PDA

View Full Version : Im done....

leadbutt
05-25-2012, 02:37 PM
I am now suffering from the last headache i will recieve from melting wheel weights. I just cant seem to get away from the fumes. No matter where i move around the pot the smoke/fumes chase me. Keep an eye on the swapping/selling forums for the rest that i have. Ill start boxing them up when i get my transportation issues settled.

L. Bottoms

zomby woof
05-25-2012, 09:51 PM
use a box fan

Jailer
05-25-2012, 10:25 PM
I get the same thing by the time I've melted a bucket or two.

Stick with it, it's worth the headache (literally).

geargnasher
05-25-2012, 11:02 PM
Sorry to hear that, are you done casting altogether or just the smelting part? I still think a respirator with some heavy-metal-vapor cartridges in it would help a bunch, but those kinds of headaches aren't fun so I don't blame you for throwing in the towel.

Gear

Ickisrulz
05-25-2012, 11:03 PM
Buy a respirator. Half face or full face if the smoke bothers your eyes. Use cartridges for approved for metal fumes.

jsizemore
05-25-2012, 11:04 PM
3M voc filter mask $30 at Lowe's. No odor, no headache, no raw feeling in your nose.

Ickisrulz
05-25-2012, 11:08 PM
3M voc filter mask $30 at Lowe's. No odor, no headache, no raw feeling in your nose.

This would be for volatile organic compounds not metal fumes. Metal fumes are a particulate...VOCs are an airborne gas, vapor or mist. Different inhalation hazards require different types of cartridges/filters.

jsizemore
05-25-2012, 11:22 PM
This would be for volatile organic compounds not metal fumes. Metal fumes are a particulate...VOCs are an airborne gas, vapor or mist. Different inhalation hazards require different types of cartridges/filters.

Please tell my mask that it shouldn't work. Hold on.... all that smoke must be a result of burning oil and paint. Maybe that's what it's filtering. If the melt doesn't get hot enough to boil, where's the metal vapor coming from?

geargnasher
05-25-2012, 11:29 PM
It depends on what exactly is bothering you. Probably more soot and organic fumes (like dog pee!) than any real metal vapors to be concerned about, but I would imagine that airborne oxides of lead and all the other junk in wheel weights is a possiblity, rising piggybacked on smoke particles, I know my casting exhaust fan tests hot for lead with paint test wipes. If you're allegic to the metal oxides it wouldn't take much.

Gear

Ickisrulz
05-25-2012, 11:37 PM
Please tell my mask that it shouldn't work. Hold on.... all that smoke must be a result of burning oil and paint. Maybe that's what it's filtering. If the melt doesn't get hot enough to boil, where's the metal vapor coming from?

Even if there are no metal fumes, smoke is a particulate and calls for a particulate mask. Same with oil mist.

VOCs are things like toluene, xylene, methyl ethyl ketone, etc. A VOC respirator would protect against these.

Just because your respirator seems to work for you doesn't mean it's working right or was designed for that application. It certainly is not certified for what you are using it for.

Ickisrulz
05-25-2012, 11:44 PM
There are not going to be any VOCs in wheel weights period.

Anything becoming airborne will be either a metal fume or smoke. This can be controlled by the proper type particulate respirator.

geargnasher
05-25-2012, 11:46 PM
There are not going to be any VOCs in wheel weights period.

Anything becoming airborne will be either a metal fume or smoke. This can be controlled by the proper type particulate respirator.

So what is in the fumes that come off of sticky weight adhesive strips, the globs of tire-mount grease, valve stems, and all the grease and oil all over typical wheel weights?

Gear

Ickisrulz
05-25-2012, 11:57 PM
So what is in the fumes that come off of sticky weight adhesive strips, the globs of tire-mount grease, valve stems, and all the grease and oil all over typical wheel weights?

Gear

The reason I say there won't be any VOCs is that in the environment we're talking about (a bucket of wheel weights) they would evaporate out immediately. You aren't going to have any VOCs in the residual oil/grease and although the adhesive may have had some when applied, it has long since dried and is gone. The smokey stuff is probably oil and "dirt" burning off. Plastic valve stems is burning rubber and plastic; certainly toxic (at the very least contains CO), but not a VOC. As long as the ambient air has enough oxygen and carbon monoxide doesn't build up, an air-purifying respirator with a particulate filter should work for the application we're discussing. That is someone smelting outside trying to avoid the smoke and odors (and not in an industrial setting).

lwknight
05-26-2012, 12:03 AM
I'm with you Gear.
Those vapors are pretty volatile when you add a match in the pot.
Actually that might be the problem. If you keep the temperature low enough to be sure that you don't accidently melt any zinc the fumes might not ignite and burn off.

When my smelting gets too smokey I add some wax and light the pot with a propane torch.
This keeps most smoke cleared up.

GLL
05-26-2012, 12:17 AM
I add 150 pounds of WW to the fabricated steel tube pot + a shovel-full of pine sawdust + one giant perfumed candle from the 99cent store and then walk away until the flames, smoke, and stink die down ! :)
Once all is calm I then add another batch of sawdust, flame, and stir and stir. The only smell by then is lovely pine pitch !

Jerry

LIMPINGJ
05-26-2012, 10:59 AM
I am with GLL on this, load her up and stand back.

Jim
05-26-2012, 04:17 PM
When I'm mining, the smelter is running about 6 hours of the day. I load it, cover it, fire it and leave it. I have a small electronic timer that clips on the back of my hat. I set it when I fire the smelter and go back to my other work. When the timer goes off, I go tend to the smelter. I don't hang around it like a grill.

fredj338
05-28-2012, 02:14 PM
Yeah, the respirator is the way to go for smelting. I live in the city, so only do small 30-40# batches on breezy days.

Inkman
05-28-2012, 02:23 PM
Yeah, the respirator is the way to go for smelting. I live in the city, so only do small 30-40# batches on breezy days.

Same here. Just not TOO breezy of days else the smoke finds me wherever i go.

Al

geargnasher
05-28-2012, 04:49 PM
I've been told that smoke follows the ugly, I think that's why a half-face respirator works for me! :kidding:

Gear

GT27
05-28-2012, 04:53 PM
When I'm mining, the smelter is running about 6 hours of the day. I load it, cover it, fire it and leave it. I have a small electronic timer that clips on the back of my hat. I set it when I fire the smelter and go back to my other work. When the timer goes off, I go tend to the smelter. I don't hang around it like a grill.

I'm with Jim on this make sure its safe and get away from it for awhile! GT27

latesvak
05-28-2012, 05:11 PM
sorry to hear that you are out of the game . i noticed a couple of melts ago i was getting a headache during the melt and went ad grabbed the box fan . that worked out great and have been good ever since. or just go with the mask. was thinking about getting one my self just as a extra precaution.

latesvak

TXGunNut
05-28-2012, 05:25 PM
I do my casting, smelting and even sorting outside and where I live the wind always seems to be blowing so unless I'm smelting stickon's I don't even notice it. Jim has a good point, no sense hanging around staring at the pot.

Inkman
05-28-2012, 05:28 PM
I've been told that smoke follows the ugly, I think that's why a half-face respirator works for me! :kidding:

Gear

Hey now. I resemble that remark ;)

Al

Roundnoser
05-28-2012, 08:28 PM

The timer is a good idea. I do the same thing, except I just keep and eye on the clock. It would be better if I set a timer so theres no way to forget.

No sense standing around while there's smoke / vapors in the air. Wait for them all to burn off and blow away.

leadbutt
05-28-2012, 11:10 PM
Imma try one more go with the resp mask and see if it helps. If not ill just be buyin my metals from roto.

L. Bottoms