PDA

View Full Version : First Ever Bullet casting for me!!!

Powellcole5490
05-19-2012, 04:32 PM
So I finally took the plunge and started casting. I didn't cast too many of them because I would cast a bunch and then realize my pot was too hot or something and dump them back in and start over. But it was a lot of fun. And looking at the way my bullets look now compared to what they looked like when I first started was amazing. I did realize why many people build a PID controller. I figured out my bullets were looking best when the temp was alittle less than 650 degrees. But as I kept casting and casting I noticed the temp in the pot had risen to voer 700 degrees causing my bullets to look cloudy. So I may be looking into a PID controller. Plus I want to use one on my star sizer. Anyway attached is a picutre of some of my bullets with a bullet one of my friends did (it's obviously the one with the gas check and lube). The bullet on the left is when my temp rose to 700 degrees. I think I am going to run to HD and pick up some lead free solder to add some tin to the mix. Some of my bullets' bases are more rounded than squared off so I want to see if adding tin will help. Let me know what you think! Thanks

kbstenberg
05-19-2012, 04:44 PM
Powellcole Welcome aboard. You are starting on the gurney of your life. Strap your self in good.
The "cloudy" bullet isn't a problem, and its not having too hot of an alloy. It is what we call frosted. It shows that the bullet was formed on the high side temperature wise. But not from the alloy. The mold you were using was on the high side temperature wise. If you like your bullets shinier slow the casting pace down, to drop the temperature of the mold.
Kevin

10mmShooter
05-19-2012, 04:57 PM
nothing wrong with frosty bullets :) They look great and shoot just as good

sig2009
05-19-2012, 06:31 PM
nothing wrong with frosty bullets :) They look great and shoot just as good

I remelt any frosted bullets I cast. To me and my experience Frosted=Not Filled Out!

John in WI
05-19-2012, 09:03 PM
Watch out--I got addicted to casting boolits in a very short time!

What are you casting there? They look similar to my Lee 158gr .38's. I'm having some really good luck them. I use a real cheapo "high tech" lube. Just a block of paraffin, a toilet ring, a half jar of petroleum jelly, and a squirt of STP oil treatment melted together. (smoky--not for the indoor range!)

Fixxah
05-19-2012, 09:09 PM
I remelt any frosted bullets I cast. To me and my experience Frosted=Not Filled Out!
Seriously?

arcticbreeze
05-19-2012, 09:24 PM
Powellcole5490 I think those boolits look fine in fact I would tend to turn the heat up a little.

As far as I am concerned if it is not frosted I remelt them. We did a test a few years ago and cast nice shiny boolits then turned up the heat and cast frosted boolits. The frosted boolits were far more consistant.

This is what I strive for

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=30&pictureid=1322

Thumbcocker
05-19-2012, 09:43 PM
My experience is similar to Articbreeze.

05-19-2012, 09:49 PM
I've found that when I'm getting a "rounded out" base, I just keep pouring lead over the mould after the cavity has filled. The hot lead heats the sprue plate and I get nice flat bases. The pour off just goes back into the pot as it's poured over the sprue plate.

Powellcole5490
05-19-2012, 10:20 PM
So after looking around this site for a little while, I got re-motivated and went to cast some more. Here's a pic of the final amount. 1,156!!! (My wife is at work tonight, that's why I have the time to count them) Plus I weighed 10% of them and they are all very consistant. 156-157 grains! I'm happy with my first casting session!!

fcvan
05-19-2012, 10:35 PM
Welcome to your new obsession. Your boolits look great and your consistency will only imrove with repetition. Something i learned from this site was gauging temp by how quickly the sprue cools. I cast with two molds and regulate temp by adding cool or preheated ingots. Read the posts here, i've been casting for 35 years but have learned so much since i started visiting this website. Frank

Powellcole5490
05-19-2012, 11:40 PM
Wow, you are right down the road from me. I've learned so much from this site it's unbelievable. I never would have thought to try and do this without the info I've learned from people like you. Thanks!

bobthenailer
05-20-2012, 07:36 AM
IMO frosted bullets are from a propley warmed up bullet mould you get better fill out with no rounded edges and bullets of a more constant in weight! after casting cast bullets for over 40 years and useing only cast bullets while shooting BE , Action Pistol , Shiloutte as well as other games, as well as 99.9% of my general shooting.

AndyC
05-20-2012, 10:50 AM
Shiny is nice, but my handgun doesn't care either way as long as they're properly-sized and well-lubed. Job well done on your first casting session, and welcome to the club ;)

GP100man
05-20-2012, 11:15 AM
Information is a wonderful thing !! especially when it`s used !!

Wish my first cast looked as good !!!

Excellent !!!

Now , loobe & shoot some !!!

TheCelt
05-20-2012, 12:12 PM
Powellcole5490 I think those boolits look fine in fact I would tend to turn the heat up a little.

As far as I am concerned if it is not frosted I remelt them. We did a test a few years ago and cast nice shiny boolits then turned up the heat and cast frosted boolits. The frosted boolits were far more consistant.

This is what I strive for

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=30&pictureid=1322

+1 for frosted bullets

mrb7
05-20-2012, 01:34 PM

As far as I am concerned if it is not frosted I remelt them. We did a test a few years ago and cast nice shiny boolits then turned up the heat and cast frosted boolits. The frosted boolits were far more consistant.]

More consistent how? Weight unit to unit? Or more consistent shooting performance on the range?

Enquiring minds want to know.

Bullet Caster
05-20-2012, 02:23 PM
And I want to welcome you to the addiction, Powellcole. It's too late to turn back now since you've got the addicition. Your boolits look great. Load 'em up and shoot 'em. BC

arcticbreeze
05-20-2012, 02:39 PM
More consistent how? Weight unit to unit? Or more consistent shooting performance on the range?

Enquiring minds want to know.

More consistent weight.

arcticbreeze
05-20-2012, 02:50 PM
So after looking around this site for a little while, I got re-motivated and went to cast some more. Here's a pic of the final amount. 1,156!!! (My wife is at work tonight, that's why I have the time to count them) Plus I weighed 10% of them and they are all very consistant. 156-157 grains! I'm happy with my first casting session!!

If you are only getting a 1gr deviation from boolit to boolit that you are doing just fine. Keep up the good work and enjoy.

Now say it with me......

Hello, my name is (insert name) and I am a castaholic........

captaint
05-21-2012, 08:28 AM
Celt - I, too, look to have my boolits lightly frosted - just like the ones you pic. Beautiful. I'm happy when mine look like that. enjoy Mike

**oneshot**
05-21-2012, 09:14 PM
Your off to a great start. My version of a mold at "casting temperature" is when the boolits are dropping from the mold (occasional tapping) and the bases are nice and crisp.
The more consistant you keep your temp and pace the more consistant your boolits will be.

Looks like your doing great.