PDA

View Full Version : Is it really this easy to load heavy .308 cast loads?

Crosshair
05-22-2012, 08:35 PM
Well the last time I tried loading centerfire cast boolits, in my 6.5x55, I couldn't get them to shoot at all. I then bought a Ruger Gunsite Scout rifle in 308. LOVE the gun so I decided that since I did have success in loading 30-30 with cast I should give this a shot. I decided to use surplus IMR-4895 since I have a bunch of it and it's cheaper than the alternatives.

So I decided to use my water dropped Lee C312-155-2R boolits, which I had tried in my 30-30 and gotten poor results. I look around here and decided on a starting load of 26.5 grains with a gas check and my Johnson's paste Wax/Vaseline/Alox lube. I load up a batch of 10 to the crimp grove and take them to the range.

I knew from shooting jacketed bullets in my GSR, which has a TRS-25 1x red-dot on it, that shooting at 50 yards my groups are twice as big when I shoot sitting than when shooting from a full rest at a proper range. So I go to the gravel road and put a target 50 yards away and shoot the 26.5 grain loads. They group at about 3-4", 6 to 8 MOA, which would mean I might get 3-4 MOA if shot from a rest. Not bad, but the loads are real pooftinkers vs a full-house jacketed .308.

My ultimate goal was a cheap plinking load that replicated jacketed 308 as much as possible with plinker accuracy so I figured I should ramp it up a bit. I have my Lee loading manual and I look in the cast bullet section for 155 grain and 4895..............long story short I have worked my way up to 40 grains of 4895 and they are still shooting 6" to 8" MOA from a rough sitting position. This isn't quite MAX in the Lee book, but the ballistics and felt recoil seem to be close to my 308 loads at least out to 100 yards and still I see no leading in the bore. It's actually mirror shiny, possibly because of the lube.

I was thinking I would have ran into trouble long before this and had a lot more trouble. Is it really supposed to be this easy? After my complete failure with cast in 6.5x55 I was simply shocked at how well this worked. Load 10, shoot, bump load up another grain and repeat until I got to 40 grains.

Am I just lucky or is this typical for .308 when all you're looking for is plinker accuracy? Going to try and shoot these from a full rest next time I am at the "real" range and see what kind of groups I get.

Thanks again to this forum being such a wealth of information.

Doc Highwall
05-22-2012, 10:48 PM
Have you slugged your barrel and what size are you sizing your bullets to?

Your bullets should be .001"-.002" larger then your barrel slugged.

Crosshair
05-22-2012, 11:29 PM
Bullets are sized to .309".

357maximum
05-23-2012, 01:05 AM
I use the BRP 30-180 silhouette(real similar to the RCBS sil boolit) boolit in my self sporterized spanish 93 mauser in .308 over 38.0 grains of W-748. While not a rockstopper load it does what I need...I.E 1.5inch at 100 with a reciever mounted peepsight. It was the second load I tried:-). The first load was with H322 and was almost as good. Cast rifle shooting need not be difficult when things are right. A little luck never hurt though.

RugerFan
05-23-2012, 07:46 AM
Am I just lucky or is this typical for .308 when all you're looking for is plinker accuracy?

Yes, 6-8 MOA in "plinker accuracy" is that easy. Actually 2 MOA or better with light loads in a .308 is not especially difficult. Cranking up the velocity is when things get a bit more tricky. Try IMR 3031.

Crosshair
05-23-2012, 08:02 AM
Its pretty obvious that your accuracy requirements and mine are completely different. If you check down in "factory rifles" there are several threads about the GSR, and some load info, but none with full throttle 3-4" groups at 50 yards.

Yes, but mine only has a dot sight and like I said, I was just shooting from a sitting position where I know my group sizes double vs a proper rest. I'll probably get 3-4 MOA when I use a proper rest.

Quite honestly, if I tried a load that shot 3-4MOA I would have considered it a near disaster. Try shooting that same boolit over 18-20gr 2400 and see how your GSR likes 'em. I've shot as small as 4/5 shots in 2/10" at 55 yards. You might also try sized .310" and .311". Mine have all been .311" and .312"so far with .311" grouping far more consistently.

Well then you've never seen my disasters.:-P I'll try a few from the next boolit batch at .311" and see what happens, was a little warry about trying that, but given the good results I'll try them.

I bought the GSR for the sheer pleasure of shooting, so lighter recoiling loads that are very accurate were the objective. Mine has not seen a single round of jacketed.

Mine was to have a .308 bolt gun as a replacement for my .308 autoloader so I can neck size vs FL sizing. For practice I want to have something that replicates the recoil of the full house 308 loads.

Yes, 6-8 MOA in "plinker accuracy" is that easy. Actually 2 MOA or better with light loads in a .308 is not especially difficult. Cranking up the velocity is when things get a bit more tricky.
Yea, if figured that when I cranked it up I would lose a bit of accuracy.

Try IMR 3031.
Where can I get 3031 for $88 for an 8 lb jug?

Thanks for the feedback.

Doc Highwall
05-23-2012, 11:00 AM
I shoot bullets as small as .310" in my 308 Winchester and as large as .311".

I even made a .3105" sizing die for more testing once I feel better.

I am looking for extreem accuracy and off a bench my best 5 shot group at 100 yards is .305" and at 300 yards is 1.600".

Char-Gar
05-23-2012, 11:10 AM
Glad you are feeling better about your cast bullet shooting and I have a few throughts;

1. There is a reason why the 6.5 would not shoot well for you and the .308 does. It is pretty obvious, but you need to figure that out.

2. Your .308 is capable of far, far better cast bullet accuracy than you have obtained thus far. you need to figure out how to do that.

Keep at it.....Don't settle for what you have done so far!

RugerFan
05-23-2012, 12:14 PM
Where can I get 3031 for $88 for an 8 lb jug?

You can't, although you can get WC846 from Hi Tech Ammo for $94 per 8 lbs. I haven't used it, but folks have had good luck with it for cast in .308 (and it's a little faster than 4895).

Since you have plenty IMR 4895 and want to use it, you will have to adjust some other variables (alloy, bullet dia, bullet type, etc.). My .308 loves the Lyman 311291 (.311" dia) up to 2000 FPS. Mine are cast pretty hard, but others have had better luck with 50/50 ww/pure pb. Its a good sign that you're not getting any leading.

4895 shoots really well in my .358 Win, but never tried it in the .308.

Thats a great rifle you have there by the way.

Crosshair
06-24-2012, 05:40 PM
Been gone for awhile and I have a couple new questions, but figure I should answer some that I never got to.

Glad you are feeling better about your cast bullet shooting and I have a few throughts;

1. There is a reason why the 6.5 would not shoot well for you and the .308 does. It is pretty obvious, but you need to figure that out.

Well my gunsmithing friend pointed out that the crown was really bad on the gun. I let him re-crown it for practice with his new tool. It has made a significant difference for jacketed loads. I will have to try some cast and see what happens.

2. Your .308 is capable of far, far better cast bullet accuracy than you have obtained thus far. you need to figure out how to do that.

Keep at it.....Don't settle for what you have done so far!

I'm thinking about trying my 311-93-1R to make light pest loads to combine with the Thompson Machine THIRTY can.

That comes to the question I am about to ask. I have been using my C312-155-2R mold thus far, but I keep having problems with the bullets sticking in the mold from what I think is the bullets spitzer shape and the sharp/deep lube grooves.

I am thinking about swapping over to my CTL312-160-2R mold, which I know releases a lot easier. My questions is is there a significant accuracy difference between the two when pushed hard like I am and do those small lube groves hold enough lube to prevent leading? The only ones I have are from the one batch I made of them are from years ago when I was getting the lube mix figured out and I figure I'll save some time by asking here before going through the trouble of making a batch of CTL312-160-2R boolits.

Your thoughts? Thanks.

ShooterAZ
06-24-2012, 07:03 PM
Its pretty obvious that your accuracy requirements and mine are completely different. If you check down in "factory rifles" there are several threads about the RGS, and some load info, but none with full throttle 3-4" groups at 50 yards.

Quite honestly, if I tried a load that shot 3-4MOA I would have considered it a near disaster. Try shooting that same boolit over 18-20gr 2400 and see how your RGS likes 'em. I've shot as small as 4/5 shots in 2/10" at 55 yards. You might also try sized .310" and .311". Mine have all been .311" and .312"so far with .311" grouping far more consistently.

bought the RGS for the sheer pleasure of shooting, so lighter recoiling loads that are very accurate were the objective. Mine has not seen a single round of jacketed.

+1, I am happy when the 50 yd shots are all touching each other. 100 yard groups of 1-1/2 or less and I am cheering. Try a different lube like 2500+ and size at .311.

1Shirt
06-27-2012, 08:03 PM
.310 or .311 depending on which shoots better. Try Lars Can. Red lube. Try 2400 or RL-7 for vols in the 1800-2000 fps range and think you will be happy. Should be able to stay under 3" from bench at 100, and quite probably much less. Good lluck!
1Shirt!:coffee: