PDA

View Full Version : Beware email scam - "Philippines Trip(Emergency)" Louis Sellman

ohland
05-25-2012, 05:44 PM
Folks, I got a message supposedly from Louis Sellman. I tried to confirm stuff, but the phone # in PA has been disconnected (red flag!), Yahoo kicked back two emails (User did not exist), and I called and spoke with his son, who assured me that his dad was not in the Phillipines and did not plan to go to the Phillipines.

v/r,
Louis Ohland

PS. Aint never left anyone behind, luck, preparation, and accountability. BUT there's no profit in being stoopid...

:kidding:

Message Follows ------------------//
Hope you get this on time, This message is coming to you with great depression due to my state of discomfort. Traveled on a short trip with my family to Manila, Philippines. but unfortunately we got mugged and robbed at gun point on our way to the hotel where we stayed. All cash, credit cards and few other valuables were taken away.

We've been to the embassy and the police here and they have done the best they can. Presently, we are having some problem sorting our bills here as we need to settle every outstanding before we can return as our return flight leaves in few hours. I am contacting you to ask for a short loan of $1,950 (USD) to settle our bills which I will refund immediately I get my family back home safely. Please let me know if you can help.

Waiting to hear back from you soon.

End Message ------------------- //

handyman25
05-25-2012, 07:43 PM
Scams everywhere nowdays. My brother-in-law got a call "Grandpaw This is Joel anderson, I have been arrested in Bogata, Columba and need you to wire $2000 dollars now." Don't know how they got his grandsons first and last name but they knew. My brother in law is smart so his reply was "What color is the police station? I have been by that building a hundred times when I worked down there" (he has never even been there) a long silence and then the guy says "uh, I have never been asked that question before" and hung up.

Trey45
05-25-2012, 07:46 PM
I got a telemarketer call yesterday, some clown offering free credit protection, all they needed was my credit card numbers. I told them I don't give that info out over the phone but I would be happy to meet him somewhere to give him that info. They hung up on me. Cowards.

Goatwhiskers
05-25-2012, 10:36 PM
That was a very close resemblance to one I got supposedly from a lady that was the state steward for the Rural Letter Carriers in Louisiana. Pretty much the same except she was supposed to be in Italy. Guess someone hacked her e-mail list. Goat

Bret4207
05-26-2012, 07:16 AM
Boggles the mind to think anyone would respond to something like that.

Linstrum
05-26-2012, 07:42 AM
I get stuff like that all the time, I just got one supposedly from a close buddy wanting to send me $100,000 for safe keeping, just send my bank account number where I want it put! Then my Amazon order was canceled but it will be reprocessed as soon as I verify what my credit card number is. I got another supposedly from my email server telling me my email account and everything in it will be erased if I don't IMMEDIATELY right now send my password to verify it is in use. Then there are the emails telling me that my video over at Youtube is a real hit, which is actually from a foreign pharmacy trying to sell me medication to "enhance myself".

What I do so I don't actually have to open up any suspicious emails is to copy the subject line, like "your youtube video" and paste it over on Google and see what shakes loose as far as scams go. Pretty interesting reading about current scams.

rl 1133

41 mag fan
05-26-2012, 07:57 AM
We had that happen a few yrs ago. my wife was selling Oscherese pups. Guy contacted her via email. Wanted one air shipped to his place in N California. He was in the process of moving from Nashville to California.
You could tell by the email, it was a foreigner.
So a week later, we get a FedEx envelope with a check for $2600. Pup was selling for $600.
Wasn't even an hour after we get the check, there was an email.
The scam was good...real good.
The email, said there'd been a change of plans, his friend from Nashville was going to california to help him settle in. He wanted us to "hurry" and cash the check, keep the $600, and I think the $250 to ship dog, and western union the rest to his friend.
Funny thing after the flags went up, I looked at the envelope, it was from NYC, but the check was from Wells Fargo Bank N.D.

Took the check to my bank, they did an investigation on it. It was a phony check, talked to police....they didn't even want to bother with it. Said this happens so much, you cant track them down.

Here's the real crazy part, kept getting emails, every day from this person about cashing the check. About a week later, we get a ph call and I answer. It was a +1 number.
Guy says his name...sounded Nigerian by speech dialect.
I cut him off and say..That Check.......click. That was the end of that ph call

gew98
05-26-2012, 10:47 AM
I ove these sods that think so many are stupid. I put my 3 phase chain hoist on craigs list last year as I don't need it anymore. Some guy obviously foriegn to the written english langauge emails me he'll take it. Of course he has to email me a check for which I must purchase check printing paper and then print out the check for $2500 , keep my $500 and give the $2k to "his" pick up man. I let him know how bad his grasp of english was and how stupid I though his scam . Not long after that another 'buyer' appeared with the near identical scam parameters...damn laughable !.

Freightman
05-26-2012, 11:08 AM
I got the Nigerian scam five or six times, if I would give him my bank account number he would deposit $10,000,000 in it and then I could keep 10% when he got to the US, I was born at night but not last night.

ohland
05-26-2012, 02:49 PM
Got an automated call, saying it was from my bank, concerning my CC or ATM card. Press 1 to connect to security department...

Uh, it was from a phone number "206" and that is it. No area code, seven numbers, nada.

Hell's bells, maybe I need to be stranded in the People's Republic of Madison, WI. I got mugged by the Anti-Act 10 folks raising my taxes, and I need $500K to leave WI.

Remember, it's for the children...

Hi, this is Rachel from card holder services, there's nothing wrong with your credit card account.....

:violin: