PDA

View Full Version : Pewter from Goodwill score!

evan price
05-21-2012, 02:12 AM
Had some time to kill and was driving past this big Goodwill store on Morse Road. Seems like I'm always too busy when I go past. So I pulled in.
Wow, it was a pewter storm!
Wound up with 5-3/4 pounds of pewter for just under $20.
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa285/ragabash01/img1337461010555.jpg
A shame the sconce doesn't match the other one I have. Then I'd have a pair.
Not letting my kids have the tankards.
The one with the fish for a handle looks interesting.

Anyway, they go in the box until I need tin.

imashooter2
05-21-2012, 07:25 AM
Nice! I never see more than a piece or two when I hit the Goodwill. Of course, that may be because I buy them as they come in and they don't get a chance to build up much...

Anyway, under $3.50 a pound for tin will brighten any day. Congrats on the haul!

Lonely Raven
05-23-2012, 11:21 AM
Ugh, my Good Wills never have any Pewter. The girls that look there look at me like I'm speaking a difference language when I ask if they have a separate section for pewter.

Sasquatch-1
05-23-2012, 12:03 PM
Had some time to kill and was driving past this big Goodwill store on Morse Road. Seems like I'm always too busy when I go past. So I pulled in.
Wow, it was a pewter storm!
Wound up with 5-3/4 pounds of pewter for just under $20.
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa285/ragabash01/img1337461010555.jpg
A shame the sconce doesn't match the other one I have. Then I'd have a pair.
Not letting my kids have the tankards.
The one with the fish for a handle looks interesting.

Anyway, they go in the box until I need tin.

I just posted a picture of a tankard I just bought for a WHOLE Quarter. It looks very much like the three that look similar in your picture. Mine was made by the W & S Blackinton Co. in England and has a date of Christmas 1970 engraved on the front. So it is at least 41 years old.

birdadly
05-23-2012, 04:12 PM
I decided to pass on two pieces at a Goodwill recently. They were sugar or creamer type pieces, $2.00 each... it didn't feel like they weighed very much. I need to work on getting that feeling of how much light things weigh :) -Brad

gbrown
05-23-2012, 08:40 PM
Just where you are and what's available. Sometimes I get it and sometimes it's not there. I bought a frame that I thought was pewter, but testing it turned up ZINC???. .99 cents, not biggie. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

jsizemore
05-23-2012, 08:58 PM
Ugh, my Good Wills never have any Pewter. The girls that look there look at me like I'm speaking a difference language when I ask if they have a separate section for pewter.

I said pewter at one thrift shop and the girl said they had 1 desktop but no laptops.

bumpo628
05-23-2012, 09:56 PM
I said pewter at one thrift shop and the girl said they had 1 desktop but no laptops.

Ono she di'int!

a.squibload
05-24-2012, 03:52 AM
Last week at the ARC Thrift Store I passed on a couple of, well, they looked like
spittoons. $5 each. Medallions on the side.
Found a couple of candlesticks (I know, weighted with donkey glue) and a cup,
pretty cheap, figured I was kinda making a donation anyway.
They were half off!
So I went back to get the spittoons, oops, only pink labels are half off.
I'll go back in a couple of weeks, nobody's gonna buy those dog club awards...

imashooter2
05-24-2012, 06:33 AM
I decided to pass on two pieces at a Goodwill recently. They were sugar or creamer type pieces, $2.00 each... it didn't feel like they weighed very much. I need to work on getting that feeling of how much light things weigh :) -Brad

Probably under half a pound for the pair. That would still be below market for tin, but I try to keep my scrap pewter under $5 a pound. I walk away from half the pewter I find because it is priced out of that range.

Sasquatch-1
05-24-2012, 07:40 AM
Went to a local auction house yesterday while making my rounds. I find that I hate those places. It seems people know what they have and price it accordingly. They had lots of pewter in the place but at the prices it would have been $10.00 to $20.00 a pound, if not more. I almost took my candle stick, I had just bought, in to see what the guy would give me. Ended up leaving it in the truck.