PDA

View Full Version : Muriatic acid

Jim
05-22-2012, 08:24 AM
It just occured to me that I've seen quite a few posts that mention using Muriatic (Hydrochloric) acid to test for the presence of Zinc. I did a quick search and found a lot of posts that suggest using it as a tell tale, but did not find any that warn of the dangers of this acid. I confess my search was not thorough or extensive.

All that blather being said, I copied the link to the MSD of Muriatic acid (http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9924285)from a chemical supplies site that sells it.

Regardless of your age or level of experience using this stuff, please take a few minutes to visit the link and read the MSD. The more you know about Muriatic acid and what to do in the event of using it going south, the more prepared you will be to deal with it immediately.

Believe me, brother, if things go south, you WILL need to respond immediately!

SAFETY FIRST, GUYS!!

darkroommike
05-22-2012, 09:29 AM
Thanks, it needed to be said! Muriatic acid is a VERY strong acid. It's also know as hydrocloric acid and any one that has spent any time in a chemistry lab has learned to respect this stuff. In many ways it is less forgiving that the powder and primers we work with in our hobby.

Always wear gloves
Always wear goggles
If you splash, flood the area with lots of water right away
If you spalsh on YOU, flood the area with water and then baking soda
Get help immediately if you get it in your eyes but flood the splash first to dilute the acid

I guess it needs to be pointed out that you should have water and baking soda (the alkaline soda neutralizes the acid) handy just in case. I don't have running water back where I melt wheelweights but I have some homemade wash bottles just in case. And an eyewash kit I picked up at the drugstore.

Gigs
05-22-2012, 11:30 AM
In the concentrations it comes from the store in, it's fuming off HCL gas as well. Don't breathe that.

dualsport
05-22-2012, 11:46 AM
Thanks for the headsup. Good idea to be safe. I've worked with it in large quantities in certain concrete treatment procedures. It hurts when it gets on you. What does it do to zinc?

felix
05-22-2012, 11:47 AM
Creates zinc chloride. ... felix

Freightman
05-22-2012, 12:17 PM
You can buy the stuff at Home Depot two gal. shrink wrapped together for under $15, people use it in there hot tubs to keep the scum and mold from growing, after reading this I think I will pass and use my side cutters instead.

Springfield
05-22-2012, 12:40 PM
If I have a questionalbe hunk of metal I just drip a couple of drops on it. If it sizzles, it was a zinc anode, not a weight. Not rocket science. Or you can just drop it in your pot and when it doesn't melt you pick it out again, covered in lead and all. I'd rather test first. I used to have to dump 55 gallon drums into a water treatment machine, so a quart bottle doesn't bother me that much.

popper
05-22-2012, 03:06 PM
Fumes will do you in REAL fast - even if you get a good whiff while outside - even the swimming pool diluted stuff. You don't need a heart arrhythmia.

John in WI
05-22-2012, 10:52 PM
the other thing with acids (especially strong acids like HCl, and ESPECIALLY with strong, concentrated acids) is to always add the acid to the water.

Order is important here. The dilution gives off a great deal of heat. If you pour water into concentrated acids it can rapidly boil and a jet of acid goes skyward. Last semester someone poured some acid in one of the lab sinks, and the next guy who turned on the faucet very nearly got hit with it.

waynem34
05-23-2012, 12:29 AM
Ive used it for years soldering galvanized metal.It is nasty stuff.Be careful.Lots of water and baking soda.We had 55 gallon drum full out side the shop for dipping the work to nuetralize the acid.Just alittle muratic acid will suffice.We also used alot of ruby fluid for copper and tin.All is nasty stuff.

a.squibload
05-23-2012, 03:14 AM
Want to be safe? Use citric acid instead.
And it's cheaper!

evan price
05-23-2012, 05:20 AM
I use toilet bowl cleaner. Not as concentrated. Cheap, useful to have around, works fine for fizzing on zinc.

darkroommike
05-23-2012, 10:55 AM
Muriatic acid, the fumes will scald your lungs, the fumes plus the moisture in your lungs reconstitutes the acid in your lungs and sinuses (not good).

The reaction with zinc creates zinc chloride, water and hydrogen gas (the fizz). Hydrogen is flammable, only a little bit is generated but test outdoors.

Will try the toilet bowl cleaner from the dollar store, great idea.

evan price
05-24-2012, 05:15 AM
This is the stuff I use- you can get it anywhere- Meijer, Home Depot, Dollar Tree, WalMart, etc.
http://www.theworkscleans.com/images/toiletcleaner.gif

Great for detecting zinc, and cleaning my thunderbucket. Also works great at removing rust stains from my porcelain enameled cast iron sink and bathtub.

According to the MSDS-
http://www.instructables.com/files/orig/FHF/0TF8/GN4CZIND/FHF0TF8GN4CZIND.pdf
-it is between 15% and 25% hydrochloric acid.
A quart bottle is usually less than $2.00 out the door.