PDA

View Full Version : strange things in the pot

scrapcan
04-16-2007, 11:28 PM
OK all here is a picture for you to tell me what is going on. I am using the same batch of wheel weight and marvelux to flux. Nothing has changed that I know of.

Last night I cast a few for the 32 S&W, actually about 500 311252 and filled the pot. I made sure all added ingots were melted and I fluxed and cast about 200 more. I then shut down the pot. I checked this morning and this is what it looked like.

Dale53
04-17-2007, 12:22 AM
It looks like the pot has overheated the metal to me. After I shut off my pot, I unplug it. Then I throw the breaker. Don't ask why...

Dale53

flyingstick
04-17-2007, 01:02 AM
I'd have to agree with Dale53, I'm no expert but when i cast from a cast iron skillet I'd always get the same thing. I had no thermometer and I always thought I was getting too hot. I always had the same problem till I went to an electric pot. Thermostat could be stuck. Just a guess though.

scrapcan
04-17-2007, 09:53 AM
OK guys,

the temp was around 680 F. Pot was unplugged. This picture was taken approx 7 hours after the pot was shut down. The thermostat is working. With the old pot you can tell when it comes on and goes off.

What would be oxidizing to give the brilliant blue/purple color? By the way the alloy was casting wonderfully. Could this be a result of marvelux flux oxidizing?

flyingstick
04-17-2007, 10:07 AM
Sorry, I can't help with that one. It'll take much more knowledge than I have.
I always thought I was getting iron from my iron skillet. Not your problem. Maybe some of the experts will chime in today,
Don

scrapcan
04-17-2007, 10:14 AM
Flyingstick,

No need to be sorry. all answers are great. initially I thought the same thing about the overheating. but I have run this pot on full out in the past and have never seen this before. The kicker is that this is all the same batch of ww that I have been running for about 6 months and have not had this happen.

I just thought it was pretty interesting. Bullets are not any harder according to the initial test but they will need to age for a while before I know for sure.

What does tin look like when it oxidizes? Maybe I did not get a good flux and am having seperation.