PDA

View Full Version : Encouraging shooting session

happy7
04-16-2007, 03:52 PM
A couple years ago, I purchased a Uberti Schofield in 45 Colt, since it has had a romantic place in my heart for more than 20 years. When I first bought it I tried what I had - bullets designed for a 45 auto, the Lee 230 gr Tumble lube. I tried a number of different powders and loads and accuracy was always a little dissapointing. About the best I could do was about 3 inch groups. And they did not shoot to point of aim on the fixed sights of the Schofield. I had to use considerable windage. I recently purchased Lees 250 gr RF mold for the 45 Colt and got them lubed and loaded yesterday over 5.5 grains of trailboss as a first guess. I went shooting this morning and shot the 10 circle out of several Midway pistol targets at 20 yards. The pistol is dead on at that range with this load and accurate, with groups about 1.5 inches and that with the sun in my eyes. I had to keep shooting targets to believe what I was seeing. For you experienced casters this is probably nothing unusual, but for me, since I started casting I have stuggled to get good accuracy out of my boolits and today was very pleasing. I just had to tell someone like you guys on this group that knows what it feels like.

schutzen
04-16-2007, 06:06 PM
I was in your neck of the woods last week, Horseshoe Bend. Pretty country, I saw a lot of good cattle ground and it looked like a man could purchase a few acres with enough natural backstop for a nice private range. I wish I would have had the time to try the trout fishing. If the city grows out far enough to run me out of Kentucky, I may have to check out your area.

Dale53
04-16-2007, 06:48 PM
happy7;
Congratulations on your success. You'll remember this.

I have a Cimarron single action in .44 Special and it is a MOST accurate piece. It came with a 2 lb, no creep, trigger, also. Beautiful piece and very useful.

The only complaint that I have, it has "original type" sights that make it very difficult to see. You really have to work at it to get the most out of the intrinsic accuracy. On the other hand, my Ruger Bisley Vaquero has excellent fixed sights. It has a really good sight picture.

Dale53

happy7
04-16-2007, 08:26 PM
schutzen,

The trout fishing is pretty good, especially in April. Anytime you are in the area we will have to give it a try. Although I am a pretty basic fisherman. I mean I don't fly fish or anything fancy like that.