PDA

View Full Version : Loading data for cast boolits

Ghost101
05-23-2012, 08:03 AM
Hi everyone, I'm knew here as of a few min. ago. I need help with loading data for boolit weights that aren't listed in my Lyman cast book. Example, just got a .500 S&W, ordered some boolits that are 410g (422g) an 450g. Now I really don't wish to blow this gun up or any of my other guns that I will be casting for in the future. There has to be a simple formula for making the adjustments to the different weights. Like you can get 700g boolits but how do you figure out how much powder to put behind it? I know that the molds produce different weights from what they are listed for depending on the alloys used. I'm not a math type to be sure.

Calamity Jake
05-23-2012, 09:06 AM
Use the load data for the 450gr with the 410(422)gr boolit, that'll keep you in the safe zone.
If there isn't any data for a heavy that you want to load then use the closes lighter weight boolit and reduce the powder starting load by 10-15% and work up, ie you have a 500gr boolet but no load data, use data for the 450gr and reduce listed starting load 10-15%

By the way, welcome!!!

44man
05-23-2012, 09:21 AM
Some calibers have very little printed info, it is a big thorn in the side.
Yes, some things worry me, I am the last to try something funny and it has taken a month of research to even attempt the first shot. A few things are never to be found.
I feel what you ask.
I can tell you one thing, stay away from those crazy 700 gr boolits, you can not stabilize them.