PDA

View Full Version : Which size die?

ShooterAZ
05-26-2012, 11:59 AM
I have a Lee C429-240-SWC 6 cavity mold that drops boolits from .4295-.430. I have been using a Lee push through sizer in .430 to size & seat gas checks. I'm ordering a lube sizer setup and wonder if the .430 sizer is still the way to go, or will lube squeeze by on the ones that are a little on the small side? I would prefer not to take this boolit down to .429.

Thanks...Shooter

gray wolf
05-26-2012, 12:30 PM
Should be an easy question to answer but your short a little info.
You say you have been using the Lee sizer,
have you lubed and shot these bullets at all ? If so how did they shoot ? any leading ?
Have you slugged the bore ? did you measure the throats ?
What firearm ?
Simple answer --
yes perhaps some lube will ride up the side of the bullet
most leave a slight skin of lube on the bullet--no biggy.
and perhaps it wont.
If you find out you need a bigger bullet to make things work you may have to beagle the mold or get a little bigger one.
A little more info would help. .429 may not work anyway, may give leading.

ShooterAZ
05-26-2012, 12:47 PM
Bores slug .429 (T/C and RBH) and yes, My loads are quite accurate with no leading using the .430 Lee sizer and lithi-bee lube hand dipped and run through the sizer again. Although it works well, I'm growing weary of doing it all by hand. Very slow and tedious process. I guess I can try the .430 sizer first and see. I was hoping to not have to buy both.

gray wolf
05-26-2012, 01:03 PM
Well you sure don't want to change anything, good is good.
If the sizer you get is a true .430 and the bullets are .4295 and .430
The .430 should work and the .4295 is only a 1/4 thou. smaller on each side.

ShooterAZ
05-26-2012, 01:14 PM
Thanks, I appreciate your input. I need the .430 for sure for my other molds/boolits. 429 ...not so much. I am concerned about the lube squeezing out.

GRUMPA
05-26-2012, 01:21 PM
I really wouldn't be all that concerned with the lube squeezing itself beyond the boolit grooves. Although I must admit I've always used the slightly harder lubes than I guess (from what I've read) than alot of other folks use. The only time I've actually had lube go beyond the lube grooves is when I really cranked the handle on the RCBS lube sizer and got distracted for a few minutes and came back and started lubing, of course I always use a lube heater. Then the colorful language starts to somehow come rolling out.

EDK
05-26-2012, 02:45 PM
Read up on "beagling" and lapping moulds. .0005 more ain't a lot...I prefer .001 as cast over sizing diameter to prevent lube smears.

You could adjust your alloy a bit harder and gain that much diameter by the change...at least LYMAN handbooks give that much dimensional change.

I'm too lazy to mic each boolit so I'd run them all through the lubri-sizer. Any that had unacceptable lube smears could be sized down to .429...the price of gas checks kinda eliminates pitching them back in the melting pot. A sizer die is about $25 at GRAFS OR you could get another LEE push through for $19.

Most expensive is to sell the mould and/or get another...hoping for a larger as cast diameter...you accumulate moulds this way! I run mostly plain base boolits in the VAQUEROS; gas checked boolits are for rifle usage...but RANCH DOG TLC 432 265, gas checked and lubed with LLA, removes residual lead from the revolvers, so I use them on occasion.

:redneck::cbpour::guntootsmiley:

Char-Gar
05-26-2012, 02:47 PM
If you want .430 bullets get a .430 sizer. You are worrying about something that is not an issue.

44man
05-26-2012, 02:51 PM
I size little with Lee dies and use soft lube (Felix.) My boolits are kind of messy but I like them that way. [smilie=w: