PDA

View Full Version : "Quality" commercial reloads

Thumbcocker
05-24-2012, 09:58 PM
A young LEO of my acquaintance is a die har 1911 fan. His latest is in 9mm. He asked about my costs for 9mm boolit loads. I invited him to bring his components and load on my equipment. He said he had a source for local commercial reloads for $9 per box with him supplying his own brass.

A few days later he told me he was getting misfires and terrible leading. The "commercial loader" found nothing wrong with his ammo. The youngster talked me out of a couple of mags worth of my loads. All fired and no leading. He brought in the bullet box which had rock hard .356 projectiles lubed with red rock hard stuff. He also brought in some of the ammo. All rounds were ROLL CRIMPED into the grove on the hard projectiles. When chambered they were popping in beyond the reach of the firing pin. I can only guess how many people bought this "experts" product and are soured on cast bullets and handloaded ammunition. I have invited the LEO out again to use my stuff to put together some decent ammo.

Moderators please feel free to move this if necessary.

TCLouis
05-24-2012, 11:09 PM
Thumbcocker

That is a good thing, lead is getting harder to find!

runfiverun
05-25-2012, 02:03 AM
ummm,, roll crimped 9mm?
i have had to bump 45 acp's in a roll crimp die before, but it wasn't even noticeable to the naked eye,and that was only for one gun.
but never anything like that for a nine.
ultramax makes quite good ammo for a reloading outfit if you can find it in your area.
but getting him to come down the proper path is definately a better way.

Doc Highwall
05-25-2012, 11:04 AM
Who makes a roll crimp for a 9mm? He must have used a roll crimp die for a 38/357 on a cartridge that head spaces on the case mouth.