PDA

View Full Version : What Happened ???

Moondawg
05-19-2012, 12:19 PM
We used to mine a lot of lead in this country, the same with copper, gold and silver. I can't believe all those minerals have been mined out, but we don't seem to mine for them anymore. We import everything and it is more expensive that way. Look at the price of lead and copper. Same with coal. We have lots of it left, but coal mines are closing down. What ever happened to mined in America?

canyon-ghost
05-19-2012, 12:25 PM
It's still out there, only a lot quieter and more private. The eco-terrorist environmentalist is here to tell you that you can't do anything that may have side effects. Shhh........

KaliforniaRebel
05-19-2012, 12:54 PM
Everybody is laying low from the EPA watchdog groups on the prowl. Just wait for the current administration to end...

Texantothecore
05-19-2012, 02:55 PM
A very large mine was shut down last year in Missouri. I am not sure why but it may have to do with a large supply of recycled lead. Virtually all of it is now recycled. The prices we are paying now are due less to supply than the value of the dollar as it has fallen.

It may be that the mines, coal and copper will reopen after the change of administration particularly if the administration makes it a point to disable some parts of the EPA. We have plenty of lead and copper it just needs to be dug out of the gorund.

largom
05-19-2012, 05:12 PM
Mines are shutting down for two reasons: government regs and unions.

Larry

mold maker
05-19-2012, 05:21 PM
Gov. and unions,,,, now that's the tail wagging the dog, or is it the tail wagging the jacka$$?

badbob454
05-20-2012, 02:19 AM
the epa is working for the gas company's so coal and other energy sources are shutting down watch who killed the electric car , this world is set up on money and corruption
so no one is safe if you get in the way of making a dollar

http://www.whokilledtheelectriccar.com/

10 ga
05-21-2012, 06:11 PM
The coal mines arn't shutting down. You just can't burn the stuff here as in the past. It's going to India and China and Japan. There are always a bunch of colliers anchored off Va Beach at Cape Henry and Fort Story waiting to load coal. Guy I went to VT with is in the coal business and he said coal is high now. Over $300 ton for metalurgical coal and over $100 for "steam" coal and the export market is driving the $. 10

41 mag fan
05-21-2012, 06:31 PM
The coal mines arn't shutting down. You just can't burn the stuff here as in the past. It's going to India and China and Japan. There are always a bunch of colliers anchored off Va Beach at Cape Henry and Fort Story waiting to load coal. Guy I went to VT with is in the coal business and he said coal is high now. Over $300 ton for metalurgical coal and over $100 for "steam" coal and the export market is driving the $. 10

HMMM.....I work for Peabody, our last monthly meeting 2 weeks ago, showed Coal at about $36/ton, down 30% from last year at this time.