PDA

View Full Version : Range-ratting again

SlippShodd
05-26-2012, 11:11 AM
Had a bit of time between jobs the other day, so I took a side trip to the desert to pick up some range scrap. Ended up with a good pile of brass and 23 pounds of boolit metal. And the obligatory mass of live rounds. Anybody reuse those steel strippers that 7.62x39 apparently came packed in? It's raining this morning, so it's off to the garage to clean and smelt. Any suggestions on how to get that long one into the melting pot...?

mike
:coffee:
Days smelting without incident: 5

btroj
05-26-2012, 11:20 AM
I went and shot last week with my daughter. We came home with 27.4 pounds of range scrap. Took maybe 20 minutes total to gather it.

My goal for the year is to bring home more lead each time put than I took with me. I have almost filled a 5 gallon bucket since last fall. I hope to fill another one before fall. That should get me about 250 pounds of nice clean ingots.

canyon-ghost
05-26-2012, 12:11 PM
Days smelting without incident: 5

Good for you.

Jim
05-26-2012, 03:46 PM
Umm, Mike, you might not wanna put that long one with the feathers on it in the pot.:bigsmyl2:

SlippShodd
05-26-2012, 06:19 PM
Umm, Mike, you might not wanna put that long one with the feathers on it in the pot.:bigsmyl2:

Shoot, and that was the biggest one... dang thing tested positive for fiberglass anyway.

mike
Days smelting without incident: 6
(I'll stop counting now, Ghost. :) )

imashooter2
05-26-2012, 07:59 PM
I reuse those strippers with my SKS all the time. They're nice to have.

alfloyd
05-26-2012, 08:05 PM
"Anybody reuse those steel strippers that 7.62x39 apparently came packed in?"

And at the gun shows they go for about 20 cents each. :)

Lafaun

Jim
05-26-2012, 08:17 PM
Hey, Mike, I kinda' like that 'Days smelting without incident' thing you got goin' there. Reminds me of 'Days without accident' sign on the big industrial jobs I used to work. You oughta' keep that up. That's right cool!

SlippShodd
05-26-2012, 08:30 PM
Hey, Mike, I kinda' like that 'Days smelting without incident' thing you got goin' there. Reminds me of 'Days without accident' sign on the big industrial jobs I used to work. You oughta' keep that up. That's right cool!

Well that was the idea, in a manner of poking fun at myself. I've been casting for 30 years or so without any major incidents and then a couple weeks ago I tried to set my arm on fire. When I posted my account of it, I kinda got flamed (nyuk, nyuk) a bit, so I started that line to keep my sense of humor about it. I hated resetting the clock after all these years...

mike

BoolitBill
05-26-2012, 10:14 PM
You can use the stripper clips as sort of a poor man's speed strip for .38 special if you don't have a 7.62x39. Check out this youtube video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_o5rHqZ4-0