PDA

View Full Version : Researching French Trade guns

RhodeHunter
05-23-2012, 09:22 AM
I am planning to own one - fusil de chasse. Or maybe I should say I have an addiction :veryconfu.

I've started my research for maybe a month now. Not sure about if I will build it myself or ask a builder yet.

I am looking for your opinions/advice. Thanks.

The only things I'm pretty sure about is that the barrel will be 20 gage, octagon to round. Oh, and LEFT HANDED, which limits some of the suppliers stocks that are available. I haven't used a flintlock before, so I will ask, "Can lefties use a righty flintlock OK, or is it much better to make it a lefty?" And does anybody know if Tulle or St. Etienne made left-handed versions?

Thank you.

DIRT Farmer
05-23-2012, 10:34 AM
Good luck on the chase, I have been shooting the trade gun class for around 40 years and love it.
I started with a brown bess, really a musket but was traded to the indians so it qulifys then a 20 ga now a 28. I know you say you have settled on a 20 butif shooting mainly a ball, look at the 28. Mine does very well in the clay target matches and surprised me with a round ball.
As for shooting a right hand gun left handed, I plan on ordering a double barrel flint shotgun if I can find a maker when I get to Frindship in a few weeks no it is not a problem, but in your case, I would definatly get a left handed gun.
I doubt if any of the origonal true trade guns were left handed, as they were made as cheaply as possible. There were left handed fowlers.

Sven
05-23-2012, 10:39 AM
Have you been to http://www.trackofthewolf.com (Track of the Wolf) yet? I see they have a new catalog (#18) about ready to go out. In my #17, they show four different French fusils, offer stocks without the lock inlet and have suggestions for a left hand lock. They also have a number of books for sale on building muzzleloaders.

I just purchased a trade gun built from Track's parts (see my earlier Trade Gun thread below), but with a rifled Green River barrel, front and rear sights and Queen Anne lock, it's not really true to form. I think it will prove to be a good first flintlock, though.

Because my local area is more associated with the French fur trade than the mountain men, I also am interested in building my own fusil. White Oak fur trading post is just down the road. I have to admit, though, Track's J&S Hawkin flintlock is on my bucket list!

waksupi
05-23-2012, 11:19 AM
If you can, shoot someone's fusil de chase before purchasing. Many, me included, find they really whack the cheek bone. You could probably change the configuration a bit to make them more comfortable.
I would stick with the 20 bore. I've tried all the guage sizes over the years, and the 20 is the most efficient for hunting and target use.
I built two left hand smoothbores this winter. It is strange, just because the lock is on the other side, how unnatural it feels to build them!
Just a thought, look into French fowlers, too.

KCSO
05-23-2012, 02:01 PM
I will have to agree with Waksuii, II lusted after a fusil right up till I got one. I shoot my English Officers fusil much better.

RhodeHunter
05-23-2012, 02:10 PM
My last name is LaPierre, so go figure why I want a French one.:bigsmyl2:

Check out the reverse curve of the butt section on the bottom (oldest) gun on the following page:

After the wrist angles down, the butt then angles up toward the shooters head.

http://www.littlegun.info/arme%20francaise/a%20accueil%20arme%20francaise%20gb.htm

RhodeHunter
05-23-2012, 02:15 PM
I realize it's not a fusil de chasse, but similar stock.

RhodeHunter
05-23-2012, 02:29 PM
I don't mind building a fantasy gun. It's just that if, God forbid, I ever have to sell it, then I thought the market would be bigger if it included reenactors who want a more PC gun.

waksupi
05-23-2012, 03:45 PM
Actually, the stock design there is quite a bit different. If you look at your example, the cheek piece actually drops away behind the cheek as the gun is fired.
On the first example of a fusil de chasse below, you will see that the recoil rides directly into the cheek bone, and it takes very few shots before you develop a nasty flinch, because you know darn well it is going to hurt you every time you pull the trigger.
On the second example of a French fowler, the cheek piece angles down more, and is a much more comfortable configuration.

RhodeHunter
05-23-2012, 04:17 PM
Wow, I had to really study the pictures to pick up the subtle difference. You really have come up with an elegant solution, though. It's French, and it doesn't punch your face, and it's a smoothbore!![smilie=w: