PDA

View Full Version : ? for surplus powder users

LIMPINGJ
07-05-2005, 11:34 PM
Of the powders on the market now which would you buy for cast bullet loads in 30-30 size family to 45-70 and 38 to 45 handgun cases. All loads will be plinking level for kids and hopefully to standard velocity for practice loads for me. I have saved enough to make a large enough order where GI Brass will eat the haz mat fee. Now I just need to decide which powders to order. Any recomendations from your past experiences with these powders will of help.
Thanks
Jim

Leftoverdj
07-06-2005, 12:48 AM
WC 846 will do .30-30 and upper level .45-70, but be real careful with that one because there are big lot-to-lot variations. WC 680 is being used by some folks in those cases about where you would use 4198, but I have not gotten to that.

Jeff has changed his #102 since I bought mine, but the current version is said to approximate Red Dot, and should do well for pistol plinking.

Buckshot
07-06-2005, 01:20 AM
..............There are several people around who are using WC820 for mild cast loads in rifle cartridges. I don't know about using it reduced in pistol rounds. For that I think Jeff or maybe it's Pats who has the AA#2.

I just bought 32 lbs of Norma Tubal 2000 from Graf & Son @ $54/8lbs. The way they're describing it's use, it sound like 4198 to me. A good powder for loads in most any rifle cartridge. Will have to see what it does.

..............Buckshot

TCLouis
07-06-2005, 08:23 PM
I think I noticed at his site (gibrass.com)the other day that the buyer is going to pay some of the Haz Mat fee no matter the size of the order.

If I keep fiddling around and not getting my order to him (already missed the 4759 and one other) it will be to the point that he does not even have any powder any more!

BlueMoon
07-07-2005, 12:20 PM
I see that Natchez has the AA Data Powder 79 for $69 for a 8lb jug. Have seen this one talked about but don't know much about it myself.

Bill

alamogunr
07-07-2005, 11:03 PM
I think I noticed at his site (gibrass.com)the other day that the buyer is going to pay some of the Haz Mat fee no matter the size of the order.

If I keep fiddling around and not getting my order to him (already missed the 4759 and one other) it will be to the point that he does not even have any powder any more!

I ordered 4 jugs last week. I thought I was going to save the Haz Mat fee. When I looked at Jeff's web site, the fee is applied to all orders. I asked about this when I called and he said that he had had an increase in costs (for plastic jugs I think) and rather than increase prices on powder he eliminated the reduced Haz Mat. Still a good deal!

John

lar45
07-08-2005, 01:37 AM
I've used WC820 in low velocity 30-30 and 30-06 loads. 10 gns. I've also tried 10 gns WC680 in the 30-06. Good accuracy, but low velocity.
I've also shot WC820 in low velocity 44 mag loads. I didn't have any ignition problems and the accuracy was pretty good. For low velocity loads, you use more powder than a faster burner so you wouldn't save any money over canister powder like 700X.

If they had something in the reddot burn range, I think this would be great for 38's and 45's. I shoot 700X in my 45 acp's it burns about the same as Red Dot I think.

I've shot WC680 in my 45-70 BFR with way heavy loads. It needs a magnum primer to set it off and I think the pressures were up there, so I wouldn't use it in a weak gun.

Willbird
07-08-2005, 06:57 AM
I will offer an idea.........I checked around locally and where the trapshooters buy I can get Hogden Clays for $80.00 per 8 lbs, no hazmat, no shipping (I drive there). If I only want 1 lb I can get it there for $11.00, Universal is $12.00 per lb and $90.00 per 8lb.

when you look at how frugal a powder that stuff is and do the math I don't see a HUGE savings for those applications with a surplus.

Magnum pistol with the H-110 type powders seem to me to offer the largest savings using a surplus powder, making it worth buying 24-32 lbs in a crack, and driving to massilon (from near the IN state line) ohio to pick it up.

Rifle powders I have a fondness for Hogden Extremes for actual work with the rifle, I will have to develop a surplus powder solution for playing around in the cast bullet calibers.

Bill

alamogunr
07-08-2005, 09:52 AM
I will offer an idea.........I checked around locally and where the trapshooters buy I can get Hogden Clays for $80.00 per 8 lbs, no hazmat, no shipping (I drive there). If I only want 1 lb I can get it there for $11.00, Universal is $12.00 per lb and $90.00 per 8lb.

when you look at how frugal a powder that stuff is and do the math I don't see a HUGE savings for those applications with a surplus.

Magnum pistol with the H-110 type powders seem to me to offer the largest savings using a surplus powder, making it worth buying 24-32 lbs in a crack, and driving to massilon (from near the IN state line) ohio to pick it up.

Rifle powders I have a fondness for Hogden Extremes for actual work with the rifle, I will have to develop a surplus powder solution for playing around in the cast bullet calibers.

Bill

No question that your analysis is correct but where I live those options are limited(read non-existant). I pay anywhere from $15 to $20 a pound for most powders plus almost 10% sales tax, so surplus for those powders I use a lot is worth it. Spreading the Haz Mat over 28 to 30 lbs of powder makes sense to me.

John

Willbird
07-08-2005, 12:59 PM
Oh I can relate on the top end retail price for powder, part of me shrieks in agony opening my wallet that much for a lb. of powder hehe

Bill