriotic expression, generally seen as the flying of American flags at homes and on automobiles. One day, on the way home from work, I found one of these flags lying beside the road, obviously having fallen off a passing vehicle, and in danger of being desecrated by car tires. I took it home, went in the back yard, cut the blue field from the red and white stripes, and burned the pieces as I was taught in the Boy Scouts many years ago. As I stood watching our nation’s symbol being consumed, I thought about my uncle, Francis Randall, whom I never knew.
Uncle Francis, my mother’s brother, had joined an artillery regiment of the California Army National Guard in the late 1930’s. During World War II, his unit was mobilized to Europe, along with many others. He was killed in 1945, shortly after the D-day invasion when his gun position was hit by an enemy shell. I was born about seven years later. By then Uncle Francis’s story had become part of our family folklore, but the only real evidence I ever saw was his Purple Heart medal which my Aunt Bessie kept in a wooden box. My mother told me that he was buried in Margraten cemetery in Holland, with a marker bearing his name, shaped like a cross.
I too, became a soldier, and although I never served in war, I spent twenty years in uniform. While I was a student in Officer Candidate School, quite some time ago, I served as editor of the cadet company newsletter, for which I wrote a monthly editorial. For the November Veteran’s Day issue, I penned an essay about my uncle Francis. I extolled his virtues and self-sacrifice, spoke about how he was a just and honorable man who wanted to give us a better world. Afterward, I began to have second thoughts. After all, I had never met him, and my knowledge of his life was sketchy, at best. How did I know about his character? Was he actually that good, or did he have vices and flaws I just didn’t know about? The thought ate at me that I may have just written a nice propaganda piece, not based on reality.
By 2004 I was serving as a Fire Support Officer in the Pennsylvania Army National Guard, 28th Division. At one weekend drill in Hershey, I picked up a copy of the Army’s Soldier magazine I found lying on a table in the armory. I immediately noticed the headline at the bottom of the cover “Remembrance Day at Margraten”. The article described an annual memorial held by the Dutch, who revere the fallen American soldiers as liberators of their country from Nazi oppression. While some survivors of that time still attend, many of their children and grandchildren also come, out of a sense of sacred duty.
I copied the article and my essay, and sent them to my mother who looked up some old veterans back home, who had known Uncle Francis during the war. They appreciated knowing that the dead are not forgotten, and confirmed that her brother was the kind of man I imagined him to be. I finally understood that Uncle Francis gave his life nobly for people he did not know, in a country where he did not live. In his memory, I give my life daily in service to others, and still have more to give. I only hope that I am doing right by you, Uncle Francis.

Wayne

tryNto
05-26-2012, 08:18 PM
Great post.

THANK YOU to all that Serve...

Thank God for your Uncle Francis and the rest who sacrificed for their Country and the World.

41 mag fan
05-26-2012, 09:36 PM
It's amazing...people forget the cost of freedom.
people forget what those who die for and have died for and for what we and they believe in.

I should of died in the Gulf War..... I'll remember this every time I think about it.

In 1987 of Oct 7th, I went to basics of the U.S. Army. My bunk mate was Rolando Deleganeau. He was an immigrant who came her under political assylum, and joined the army.
He was from Nicaragua.
I learned alot from Rolando, which,at 18 was really not alot. Till later in life. He was 26.
Went thru basics and AIT. Went to Ft Hood. I got out in 1989. which we were together the whole time
Done my 2 yrs...see ya.
Speed it up to Nov 1990. Got a call and letter...ex wife(now) was pregnant with lots of complications. Jan 17th 1991, brought my daughter home....the day the Gulf War started.
I knew my old unit was traipsing up from Saudi Arabia, going into Kuwait from the west.
Now speed it up to Dec 1996.
Finally got ahold of an old buddy from the army. He's from Joliet.
He asked where I was. Told him, they looked me over due to my daughter and ex by then, both about died.
He then told me, you know about Rolando?? I said no, whats up?? Thinking he did something with his life.
After what seemed like an eternal pause, Chappy boy told me...he was one that died in the Scud missile attack in Riyad. on the marine baracks..........

Guys i'll tell you now...I hung up right then....i don't know if its true...I never called George back.
I've never looked up to see if he died, I don't want to know.
I can't see George screwing with me like that, I don't want to know.
That should of been me....not Rolando.

WRideout
05-26-2012, 10:14 PM
I was moved by your message. No one can understand the presence of evil in the world, but I believe that God is over all, and wishes to bless each of us. I hope you can see that you have also done good in your life, even though your calling was different than Rolando.

Wayne

missionary5155
05-27-2012, 05:12 AM
Good morning and a Blessed Memorial Day
About sunrise this morning I will face North with Pride in heart salute my brothers in arms who have made the sacrifice so we could today rededicate ourselves to Freedom.
Mike in Peru (Armor 71-74)

Stephen Cohen
05-27-2012, 05:24 AM
WRideout Sir you have done your uncle proud, you have kept the memory alive and spread it to the other side of the world. I feel as you do about our family who failed to return. God bless all those who payed with their blood and lives.

41 mag fan
05-27-2012, 07:47 AM
I was moved by your message. No one can understand the presence of evil in the world, but I believe that God is over all, and wishes to bless each of us. I hope you can see that you have also done good in your life, even though your calling was different than Rolando.

Wayne

Thanks Wayne. Your post brought it all back. For many years, I was in a numb state so to speak. I couldn't understand why take one who was like Rolando and not someone like me. And these many years later I still cant understand.

But somehow...God wants me to remember and not forget. I come across posts like yours and it brings it back and i can't let it rest. I have to tell what happened to keep his memory alive.

Granted theres guys from Vietnam and now Iraq and Afghanistan who will have similar stories, of it should of been them not their friend next to them that departed this life

Olevern
05-27-2012, 07:55 AM
Today I sing "God Bless the U.S.A." in our church memorial service. That song is my prayer for a nation that has strayed far from God, but one that He still wants to bless. There are many things wrong with this country, but, that being said, it is still the best place to live in the world. In memory of those who died to make it the greatest nation in the world, let us who remain not take that freedom for granted and actively work to make it a better place. God Bless the U.S.A.!

41 mag fan
05-27-2012, 07:59 AM
Amen Olevern

1Shirt
05-28-2012, 09:04 AM
An excellent and most thoughtful posting on Memorial Day! Thank you!
1Shirt!