PDA

View Full Version : C.O.L for 9 mm

flyfrod
05-24-2012, 04:20 PM
Im try to work up some loads for my XDsc. The dummy rounds that I made up have a c.o.l. of 1.050. These seem to work through my gun but I'm afraid that they might be seated too deep. I'm using a .358 125gr boolit from a lee mold. Will I be ok and where should I start with powder charges?

Ben
05-24-2012, 04:59 PM
where should I start with powder charges?

A great place to start is always with the suggested starting loads.

Cherokee
05-24-2012, 05:48 PM
For me, COL is the longest that will chamber and function in my guns. I find that by trying a dummy round in the chamber of the dismounted barrel. Seat the bullet long, will it fully chamber ? If not seat a little deeper and try again. Repeat until you have a depth that will fully chamber and feed from your magazine. Look at the starting loads in your manual for the bullet you are using.

williamwaco
05-24-2012, 06:08 PM
For me, COL is the longest that will chamber and function in my guns. I find that by trying a dummy round in the chamber of the dismounted barrel. Seat the bullet long, will it fully chamber ? If not seat a little deeper and try again. Repeat until you have a depth that will fully chamber and feed from your magazine. Look at the starting loads in your manual for the bullet you are using.

Excellent advice.

Make up that dummy round with no primer and no powder.

When it is perfect. Degrease it and write the mold number or other bullet id on the side of the case with a indelible sharpie. Then store it in your box with your loading dies for that caliber. You can use it next time for setting the seating die quickly.

1hole
05-24-2012, 06:11 PM
"These seem to work through my gun but I'm afraid that they might be seated too deep. "

I give up, why do you think they may be seated "too deep"?

John Boy
05-24-2012, 06:14 PM
COL - 9mm Parabellum = Overall length 29.69 mm (1.169 in)

You might want to start by buying a couple handloading reference books, ie
http://leeprecision.com/modern-reloading-2nd-ed.html

Trying to learn reloading basics OJT on forums is doing nothing to improve your educational skills

flyfrod
05-24-2012, 08:52 PM
If you read the original post I did make dummy rounds that chamber in my gun. My worry is that the boolit is seated to deep there for reducing case volume. This is my first try at loading cast boolits. I reload regular bullets on a regular basis. I just want to make sure I don't ruin myself or the gun.

emorris
05-24-2012, 09:45 PM
You will have to reduce the powder charge if the col of the round listed in your manual is longer than the col you are using. If that is the col the gun likes then that is what it will have to be. Just make sure to load a small batch to test for function before you go full scale production. I havent loaded that bullet that short so I cannot give you a charge weight of a certin powder to start. What powder(s) are you using/have on hand. A little more info will help.

flyfrod
05-25-2012, 12:45 AM
I was thinking either unique or bullseye. I found in my modern reloading that for bullseye starting grains at 4.7, red dot at 4.3, and unique at 5.3. Now in the hornady book it says for 124 gr lead boolit COL of 1.090 with starting grains at 4.0 - 5.0

fredj338
05-25-2012, 01:43 AM
I was thinking either unique or bullseye. I found in my modern reloading that for bullseye starting grains at 4.7, red dot at 4.3, and unique at 5.3. Now in the hornady book it says for 124 gr lead boolit COL of 1.090 with starting grains at 4.0 - 5.0

You are not reading somethng right.You can NOT use jacketed data for lead loads verbatum. You can use starting jacketed loads to work up if yo ucan't find data for your bullet type/wt. OAL/COL is ALWAYS gun & bullet specific, regardless of what the data says. You will always use starting data & work up. Deep seating will have less affect w/ lower pressures than it does if loading at the top end.

Shiloh
05-25-2012, 09:42 AM

What Ben said.

Or a tenth or two below if there are variables.
I am working with a LEE 125 gr RNFP. I'll be using AA#5 as I do with the 9mm and .40 S&W.
The starting load is 5.4 grains with a 130 gr lead boolit. This coming from an AA load book.
I'll start at 5.3 gr.

There are differences to be considered. This boolit will sit a bit deeper than say the LEE 125 RN designed for the 9mm. I also have a bit of engraving on boolit from seating as the .358 sizing is to large for the throat area. Both these conditions will raise pressure on an already high pressure round. I'll try sizing at .357 as well.

I'll report back when I have results.

Shiloh

sig2009
05-25-2012, 12:52 PM
With 120-125gn bullet I never go over 4.0gns bullseye or 4.3gns bullseye with 115gn lead. Works for me.

blikseme300
05-25-2012, 08:00 PM

+1

The published COL is for specific boolits and is not gospel. My CZ's have very short leades and the Lee 120 TC's won't chamber if at published COL. The dummy round method just works.

I started with 3.6gr of HP-38 and worked up to 4.2gn* for perfect cycling of the autos and POA hits. These give me good accuracy with no leading at 1050fps in my 9's.

*use these loads at your own risk - they work for me and your mileage may vary.

Bliksem