PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 45 rebuild

BCall
05-25-2012, 07:00 PM
I had a ratty old 45 with a bent handle that I got cheap some time back. Had it setting in the corner with nothing to do. I bought a new handle for it from a member here when he made a few upgraded handles with linkages( Sorry, I wish I could remember who made the handles but I forgot!). So I finally broke it down and cleaned it up completely. Then I repainted the whole thing, including the new handle with hammered black Rustoleum paint. Put in a new 4500 type pressure nut with o-ring seals and a new 4500 type resevoir cap. New wrench and a wood ball for the handle and it's ready to go! Works very smoothly, and the new handle is a great improvement. I'll need to get a better picture once I get it mounted though. Thanks, Billy

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh259/blcall/SN852153.jpg

imashooter2
05-25-2012, 08:08 PM
Nice job on the 45!

The handle maker was JonB_in_Glencoe. I got the kit he offered as a site benefit auction. A nice upgrade, unfortunately he only made a half a dozen or so and they are gone to we lucky few. :)

05-25-2012, 09:50 PM
Yep, good job, Billy.

I've kicked myself for not getting one of Jon's handles, as I'm sure it's better than the original.

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-26-2012, 10:10 PM
I had a ratty old 45 with a bent handle that I got cheap some time back. Had it setting in the corner with nothing to do. I bought a new handle for it from a member here when he made a few upgraded handles with linkages( Sorry, I wish I could remember who made the handles but I forgot!). So I finally broke it down and cleaned it up completely. Then I repainted the whole thing, including the new handle with hammered black Rustoleum paint. Put in a new 4500 type pressure nut with o-ring seals and a new 4500 type resevoir cap. New wrench and a wood ball for the handle and it's ready to go! Works very smoothly, and the new handle is a great improvement. I'll need to get a better picture once I get it mounted though. Thanks, Billy

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh259/blcall/SN852153.jpg

I like the all black look. but then I like the 45 no matter what color it is.
Jon

BCall
05-27-2012, 07:13 PM
Thanks everybody. Jon, I gotta say, I couldn't remember for the life of me what your name was, but i sure do like the new handle! It works very well and seems to add just the right kind of leverage to make sizing smooth and easy. Much appreciated, Billy