PDA

View Full Version : Kudos to the Ranch Dog

captaint
05-23-2012, 09:11 AM
Yesterday I broke out my new Ranch Dog mold (6cav for the 95?? gr .380). I had cleaned the mold good and all appeared well. What a nice mold it is. It did take a while to get it up to temp even though I had it on the hot plate for a while. Small boolits, lots of aluminum.
Anyway after it got up to temp it made lots of very nice .360 inch boolits. I was using my Lyman dipper and that even went well.
Well made mold, though. A couple light taps and the little beauties fell right out. I'm also impressed with the 6 cav Lee mold. It's the first one I've used. Very nice. enjoy Mike

fecmech
05-23-2012, 09:32 AM
I've got the same mold works great and shoots great. I even use it as a light plinker in my .38 spl.

captaint
05-23-2012, 01:56 PM
fecmech - That's a good idea. Probably have to try that. Thanks. enjoy Mike

rintinglen
05-23-2012, 10:39 PM
+1 on the kudos for Ranch Dog molds. I have the same 380-95 grainer as well as the similar design for the 32 ACP. Both are very good molds, casting excellent boolits once up to temp.
I have had poor results using Lee molds in the past, but despite the relatively small mass of the boolits in relation to the mold, I am dropping 6 keepers at time very quickly.
The only bit of advice I can offer to someone contemplating purchasing one of these, other than "just do it," is that you'll get best performance if you run the pot hotter than normal and run a large sprue.

captaint
05-24-2012, 02:20 PM
Yeah, I had to get the pot up to 700 and then I had it runnin really good. Mike

captaint
05-24-2012, 02:44 PM
Now, if we can get the Ranch Dog to make some standard loob gruve molds......... Mike

fatelk
05-25-2012, 12:06 AM
Now, if we can get the Ranch Dog to make some standard loob gruve molds
+1 on that. I see some good looking designs on his web site and would like to buy a couple, but I'm just not a tumble lube fan. Yes, I know it can be made to work fine; I just have my preferences.

fecmech
05-25-2012, 11:12 AM
I run mine through my star and lube with the Magma hard lube. Works just fine in the Keltec and I get no leading in the K38 6" bbl running about 900 fps. If I'm going through the trouble of sizing them I didn't want the extra step of TL.

Centaur 1
05-25-2012, 02:09 PM
Without a doubt my favorite mold. I use this boolit in .380, 9mm and 38 special, and it works equally well in all three calibers. I even use it in my Glock with zero leading. The best part is how much lead I save over using heavier boolits.

Wilsknife
05-26-2012, 12:09 AM
+1 on the kudos for Ranch Dog molds. I have the same 380-95 grainer as well as the similar design for the 32 ACP. Both are very good molds, casting excellent boolits once up to temp.
I have had poor results using Lee molds in the past, but despite the relatively small mass of the boolits in relation to the mold, I am dropping 6 keepers at time very quickly.
The only bit of advice I can offer to someone contemplating purchasing one of these, other than "just do it," is that you'll get best performance if you run the pot hotter than normal and run a large sprue.

Just got mine last week. Good Stuff Maynard! Keepers out of the second pour. Four hundred plus bullets later, I took a break.
:cbpour:
:bigsmyl2:
:Luvcastboolits: