PDA

View Full Version : we lost our little range today.

mpbarry1
05-19-2012, 11:54 PM
We have a private little range that is owned by a good farm family here. I was working up some loads for this little 32-20 and was looking forward to trying it out. Anyway i found out that someone had shot up his irrigation pipe and he put up a closed sign.

We have a relatively few folks that pay a "trespass fee" of 8 bucks a year. It is pretty handy for me when im working up loads or trying some changes with my guns. It is only 10 minutes away from the house. It really miffs me that someone would screw it up. I bet they arent members.

I talked w our president and he is hoping that we can make some improvements to keep out the riff raff. Hell we might have to invest in a gate and a sign! What is wrong with people!

:groner:

Czech_too
05-20-2012, 06:17 AM
The club which I belong to leases some property and this sort of vandalization, and the result you describe, is just the sort of thing I fear may happen here some day. Despite there being limited access, i.e. members only, there are still rules infractions periodically. I don't know if it's human nature or what but sometimes you just gotta shake your head. Apparantly, for some people, it asking to much to respect others property.

Stephen Cohen
05-20-2012, 06:25 AM
Seems you guys have your share of two legged vermin over there as well. Some years back we had a bunch of military guys turn up and start blasting with M60s. Our range is used by military at times so no questions were asked, as it turned out they were CMF what you guys call national guards I guess. Seemed they had stollen the guns and ammo and we wore it our range was closed for some time. I hope your case works out for you.

Isaac
05-20-2012, 07:26 AM
I once encountered a couple fellows at a local gun shop who were bragging about shooting up range supports at a local private club and poaching on private land. One of their poaching practices was to drop each other off at a piece of land, shoot the deer, then cell phone the other for a pick-up. They were speaking as if it was a sport.

After attempting a reasonable conversation to provided a bit of education it was evident that a lack of empathy seemingly caused by immaturity was the underlying factor.

I did wait around and copy their tag number which I turned over to the Dept. of Natural Resources Police.

Isaac

imashooter2
05-20-2012, 08:00 AM
I belong to a club here in the Philly suburbs. Dues are a hefty $120 a year for a single membership. It is a nice club with excellent backers, benches, covered shooting positions, etc.. We still get yahoos all the time that shoot the backer posts and blast holes in the .22 falling steel and angled steel backstop with high power rifles. Heck, the .22 range is even separate, so it's not like an instant of bad judgement. You have to drive up there and carry your center fire rifle in past all the signs. How a guy can pay $120 a year for that club and then shoot the place up is beyond me...

41 mag fan
05-20-2012, 08:57 AM
We got a public range 25mi from me that has the same thing. Lots of times, I see kids there shooting. Which is good, but it seems like kids anymore have no respect.

These "timeouts" and "talkings to" when kids are young are for the birds.
I don't go out and destroy things, and you can bet I got my butt whooped many a times in school and at home.

Little bit of discipline goes a long way in someone developing self respect as a teenager and into adulthood.

Finster101
05-20-2012, 09:03 AM
One of the few things that will get you automatically tossed out of the private range I belong to is not locking the gate behind you when you enter. Coming or going the gate stays locked. A good policy in my opinion.

James

mooman76
05-20-2012, 09:18 AM
Seems like there's always someone who screws it up for everyone else. Years ago we had some real good fishing spots. They were strip mines and it was a very large area with the best fishing around there. Most of it was leased by farmers for cattle to feed on. Everyone got along fine for the longest time but someone came along that didn't take kindly to fences and cut them down to get through so they wouldn't have to walk. This was almost 40 years ago and the land is still closed off.

hiram1
05-20-2012, 09:37 AM
That is just a part of the {its all about me thing}thay think it is cool.I like [the all about we thing myself ]

canyon-ghost
05-20-2012, 09:41 AM
Our range charges more, has gates and signs too. You may have to buy a section of irrigation pipe to make this right. Some people just like to see how much stuff they can blow up, damage or destroy with a firearm. I've had to move a lot of targets that were put up to do something that isn't allowed.

We went to a reward system for vandalism, you get paid to report them. Then installed live video cameras. Of course, you can see where you don't do that from $8 a year but, we have over 200 members.

We have the rules posted everywhere, only designated targets allowed. I still clean up a lot of oddball targets. Some idiots just like to see what their gun will mess up.

bbs70
05-20-2012, 11:00 AM
I belong to a club with dues of $100.00 a year, not bad considering places to shoot are getting harder to find.
Its a nice club it is club owned property with a gate and membership key to get in.

They WILL kick you out of the club if you get caught doing something stupid like shooting up the place.
Some people still shoot the target supports and leave junk laying around.

Some members and I have made pvc and wood target frames to be left on club property for the members use.
They are usually all shot up within a week or two.
I've even made shepards hooks from rebar to hang targets on thinking it would take a while for them to get messed up.
Wrong, they just came up missing.

It seems people just don't care.

Jim
05-20-2012, 11:07 AM
I belong to a club with dues of $100.00 a year, not bad considering places to shoot are getting harder to find.
Its a nice club it is club owned property with a gate and membership key to get in.

They WILL kick you out of the club if you get caught doing something stupid like shooting up the place. Some people still shoot the target supports and leave junk laying around.

Some members and I have made pvc and wood target frames to be left on club property for the members use. They are usually all shot up within a week or two.

I've even made shepards hooks from rebar to hang targets on thinking it would take a while for them to get messed up. Wrong, they just came up missing.

It seems people just don't care.

I find it very disappointing how immature and childish some adults will be when there's no authority around.

AndyC
05-20-2012, 11:09 AM
I had to ask a guy last weekend to leave the range that I RO at - deliberately shooting at the target hangers. When he copped an attitude about it ("Hey, I paid my fee..."), I was forced to go into my "This is the part where I talk and you listen..." thing.

If he'd simply said "I'm sorry, I wasn't aware....", he could have stayed.... too bad.

We'll see what happens today.

Finster101
05-20-2012, 11:12 AM
Just because people belong to a range doesn't mean they can shoot. I have seen plenty of target frames and supports shot and after seeing targets I know it wasn't on purpose.

James

Andy, you posted while I was typing. My comment is not directed at you or anyone else. Just pointing something out that may be overlooked.

imashooter2
05-20-2012, 11:35 AM
Just because people belong to a range doesn't mean they can shoot. I have seen plenty of target frames and supports shot and after seeing targets I know it wasn't on purpose.

James

Andy, you posted while I was typing. My comment is not directed at you or anyone else. Just pointing something out that may be overlooked.

It's pretty easy to see the difference between a poor shot that hits the supports once in a while and a yahoo that tries to cut the posts down. And poor shooting just can't explain putting holes in a farmer's irrigation pipe and / or the idiots blasting holes through our .22 steel on a separated range clearly marked for .22 only. All of those are deliberate acts of destruction.

Hardcast416taylor
05-20-2012, 01:38 PM
I was prez of a club some years back. We had a nice 200 yd. rifle range. We also had the gate and lock for members to use the range. The problem we had was people parking by the gate and walking the several hundred yds. down to the range and do their devilment. I mean shooting off 6" pine trees, bringing target trash to shoot up and leave and generally do as they pleased. Twice a week I would stop on my way home from work to check on the club and clean up after the slobs had been on the range. I would have a trash burn pile on each of the close and far berms, besides the road signs and small kitchen appliances that were shot up and left. We actually had the steel pipe gate stolen twice and lost a handful of locks, a 25 ft. 3/8" chain lasted 2 days before vanishing. I have my own range that I let very few use. A "friend" asked to use it once about 2 yrs. back. He showed up with 4 buddies and shot up my target boards and 1 or more of them shot off a 4" maple tree off to the side of the lane. Needless to say they shot and scat before I knew what they did. To this day it is even fewer "friends" that I let use my range.Robert

30calflash
05-20-2012, 01:59 PM
I've belonged t several clubs at different times and sooner or later most seem to get a rash of vandalism.

Many go with card keys that record who enters. All members are to swipe, not follow the other guy in stuff. Cameras are a deterent but cost $$ and someone has to watch the recordings.

If you don't go the secure route post a reward for those that turn in the offenders. $500 to tart. If it happens again double the reward. Then double it again. At some point the creeps are going to stop as their buddy is likely to turn them in when there is some $$$ involved.

In most cases you won't have to pay it out, the vandalism will stop.

And remember that anything downrange can and will be shot. Berms, sandbags, whatever to protect unwanted ventilation is the only way. JMHO.

geargnasher
05-20-2012, 02:02 PM
What is wrong with people in this country? An 80-something year old lady anwered my very same question once the best I've ever heard: Departure from good, Christian values.

Gear

dagger dog
05-20-2012, 02:06 PM
Our DNR finally was enabled with enough funding to put new pit toilets at the local range,and at one river acess, both on state forestry public land.

The one at the range made it exactly 1 week before vandals shot through the walls and blew the hinges and dead bolt off the door. The one at the river acess lasted a little longer about a month before it was "bulldozed" off the foundation and ran over by some BUBBA in a "monster" truck.

I will not turn my head at such deeds , I will stop anyone seen destroying private or public property, any one caught will be held (by gun point if needed) until authoritys are notified or arrive !

Finster101
05-20-2012, 02:25 PM
It's pretty easy to see the difference between a poor shot that hits the supports once in a while and a yahoo that tries to cut the posts down. And poor shooting just can't explain putting holes in a farmer's irrigation pipe and / or the idiots blasting holes through our .22 steel on a separated range clearly marked for .22 only. All of those are deliberate acts of destruction.

I wasn't trying to start an argument with you. I completely agree with you about the stupid stuff that does go on. To combat some of it our range does not supply target stands or poles. We have steel bases made that accept 1x2s provided by the member. One shot can sometimes take it out. Sorry if there was a misunderstanding. Believe me I'm on your side. The range I shoot at is club owned property with no power. Everything you bring in you take out. We have one outhouse. So far I have not seen any vandalism of the property.

You also can not shoot at the gators. :holysheep

clintsfolly
05-20-2012, 03:00 PM
I blame TV and the movies !! Bad guy shooting at good guy and bullets just skip and bounce off every thing!! Clint

DHurtig
05-20-2012, 03:09 PM
No one has yet mentioned what a serious threat to safety that these morons can be also. Our local public range has a natural shale embankment for a back stop. There are benches at 100 yards, one at 200 and one at 300.

Several years ago I was shooting from the 100 yard bench when another vehicle pulled up. A guy who looked to be in his 40's and a teenage boy and girl got out and set up on the bench to my left. I took a break while they went down range and set up their targets. When they were finished, we all began shooting. I settled back into my routine and they went about their business. After sometime had passed, I heard a shot behind us. I looked to the left and the boy was gone. I looked behind me and the boy had a rifle set up at the 200 yard bench.

I looked back at the man to my left and asked, " Did he just send a bullet between us?" The guy said, " Yeah, why?" I then told him that " Maybe you had better go talk to him, because if it happens again, we are going to need a podiatrist and a proctologist to get my boot out of his A$$!!!"

He walked back and spoke briefly with the young man. They proceeded to gather their things and make a hasty exit. Dale

Haggway
05-20-2012, 03:21 PM
This seems to be a problem everywhere. I left one range membership behind, because I was tired of the people going through with their 4 wheelers and big trucks. We were on the line one day when there was the rummble and bubba was driving his truck out of the woods into our 200 yard lane. He claimed he never heard the shots or saw the the bright orange signs warning him. I let that membership lapse and found another range after that. here was also the usual of idiots shooting anything and everything. We even found what was left of a propane tank and the damage it caused.

cephas53
05-20-2012, 03:47 PM
I have a small private range on my place. Nothing fancy but good 25, 50 and 100 yd targets. Nice bench that I store sand bags underneath in ammo cans. Was very open to locals and friends to use. A place where fathers could bring their kids and have the place to themselves. Some friend of a cousin of a local a mile or so away from me tried to run a good friend and his son off one day. Needless to say it's very private now.

mpbarry1
05-20-2012, 04:42 PM
:!:we are pretty sheltered here for the most part. It was an open gate with a small sign that said private range. There is no power, no outhouse, and no garbage can. it is just a little spot with two benches and a 200 yard shooting range. so, it is really unfortuante that it has come to this, but I guess we should have known. Next thing you know, we'll have to start taking our keys out of cars and locking our doors!

missionary5155
05-20-2012, 07:11 PM
Greetings
The Danville Rifle Pistol Club ILLinois installed a camera system that works off movement. As soon as anyone enters and moves about their photo is taken and numerous times later with time recorded on each frame. Also end up with car liscense number. Any problems and we have a documented record who was there. With a number of police as members it does not take long to have results. Get caught breaking cleary defined rules and you are history. All new members go through a range orientation which clearly teaches the opperating procedures.
I have been a member since 1982 and am happy with what we have. 2 more weeks and I am back up there.
Mike in Peru

3006guns
05-21-2012, 02:36 PM
You know, after reading these posts I just realized how fortunate I am.......especially in this state. When I lived in the S.F. Bay area back in the 60's and 70's I used the Coyote Point range almost constantly all through high school. I returned to the area for a visit not long ago and it's closed to high power rifle.....22's only.

Our little local club has a dedicated pistol range along with dedicated100,200 and 300 yard rifle ranges...not fancy but solid. Entrance is through a locked gate whose combination is changed once a year, with only paid members receiving the new one. Keeping the place reasonably tidy is purely up to a member's level of maturity and frankly, it stays pretty clean. It has a concrete block meeting room/restrooms and plenty of parking. All in all a pretty nice setup for fifty bucks a year.

Whats a little unusual is that during the week it's virtually abandoned. I think sometimes I'm the only member...unless the local police department is there for qualifications. Weekends are a different matter, with a crammed parking lot and all firing positions taken.

bbs70
05-21-2012, 03:29 PM
I belong to a members only shooting range.
Was there yesterday and got to talking to a couple of guys I know from there.
From what I was told it seems the county police who practice there don't think the rules apply to them.

We have a 25 yard range for 22 and hand gun only, no high power, because of berm damage.
There are signs all over stating this.
There is a dividing berm seperating this range from the high power range.
The high power side has 50, 100, 125, 200 yard berms.

No 50 BMG or full auto weapons allowed on the property because of houses nearby.
Seems the county police , who train there once a month, had full auto weapons out.
And at least one was caught firing an AR at the 25 yard range, when asked if he had read the sign he said he had only 40 rounds and he would be done.

I can kind of understand the full auto with the police, but for safety sake with houses near (Within 1/2 mile) I think they should not do it.
None of the police are members of the range, they shoot there as a courtesy, so they should respect the range rules.IMO

GREENCOUNTYPETE
05-21-2012, 05:31 PM
our 22 silhouette stands have been shot up by high power also , we are working on replacing them now our solution is removable stands , it is sad but it seems the best way to keep nice stands is to not leave them on the range when we are not watching it.

it is probably only a dozen shots a year that hit the 22 silhouette stands with the notices and such that are up about them but that is all it takes to tear them up

we do not provide target stands anymore either , kind of a pain but i built a target stand that fits in the back of my van and i bring it every time , amazingly it has hundreds of rounds in it and the supports are still standing with no holes , even rapid fire pistol practice

we also have no power , no water a few storage sheds , 1 out house , the covered firing line , besides people carrying rocks out onto the range and then busting them up by shooting at them we don't seem to have much vandalism , there is just something about people getting bored with the targets they brought and start shooting target stands

canyon-ghost
05-21-2012, 09:59 PM
Our target stands are a solid rail, as in railroad rail! It has an angled front plate to keep the bullets deflected downward. We do still have trouble with highpowered rifles shooting up the pistol silhouettes.

Offer a $500 reward for vandalism reporting, see what happens.

madman
05-23-2012, 05:20 PM
It is the same here. Several counties have started to limit shooting and now have Officers patrolling to give you tickets. There are just to many bone heads here that think they can do any thing they want. You shoud see the way they used to treat the fish and Game people here until they were armed and given arrest rights. The crime rate just in our local neighborhoods is out of control. I reported a crime and the Officer that called (would not even come over to talk face to face) said that he would not even write it in his log book, that it was here say, I told him that I would testify and sign the complaint he said that he still would not make a report. Well To make a long story short A girl was raped and robbed because the Unified Police would not do anything. I was warned by the Officer to do nothing. That I could get in trouble for doing so.

madman
08-08-2012, 04:37 PM
Shooting in our area has been banned on private and public land. The fire danger is so high. There were several fires that the Gov said were started by target shooters and the news media has been playing it over and over on TV.

10x
08-08-2012, 09:27 PM
Several game cameras will tell who is doing the vandalism.
I have a couple in my yard and I find out who is walking through my yard at night as well.
I also have a couple inside my home that get turned on when I leave.

Lance Boyle
08-08-2012, 10:08 PM
I find it very disappointing how immature and childish some adults will be when there's no authority around.

yep, sometimes it's shocking when you actually find out who the vandals really are.

-common in clubs for non members to get directions to the club from one of the gunshop owners, they go over and see no one around and shoot things up
-other common thing I saw in one club is decent adult members 45-50 years old
who always brought their kids. Next thing ya know the kids coming on his own and doing all the fouled up things we're talking about; shooting up target frames for fun, blasting the .22 silhouette targets with big bore guns wrecking them, shooting the signs, benches and stools, the shed roof, the mailbox on each range with the member sign in log, oh yeah, they don't sign that as required. One of the worst things is setting junk/targets in the middle of the range no where near where a backstop would catch it, shooting on the flat ground and skipping rounds off to the range's neighbors. Now the club has issues like the OP and has to worry about getting shut down.
-on occasion I've seen the 40-50 something lout do just as much stupid stuff as the kids. Got a new toy like an AR or AK and they start shooting up the range equipment instead of putting up targets. I've got nothing against those rifles, heck I have an AR myself.

Sad at the lack of discipline and self control in some folks.

I've yet to belong to a club that only shoots with a range master on duty. I can see why some clubs have to have that but it is irksome. I most often just go to the police range at work where I'm left alone without idiots.

Blacksmith
08-08-2012, 11:38 PM
Last week our range, locked gate entrance, had three guys blasting away at 9:00 PM, when it was too dark to even see the berm. Turns out one was a member, now former member, and two of his budies. Got to catch them and do something but no doubt they will just go somewhere else and do similar things to mess up other peoples ranges.

bruce drake
08-09-2012, 12:10 AM
I belong to a members only shooting range.
Was there yesterday and got to talking to a couple of guys I know from there.
From what I was told it seems the county police who practice there don't think the rules apply to them.

We have a 25 yard range for 22 and hand gun only, no high power, because of berm damage.
There are signs all over stating this.
There is a dividing berm seperating this range from the high power range.
The high power side has 50, 100, 125, 200 yard berms.

No 50 BMG or full auto weapons allowed on the property because of houses nearby.
Seems the county police , who train there once a month, had full auto weapons out.
And at least one was caught firing an AR at the 25 yard range, when asked if he had read the sign he said he had only 40 rounds and he would be done.

I can kind of understand the full auto with the police, but for safety sake with houses near (Within 1/2 mile) I think they should not do it.
None of the police are members of the range, they shoot there as a courtesy, so they should respect the range rules.IMO

Send a note to the County Sheriff with a bill for repairs to the berm along with a polite note that future issues like this will close their access to the club. If you got the Deputy's name, I'd add that to the note as well, as he's the reason for the bill in the first place.

Bruce

bob208
08-09-2012, 06:45 AM
same problems everywhere. my club wanted to have a covered firing line. i was tearing down a building so i donated the tin from the roof to the club even hauled it to the club. they started putting it up got half up was going to finish the next sat. came back roof shot up even the plie of tin shot up. 5 years later they got a new roof. i was there last week the new roof has holes in it.

i helped put up many target boards only to come out a week later to see 6x6 posts shot off. i have hauled truck loads of trash away. 1 gal. paint cans and barrel lids seem tobe the favorite.

i have said it before and will say it again. shooters are their own worst enemies.

smokeywolf
08-09-2012, 08:05 AM
Idiots beget idiots! And unfortunately, idiots tend to multiply in greater quantities than rational, intelligent, and respectful people.
Not knocking big families. Its just that idiots don't care or don't think about whether they can afford to feed, clothe, and educate the next child.

smokeywolf