PDA

View Full Version : Biodiesel in old tractors

Thumbcocker
05-19-2012, 09:39 PM
Last year I posted about problems in my Dads Oliver55 when he ran bio fuel in it. With an overhaul and new fuel tank "Ollie" is running like new. The mechanic said no more bio fuel, alge etc. problem is all local fuel is at least 10 percent bio. Suggestions welcome. Additives?

GREENCOUNTYPETE
05-19-2012, 10:29 PM
home heating oil , get the co-op to drop it off in a barrel

they don't put bio in it because they systems are old and not ready for bio ask , but they don't around here

it is also still the higher sulfur I believe

Iowa Fox
05-20-2012, 12:23 AM
Lots of problems in the new stuff also. Before I retired in 2010 I saw lots of problems in Il. The pumping engine at Cordova is a prime example, the fuel companies just dummy up when their fuels cause problems.

Bret4207
05-20-2012, 07:55 AM
Try www.ytmag.com Lots of guys using older stuff there that have a fair handle on the way to get things working. It's sort of being taken over more and more by guys who have never had poop on their shoes, but there are still lots of farmers there.

pmer
05-20-2012, 11:47 AM
I've read that diesel fuel stays good for about 12 months if kept around 68* and less if the temperature is higher. Then somehow solids and gums come out of suspension and the fuel filter gets clogged.

If all you can get is biodiesel I wonder if you can use a bigger filter or add to the filtration system. I'm not a diesel expert but have a couple diesels and allways try to use fuel addatives to help break up any water that gets in.

Last time I changed the fuel filter on my '87 Ford with the 6.9L diesel I filled the filter with Diesel 911 and that seemed to wake up the engine a little. I suppose it cleaned the injectors better compared to being added to the tank? I used 10 weight before that. This truck is set up for the old high sulfur diesel so you should check with your mechanic before the try that if you have something newer.

I haven't had any trouble using http://www.howeslube.com/overview.php the first one with the yellow label.

lcclower
05-20-2012, 12:01 PM
Part of it depends on your injector pump, if you have Autodyne or similar (I.H>, older FOrd trucks) with a plastic flex ring, use no additives other than 10% gasoline when it's cold.
If your injector pump and injectors don't have plastic parts try 1/2 pint toluene per tank, that;s supposed to kill any bugs in the fuel and makes it stay a litle thinner.
Another possibility, if you're close to an executive type airport, there's a line of anti-bio additives that go in jet fuel. Apparently Gulfstream II's don't like a little green in their kerosene.
If you start with glow plugs, all bets are off. Especially treating diesel for cold weather with gasoline.

pipehand
05-20-2012, 07:30 PM
The first tank or so of biodiesel may require a filter change, because methyl fatty acid esters(biodiesel) is such a good solvent and will clean out any crud in the lines. Also, it is not as compatible with some older injection pump seals. Those seals were protected but the lubricating properties of the sulfur, that new fuel doesn't have, and they may be degraded by the bio. New nitrile seals and fuel system hoses stand up to Bio.
BTW, biodiesel made from virgin soybean oil is just as much a scam as ethanol made from grain--a net energy loss that boosts commodity prices.

Mal Paso
05-20-2012, 09:37 PM
I had to rebuild the injector pump on a Diesel Generator 17 years ago when California decided we needed "special" fuel. I replaced all the seals with ones made of Viton. It will take solvents and abrasion the old Buna-N won't. If the replacement parts on your tractor were made in the last 15 years I'll bet they take biodiesel fine.

After the first tank of unleaded in my old Ford 4X the engine quit. All the varnish in the tank had become Gasoline Jello in my fuel filter. I was miles from nowhere on Hwy 1, the carburetor is a pig with no small holes so I dumped the filter in a bucket, put the filter housing back on and kept driving.

Thumbcocker
05-21-2012, 06:20 PM
The pump was not rebuilt in the overhaul.

Reload3006
05-22-2012, 08:30 AM
I put a bottle of Marvel mystery oil every month in my fuel it does a really good job of keeping things clean. I would imagine that the BIO is just a little gummy and the marvel will clean that out.

Mal Paso
05-22-2012, 09:27 AM
The pump was not rebuilt in the overhaul.

+1 For heating oil if They haven't messed with that.

The tractor Must Be Saved no matter how many Environmentholes have to be sacrificed.