PDA

View Full Version : Lee 220V melter. 'Temperature regulation not as effective as 110V Models'?

Hammerhead
05-26-2012, 01:03 PM
My parameters in case it matters.
Low volume casting of 357 SWC's and WC's.
Softer alloys for velocities up to 1,000 fps.
Limited budget.

I'm looking at the Lee 220v precision melter and it's description at the Lee site says "Temperature regulation is not as effective as 110V Model"
Anything of consequence?
Gotta' be better than a dutch oven over a campfire, right?

I would like a 220v melter because the wiring in my hobby area isn't heavy duty, and I have the 220v drier outlet nearby and plenty of 10-3 extension wire and plugs to hook it up.

Anything else to consider?

Thanks.

Frozone
05-26-2012, 02:18 PM
You could buy one of my PID Controller Kits.
That would fix that regulation problem. ;-)

BTW the regulation thing is a result of the current draw.
The 'infinite control' that LEE uses reads the current though it.
It functions best at a rather high current flow.

Southern Son
05-28-2012, 06:24 AM
I have the 220 volt, and it's lack of temp. control is the reason I got a PID off Frozone. Before the PID mine would go from casting frosty boolits to a frozen spout in 10 minutes, without me adding any fresh lead to the pot. I replaced the "thermostat", twice, and then gave up and stopped using that pot and started using a LPG gas bottle cut open over a LPG gas burner. The first time I hooked up the PID, I had to fool around with what temperature to use with the moulds, etc, and learned a heap. The second time that I hooked it up, I made a butt load of boolits, with very few rejects, very easily. I am very happy that I got the PID, Frozones workmanship on the PID was first class, and it makes the Lee pot REALLY good value for money. I now have a cheap pot that maintains the temperature so well, I just cannot explain it.

R.M.
05-28-2012, 10:51 AM
Just get the 110 model. They don't draw much, less than you wife's hair-dryer.

HDS
05-28-2012, 03:10 PM
My parameters in case it matters.
Low volume casting of 357 SWC's and WC's.
Softer alloys for velocities up to 1,000 fps.
Limited budget.

I'm looking at the Lee 220v precision melter and it's description at the Lee site says "Temperature regulation is not as effective as 110V Model"
Anything of consequence?
Gotta' be better than a dutch oven over a campfire, right?

I would like a 220v melter because the wiring in my hobby area isn't heavy duty, and I have the 220v drier outlet nearby and plenty of 10-3 extension wire and plugs to hook it up.

Anything else to consider?

Thanks.

I didn't know that, I got the 220v since I am in europe and I do have issues keeping the temperature steady. I am definitely doing the PID upgrade on this pot.