PDA

View Full Version : The French 7.5x54 cartridge and where did all those French milsurps go?

Linstrum
07-05-2005, 02:25 PM
I don’t hear about the French MAS 36, MAS 49, and their variants anymore. In 1997 up to about 2000 it seems that these were hot items on the various milsurp boards. I guess the supply of these rifles was not nearly as big as the Com Bloc Mosin-Nagants, which of course makes sense because France did not control, influence, or have any big armies in half of the world, and their rifles also did not play any big role in the downfall of Nazi Germany and later in the Cold War era. Vietnam was the exception, but that was still small potatoes to what it eventually turned into. In fact, after the 1940 Dunkirk Evacuation, the German military took over production of the MAS factory and they issued the MAS 36 rifles to the German equivalent of the coast guard. Those rifles had a swastika stamped on them and get a premium price from collectors.

I was over at Gunboards checking out their French “connection” to see what kind of action has been going on lately with these rifles and it seems that now that they are gone, shooting enthusiasts are starting to wake up to the fact that they are good shooters. Now that the prices are way up they are suddenly desirable. Anyone in marketing will tell you that if the price of something really good is too low that it won’t sell! I remember getting queries to some posts that I wrote six or seven years ago from guys who would ask me what was so horribly bad with these rifles so the price was so low. My response was that I asked them in turn what was so horribly wrong with the ’03-A3 rifles that the CMP-NRA sold back in the early 1950s so the price for them was so low! According to a few posts I just read over at Gunboards, un-issued MAS 36s and 36/51s that used to go asking for buyers at $50 are now scarce and command $200. The 49 and 49/56 autoloaders are going for as much as $475 if a seller can be found. Or so they say. Around five years ago down in the Greater Los Angeles area, I seem to recall that Turners was selling MAS 49/56 .308 Win converts for about $200 (hey Dpty Al, was that about what they went for?). I thought about getting one, but my lack of finances at the time kind of got in the way. But for $50 each, I did get two MAS 36 bolt actions that were still in cheesecloth and Cosmoline, though. One is the second most accurate rifle I own. The other’s accuracy is worth just about what I paid for it, if that much, and it is a candidate to do what Buckshot did with his MAS 36 and make a .45-70 out of it.

The MAS 36 probably holds the world record for being the ugliest bolt rifle ever mass-produced! But it is a robust design that in France has been converted to a supposedly powerful sporting cartridge they call the “7.54mm”, but I’ve never heard of that before so don’t really know what it is. Another common MAS 36 convert is the potent 8x60S, so that one gives an idea of what the MAS 36 action will handle.

This last weekend I experimented with some new loads for my MAS 36. In its military configuration the 7.5x54 French cartridge was originally loaded with a 139-grain Spitzer to a velocity of somewhere around 2650 fps or ~ 810 meters per second. In the May/June, 1990 issue of Handloader Magazine (with a brief recap in the November-December issue) there is a comprehensive article on reloading for the MAS 36 that also includes a few brief comments about the MAS 49 and 49/56 autoloader as well. This article is where I got all my initial information on how to reload for the rifle. The cartridge capacity and shape are identical to the 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser necked up to take a 0.308-inch diameter projectile, and that is the parent cartridge I use for my loads. I have used Remington, Federal, Winchester, and Lapua 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser brass with equal success. The Swede cartridge is simply run into a 7.5x54 French full-length die and that is it! No trimming, no neck turning, nothing more! Resize, prime, load, shoot. That’s it. They can also be fire-formed with 7-grains of Red Dot with one square of folded toilet tissue over it and then topped off with grits or Cream Of Wheat, but doing it that way wastes a primer and reduces case life by one reload. For loads I use 7.65x53 Mauser loading data since those two cartridges are extremely close in shape, dimension, and capacity. Another one commonly used for 7.5x54 French load data is the .30-40 Krag since that cartridge is also pretty close in shape, dimension, and capacity. However, the Krag loads are much more conservative than the 7.65 Mauser. The neat thing about the French 7.5x54 cartridge and the rifles that use it, is that it uses a true 0.308” diameter projectile and the bore has a true 0.308” groove diameter, despite its 7.5 mm designation. This is a departure from the other European rifles and cartridges that are “fat .30s”.

For my serious boolit loads I use the Lee .309” 180-grain and 113-grain plinker in plain wheel weights and lubed with Lee Liquid Alox or FWFL. For other loads I use some old Sierra 150-grain Game Kings I have had kicking around for almost 20 years, U.S. military surplus147-grain fmjbt, and some U.S. military surplus 136-grain hollow base bullet jackets salvaged from the manufacture of illuminated projectiles. The 136-grain ones do not contain any illuminating compound and are of course inert. For the MAS 36, the barrel is 22.6-inches long and the rifling twist rate is 1 turn in 10.7 inches, so it is about half way between the 10 and 12-inch twists commonly used for other 0.308-inch bore rifles. Powders used are everything listed in my loading manuals for the 7.65 Mauser and Krag, along with full case compressed loads of WC860/WC870/WC872 that also have 4-grains of IMR4198 held captive against the flash hole for a booster. I also just found that my particular lot of surplus IMR7383 burns clean with the 147-grain fmjbt’s and 136-grain hollow base jackets. I use 39-grains of the IMR7383 with the 147-grain military fmjbt’s and 41.4-grains with the 136-grain hollow base jackets. I tried running the IMR7383 charges up higher above these loads but I started to get pressure signs and backed them down about 10% to be safe since IMR7383 is cranky stuff when pushed. The temperature when I did the IMR7383 loads was up around 85° F, so backed off where they are now they are probably okay even on hot days. I haven’t had an opportunity to test any of these loads for accuracy, yet, but I probably will in a few days. According to the Handloader article, the best powder for accuracy was Accurate Arms 2520 with IMR4350 and Winchester W760 close to it. The worst were IMR4064 and Reloader 7. I have a hunch that H380 and will also work well. Even though the cartridge is just slightly longer than the 7.62 NATO/.308 Win the load data does not translate well from that cartridge, except for helping determine what is a safe maximum load. However, the 7.65x53 is very close and it does translate quite well.

If anybody else has any thoughts, ideas, or load data on the French 7.5x54 cartridge, or the rifles that used it, I'd like to see it!

StarMetal
07-05-2005, 02:49 PM
When I lived in Ohio I had my FFL and one of my friends wanted one of the French bolt rifles. We ordered it and it came through almost unissued, very fine shape indeed. At that time, this was about 10 years ago, there was zero ammo for it. I remember that a few years later military ammos started showing up for it. That was too late as I had already figured out very quickly that the 6.5x55 was exactly the same except for bullet diameter and we too went that route. You're right about them drying up. I believe, if I'm not mistaking, that Buckshot has one of the French bolt rifles converted to another caliber, I want to say 45-70. They are a rear locking bolt..correct?

Joe

grumble
07-05-2005, 03:35 PM
Linstrum, I sure wish you had posted that fine article on the MAS guns 5 years ago. I had just gotten my C&R and was itching to buy lots of cheap milsurps. Buckshot had commented on converting his MAS 36 to 45-70, but that was about all I could find out about the guns. Somebody or another had them on sale for about $50, and GPC had just gotten a shipment of them and unchambered 45-70 barrels. I was all het up to get several of them, but couldn't find any info about them -- now I know I just didn't know where to look, but back then, it scared me off the project. So I started buying Mausers and different barrels instead.

Ahh, how many times have I thought, "if I just knew then what I know now..."

crazy mark
07-05-2005, 10:38 PM
Having a Mas 36 and a 49/56, I shoot a lot of cast boolits in them. Some of my best shooting loads are using IMR 4198 and H 4831 with 150-165 gr boolits. I have shot them up to 2200 FPS with 2" groups at 100 yds. I bought both of these rifles about 5 years ago and enjoy shooting them. The 36 shot to the left however and I had to remove the front sight and grind some of the side off the sight so I could move it to get it to hit on target. I do kick myself for not buying another 49/56. I did buy about 200 brass from Grafs and I have about 500 6.5 brass reformed so I'm in good shape there. They are more cast friendly than some of my Mosins. Mark

Linstrum
07-06-2005, 10:28 AM
Hi, Guys, thanks for answering! How ya doin’?

Joe, you remember correctly, the MAS 36 does have a rear-locking bolt. Buckshot made his MAS 36 into a .45-70. The action is probably strong enough so he could have made it into a Marlin .450. Maybe even a .458 Winmag. What ever happened to the MAS 36 you guys were shooting back then?

Well, Grumble, join the club with us others who kick themselves for years for not getting something when the getting was good. In that club, you will be in good company, for sure! When I first saw them, there was no information around to find out if they were any good, which I guess is the same exact thing you ran across, and I almost didn’t get one, either. But I looked one over and opened the action to get an idea of the cartridge size and I figured that I could probably do something with it. At the very least it would be as good as an old worn out .30-30, and where could I get even a junker of a thutty-thutty for $50? I finally did get some information on the French 7.5x54 from the owner of the reloading supply store I patronized, who Xeroxed a copy of a reloading article out of his Handloader Magazine library. After buying some French dies and 6.5 Swede brass from him, then firing about twenty rounds of mixed loads through it that all landed fairly close to where I wanted them to, I decided to go back and get another rifle. Unfortunately, the other one is just one of those mediocre five shots into a dinner plate at 100 yards rifles. I could have saved the $50 plus background fees to apply toward the purchase of one of those Mausers! Or another Mosin-Nagant. No reloader ever has enough Mausers or Mosins! Or Enfields, or - - - ?

Hey, Crazy Mark, I haven’t tried any IMR4198 for a main load, yet, but I am going to here shortly, with a 147-grain U.S. military fmjbt. For the MAS 36, I have found that slightly compressed loads with powders like WC860 in conjunction with about 4 grains of a fast to medium extruded rifle powder like IMR4198 are pretty good with cast. One load I enjoy a lot that I didn’t mention is using .311 cal 45-grain round balls with 3 or 4 grains of Red Dot or Unique for a “backyard” plinker. When it is really cold or raining I use that load to shoot out of my bathroom window 100 feet to a phone book target set up in front of a backup stump. Because the round ball has very little “air grip” while in flight, it doesn’t deviate as much from a straight line as a really long bullet with a great deal of bearing surface does. As a result the sighting needs to be offset to the side a little, and in my rifles with peep sights I take a paper clip and make a temporary offset front sight instead of readjusting the sights, which as you have already found can be a real b!+ch in the MAS 36. For the 49/56, I ran across an article about making the gas system adjustable so various loads can be used without fear of damaging the operating system or tearing the rims off of cases if too strong a load is ever used. See:
http://www.jpfo.org/masrifle.htm

Take care!

StarMetal
07-06-2005, 10:31 AM
Linstrum

My friend still has his I believe. Now that you mention it I may give him a call and see if he wants to sell it.

Joe

jethrow strait
07-06-2005, 11:42 AM
Well, I just got rid of a Mas 36 to a buddy for next to nothing(traded for an old Oehler chronograph which seemed a lot more substantial than my Chrony). Being atuned to Blue Book prices, he showed me how the value of em had gone up in the last year or two, but I was just happy with the prospect of a fellow shooter who actually got past their 'uglyness" and enjoyed shooting them, since I had two, and lots of spare parts.

Two features that have not been mentioned so far in this thread, that make the Mas 36 a congenial cast boolit shooter, are the issue aperture rear sight and the Land diameter of the bores. While the grooves of close to .308" are convenient, the .296-.298" lands make the majority of Lee moulds, with their sub.300" nose diameters regardless of alloy, useful again! Must say, that thought was in the back of my mind when I recently picked up a 7.5 Swiss K31 as well.-----------------jethrow

Herb in Pa
07-07-2005, 01:26 PM
Anyone interested in an MAS 36 or a 49/56 PM me. I've also got the KVar mount for the 49/56, virgin Graff brass and RCBS dies.

Buckshot
07-08-2005, 01:53 AM
............Yup for quite awile the MAS36's were pretty inexpensive. Even though there weren't as many of them as say the Mosin-Nagants and the SMLE's their sales were fairly sluggish. I don't recall is it was Century but some outfit was doing sporter conversions. Since the issue rifle didn't have a safety, these sporters had one added to them. It was a sliding affair which merely interposed a piece of metal into the trigger mechanism to tie it up.

The only reason I bought the MAS36 I did, was because it was so cheap at the time. Even came with a French military (luckily it had pictures) booklet which was given to recruits I guess, on it's parts, operation and disassembly.

The udea to convert it to 45-70 had to do with reading a couple "Rifle" magazine articles. One was converting the SMLE to 45-90 and the other was a SMLE conversion to .444 Marlin. Since the MAS36 locked up at the rear as did the British rifles, which placed the breechface conveniently close to the magazine, it seemed a natural. And so it was.

.............Buckshot

KCSO
07-08-2005, 01:15 PM
In 98/99 I was selling these in like new condition out the door for $79.95 with acessories. Used but functional they went for $49.00 I milled the tops off of a couple and put on scopes and Century was converting them to 308 (Bad Idea) when Century ran out they dried up and I don't see them any more. I made quite a few sliding safteys for these and may still have a pattern for it. DeHaas thought that the basic action was a good one, but recommended that no ctg over 45,000 be used.

Old Schmuck
12-22-2005, 01:40 AM
Hi,

I know this tread is a few month old but I think the info is worth it.
The way to adjust a MAS 36 "by the book" is to replace the blade of the rear sight. The French call it a planchette .The complete set is made of 25 of them but most of the time, you need one or two if you 're able to give the gunsmith a precise description of where you shoot.
After scrapping for years these guns when they were not selling them abroad, the French authorities have started to sell them to French shooters and there is now a national championship open to the old service guns. It gives a lot of work to the local gunsmiths since most of these guns must be rechambered to comply to the law. 7-08, 300 Savage and 30-284 are the most common . You can order the planchettes from one of these gunsmiths.
If you decide to work on the front sight, apply some heat first because they hold in place with tin.

KCSO
12-22-2005, 05:40 PM
This weekend I talked to a friend who bought these when they were cheap. He was telling me he still had 13 of the semi auto's and 12 of the bolt guns. He paid an average of $249 for the semi's from Federal Arms and had an average of 65.00 in the bolt guns. The semi's came with cleaning kits bayonet and 5 magazines. He shoots the semi's all the time and loves them. I just ordered him some brass for relaoding. I had a bolt gun that I added a safety to and milled off for a scope and the gun was an excellent shooter, I wish I had kept it. I just happened to have my books here and I sold 46 M36's and 21 M49's in a one year period and I haven't seen ONE in in the last year.

StarMetal
12-22-2005, 05:43 PM
Jim,

They just seemed to dry up after a spree of them on the market. I had my FFL then and got my friend one, an unissued or re-arsenaled bolt rifle, and it was $100 something, don't remember. At that time I didn't think much of them, boy what a mistake. Fine rifles actually.

You got a pm.

Joe

Dutch4122
12-22-2005, 09:13 PM
Just picked up one of the MAS 36 bolt guns in the original 7.5x54 chambering a few months back. Needless to say they're not going for $65 to a $100 something anymore in these parts.

Oh well, just glad I got my hands on one. Ya never lose money til ya sell 'em anyway!

Teach
01-04-2006, 11:15 PM
The phrase "never fired, only dropped once" comes to mind. No wonder the rifles looked new, it's unlikely they saw any combat at all!
Jerry

Dutch4122
01-05-2006, 08:44 PM
No sir, didn't come with a white flag. Although she does have a couple of dings on the buttstock & forend obtained during surrender training and/or during the live fire surrender exercises conducted in the early 40's. :)

Seriously I don't think I did too bad on the old girl. It has the older dark stained hardwood stock and the original dark blue/black finish on all the metal. No parkerizing or brand new replacement stock found on this one. Buttplate shows some use and a couple of screws are slightly buggered. Bore is very strong (almost like new) and it has the early front site with "ears" protecting the blade.

Hoping to get her shooting this summer or by the fall after I take care of a couple of other projects.