PDA

View Full Version : 44 Special Wadcutter?

palmettosunshine
05-20-2012, 11:53 PM
Hello everyone. Forgive me if I missed this topic while searching but I couldn't find much info about what I'm attempting to do.

While loading some 200gr RNFP (straight WW) tonight with 4.7gr of Trailboss I had an idea. What if I turned that bullet over and made it a wadcutter? So of course I did and now I'm wondering if I am crazy, an evil genius or just plain stupid.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated before I go to the range.

Oh, and BTW, I load to 1.439 and I'm crimping using a Lee Loader. I have the 3 die carbide set for my hand press but I don't have the factory crimp die so I use the Lee Loader to crimp.

Let me know what you all think. [smilie=6:

shotman
05-20-2012, 11:58 PM
they work If you dont drive fast. TB is ok .. Many done that with a 30-30 for swamp use .
they are not good past 25 or so yds . as boolit will tumble

94Doug
05-21-2012, 12:09 AM
have you tried the 429348 or equiv.?

Doug

MT Gianni
05-21-2012, 09:51 AM
There can be some problems with bevel based bullets besides lubing them. They generally show up with long range accuracy. For 50 yards and under thay should be unnoticible.

gwpercle
05-21-2012, 01:12 PM
WHO KNOW'S....shoot em and let us know how it works out. The only thing you did was create a large bevel on the base so it's not a dangerous condition .
I have found bevel bases do not aid accuracy, but these bad boy's just may give you one hole groups at close range, you just never know till you try it.

Lizard333
05-21-2012, 03:21 PM
Interesting..... Let us know how they shoot!

TCLouis
05-21-2012, 10:39 PM
That should be a Boattail boolit

bobthenailer
05-22-2012, 10:29 AM
Ive shot quite abit of swc seated upside down with just a little sticking out of the case , with excellent short range accuracy and low noise level for quite loads at about 4 to 5 hundred fps in 38 special case & 1.5 gr of BE to start ,check to make sure they clear the barrel if the barrel is longer than 3 inches , you may have to increase the powder charge slightly.

EDK
05-24-2012, 01:32 AM
Why not get a real wadcutter mould for your 44...NOE had them a few days ago in VENDOR/SPONSOR SALES. I don't have one of them yet...got a LEE group buy 200 grain from GLL, Blammer's clone of 429352, and the MI-HEC hollow base cramer style...but I'm getting tempted to buy the mould. LEE formerly had a 200 grain wadcutter mould too, but you are not likely to find one.

Big bore wadcutters are addictive...and you can freak out the shooting range commandos with those big square holes in your targets. One of my co-workers had me cast up some wadcutters for his SUPER RED HAWK...went to his favorite indoor range and started shooting. He said he was getting "the eye" and some people figured he would shoot "gangsta style," but instead shot a good group...and made some large confetti on the floor.

:redneck::cbpour::2gunsfiring_v1:

Moonie
05-25-2012, 12:43 PM
Accurate Molds also has some, in fact there is some mold pr0n floating around on this site of an Accurate Molds .430 WC in brass, beautiful mold.

straightwall
05-25-2012, 12:53 PM
I love the 44 special. Will have to find a WC mold.