PDA

View Full Version : Hey Kids wear your glasses....

dk17hmr
04-16-2007, 08:24 PM
Few weeks ago I got a great job at a local cabinet shop, last Friday my boss was turning a leg for an island we are making to go with a really expensive kitchen that is heading to Alabama in a few weeks when we get all done. He wasnt wearing saftey glasses, the Kitchen is all clear Cherry as is the leg, a chip flew into his eye and he thought he got it out before we left work that afternoon. Chris was about 10 minutes late today, he came in and said sorry but he was at the doctors, his 7th visit since Friday night.

The chip of cherry cut his eye ball, it was about as red as a stop sign today, he said that it didnt hurt as bad now because of the pain killers the doctor gave him but the light still bothers it, so he wore sun glasses most of the day.

We wear ear protections alot, when the machines are running with the dust collector and radio among other things it get very loud in the shop very quick. Not to often do glasses get put on, unless routering or sanding, that will change now.

So wear those glasses!!!

Mk42gunner
04-16-2007, 10:41 PM
Make sure they are rated for what you are doing too. Last year I was repairing the rim on my tractor (rust holes caused by Calcium Chloride solution);I was wearing safety glasses when I should have had goggles at least.

I got a miniscule speck of rust in my right eye ffrom the grinder, I didn't even realize it at the time. Two days later I was in class and could barely see. One of the girls in class looked at it and said that I needed to go to the doctor. Have you ever tried to drive 54 miles seeing double? Not easy driving with one eye folks.

After the optometrist dilated my eye; it still wasn't any fun trying to get home, I got on the gravel roads as soon as possible so I could have my student driver (my daughter) get us home.

I wear eye protection when any power tool is running any where around me now.

Robert

Bigjohn
04-16-2007, 10:44 PM
It's a hard lesson learnt when it's too late.

I need glasses for reading etc but the lenses are treated (Hardened) so they get used all the time.

On a lighter note:- The most dangerous place I have needed glasses lately is at the computor when visiting this site.
Do you realise how much coffee gets sprayed around here when reading this forum? Gotta have ya glasses on.:kidding:

John.

versifier
04-17-2007, 01:09 PM
About a year and a half ago, I was melting down some linotype in the form of cast printers letters when I added one that had water in its void. It was my first meeting with the tinsel fairy and a very educational experience. Vision was blurry in my right eye, so I took off my safety glasses to find a blob of hardened alloy about an inch in diameter on the lens. I have always been fanatical about wearing eye and ear ptotection whenever appropriate. How much damage do you think a 100gr blob of molten alloy would do to the human eyeball? I don't want to find out. Neither do you.

DLCTEX
04-17-2007, 08:01 PM
Once I worked in a wire manufacuring plant on the night shift. The supervisor was a little lax about requiring us to wear our safety glasses. One night the day supervisor took his place due to a family emergency. We were rolling up scrap wire into a barrel when he told me to put my glasses on. I complied and 10 seconds later the wire slipped out of the barrel and uncoiled, stricking me in the eye. He said, great timing, huh. I was much more compliant after that. Dale

357maximum
04-17-2007, 11:22 PM
Safety glasses have saved me so many times, I now wear them almost ALL the time. Either in form of yellow tinted/clear/smoke...my everyday sunglasses are safety glasses... I have lost track of how many times I would have been injured or blinded without them. I had an incident with molten lead and a moist board while making river sinkers as a youth, I would have no doubt lost my right eye that day had I not had my eyesavers on.....I looked like a cross between the elephant man and a severe herpes victim two seconds after it popped from the moisture in the board..

I even wear protection while woods bumming/hunting that includes walking. Prickly ash trees are abundant round here, and can cause a severe eye injury in less than a heartbeat..

My guys always called me the safety glass nazi at work...I was an ademant ass about it, but for their own good....I could preach all night about safety glasses/goggles but I won't...just wear the darn things or suffer the consequences is all I will say further.

Imagine being blind the rest of your life when it could have been easily prevented if that is not motivation enough what is...

monadnock#5
04-18-2007, 11:34 AM
I love my bifocal safety glasses (w/side shields). I have a "nerd" strap on them so that I can lift them up onto my forehead visor style, for work with a microscope or searching out small parts on the floor. Otherwise, there's no need to ever take them off. Undoubtedly the greatest invention since the flintlock.

Ken

BruceB
04-18-2007, 04:37 PM
After wearing corrective glasses for about 50 years, I had Lasik surgery performed on both eyes.

Naturally, this meant I was suddenly "naked" in the world of vision, and I found that the protection I'd lived with for all those years was gone. It didn't take long before I 'd had a few close calls. One of them involved the Christmas tree I was wrestling into the house! A pine needle cut right across the iris and pupil of my left eye, leaving a double-vision-creating scratch which healed very slowly over several weeks.

I'm now extremely cautious, and keep safety glasses all over the place so that they're immediately available. My very first Tinsel Fairy visit occurred a few months ago, when a live primer got into the pot. Moments before, I'd put on the glasses. As it happened, no alloy hit my face, but in the first few seconds after the bang, I didn't know that, and was VERY GLAD that I'd had the sense to grab those glasses.

My favorite type are a lightweight rimless almost-goggle Uvex design, which I can actually forget that I'm wearing. They fit very close to the face around the edges, do not impair the field-of-view, and the protection is both excellent and comfortable.

Cheap insurance: WEAR SOME EYE PROTECTION!!!

Ricochet
04-24-2007, 06:48 PM
Saturday I had a case head let go in my Government Model .45. Combination of a load on the warm side, a boolit that got pushed down in the case and ran the pressure too high, and a 1942 FA case that could've been soft or brittle. Blew out the unsupported part of the case over the feed ramp. The magazine popped out, and my face was heavily sprayed with stinging particles. I saw one tiny red dot beside my nose that looked like a tiny puncture. Felt like I'd been sandblasted. I can't see how the trajectory for those particles would've come back from the breech of that Colt extended at arm's length in front of my face, but come back they did. Yet my glasses kept them out of my eyes. The pistol was unharmed. I picked up everything, went home, cleaned and inspected it, and was no worse for the wear. I'd learned some things about how NOT to assemble a .45 load. (My new experiment of using unsized boolits, unsized cases and sizing the loaded rounds with a Lee Carbide Factory Crimp Die was a failure, one I strongly recommend against repeating, and even without the telescoping boolits, 5 grains of Nitro 100 under a 230 grain boolit is unnecessary wear and tear for both the gun and shooter. It's under the starting load in the Lee manual published contemporaneously with my purchase of the powder, but Accurate's currently published data lists a maximum of 4.5 grains that seems reasonable to me.)

Anyway, I heartily second the recommendation to wear those glasses!

I'll own up to my foolish mistakes if it may keep someone else from repeating them.

Four Fingers of Death
04-24-2007, 08:28 PM
Actually if you do not use personal protection equipment as required in Australia and get hurt, you and the employer are likely to cop a healthy fine.

There was a govt' safety inspector out our way that got pulled over for speeding, when the cop handed the guy the ticket, he was handed the guy's business card and shown his ID. The cop then got a $500 fine for not wearing his reflective vest.