PDA

View Full Version : VIDEO: Cutting lead with a chainsaw

Revolver
05-20-2012, 02:21 PM
As some of you know I am dealing with a sailboat keel. Many people advised to use a chainsaw, so i did. Video is below. It seems to cut much easier than I thought and didn't dull the blade as quickly as I expected.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5oz9IJ_5O0

jlm223
05-20-2012, 03:04 PM
:holysheep That's a lot of lead, good job.

GaryN
05-20-2012, 03:31 PM
The sawdust weighed 47 lbs. Hahahahaha Interesting. I wish I had a problem like that.

Jack Stanley
05-20-2012, 03:42 PM
The sawdust weighed 47 lbs. Hahahahaha Interesting. I wish I had a problem like that.

I wonder if he'll use sawdust for flux on this project [smilie=l:

Jack

Jailer
05-20-2012, 07:10 PM
Looks like that keel was giving your little saw quite a workout.

Dale53
05-20-2012, 07:30 PM
I have but one thing to say, "WOW!!"

Dale53

Alan in Vermont
05-20-2012, 08:42 PM
That cut a lot faster than I thought it would.

John in WI
05-20-2012, 09:30 PM
that's incredible! I would have never believed that would work.

Your log splitter video is pretty amazing too.

Where the heck are you getting all this lead?

kenyerian
05-20-2012, 09:43 PM
Wow!! Thanks for sharing. That's going to make a lot of Boolits

geargnasher
05-20-2012, 09:47 PM
Good job! Several of us have been recommending that method for a while, but you're the first in quite a while to try it that I know of. Kudos on the safety and containment gear.

A hint for next time: Use 5W30 synthetic oil instead of bar oil, it flows out much faster and cools the chain better, but it makes a heck of a mess and you will go through a lot of it. Much better than using a hand saw or a torch, no?

Gear

KYCaster
05-20-2012, 11:17 PM
You might try mineral spirits for a chain lube. I haven't cut any lead with a chain saw, but I know it works well with a circular saw.

Nice video....thanks.

Jerry

geargnasher
05-20-2012, 11:33 PM
You might try mineral spirits for a chain lube. I haven't cut any lead with a chain saw, but I know it works well with a circular saw.

Nice video....thanks.

Jerry

Hot exhaust blowing on the cut and sparks from the chain might make a bad day if the MS is too volatile.

Gear

David Bachelder
05-21-2012, 08:28 AM
Pretty crazy. I'd never have guessed a chainsaw would do that good a job.

Are you going to be selling any lead?

Revolver
05-21-2012, 09:02 AM
...Where the heck are you getting all this lead?

I just keep putting the word out that I'm looking. Once in awhile I get a lead (as in a clue) and I follow up on it. If you live in a coastal area, want a "big score," and don't mind working your butt off, then look for junk sailboats.

...Are you going to be selling any lead?

No, I'm still hoarding a lifetime supply for me and my kids since lead is only going to keep getting harder to find. I don't know how much that is, each time I reach a goal suddenly I feel like its not enough. Unfortunately I'm addicted to acquiring lead... but I suppose if lead, guns, and coffee are my main addictions then I'm doing OK, right? :coffee:

As far as my wife goes, I told her that as long as I get it below scrap value then we have a commodity that can be turned into cash at any time if we ever are in a pickle.

okanovicsel
06-06-2022, 09:57 AM
thanks. (https://toolsforpower.com/echo-chainsaw-cs-352-features-and-echo-chainsaw-cs-352-sale-just-for-us259-discount-price-2022/)

GregLaROCHE
06-07-2022, 07:41 AM
Good job! Don’t assume it is pure lead. Many keels had stuff added to them, so they wouldn’t dent so easily when hitting something. Let us know what hardness it is when you check it.

charlie b
06-07-2022, 09:17 AM
If that isn't a couple lifetimes of lead you must shoot a lot :)

Congrats on the method. Thickest I had to cut was 1" so used a recip saw with very coarse teeth. Worked at about the same speed. I used WD40 for lube on it, just cause it was handy, and it worked ok.

An idea if you decide to sell lead. Just keep cutting it and save it as 'sawdust'. Will fit into USPS flat rate boxes easier.

Green Frog
06-07-2022, 05:56 PM
A friend of mine used that method with pieces of a lead “wall” from some sort of medical facility. He and his son used a lot of oil and the saw threw the swarf (what somebody called “sawdust”) onto a plastic tarp as it was produced. This was also gathered up and used.

I have a steel clad lead box that probably weighs at least 500 to 1000 lb. I haven’t needed lead badly enough yet to strip off the steel and fire up the chainsaw. But I have it if and when I need it! :bigsmyl2: