PDA

View Full Version : Been melting and testing lead

melloairman
05-18-2012, 10:15 AM
Last year I picked up this lead from a trap shooter at the range .
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn55/melloroadman/IMG_6827A.jpg
By the tone of the ring those plates had I knew I had some hard lead plates . 30 days ago I melted them down and I have let them set . I have tested about 150 pounds of it so far and it has all came out at 22 bhn . Not what I really need but it is what I can use in most of my rifles now . It will allow me to test [ this fall ] if not sooner the fps and accuracy between 5 bhn and 22 bhn in some of my rifles . Marvin

MBTcustom
05-18-2012, 10:25 AM
Fit is more important.

melloairman
05-18-2012, 05:43 PM
Yes the fit is more important . When I am done testing I can mix it with pure lead I have as well . Marvin

MBTcustom
05-19-2012, 06:19 AM
Ya know, recovered range lead is almost pure and is cheaper than any other option. Several fellers sell it in the S&S section.

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-19-2012, 09:07 AM
Last year I picked up this lead from a trap shooter at the range .... I have tested about 150 pounds of it so far and it has all came out at 22 bhn .

they must shoot some magnum shot at that range...that's a good score.
I sure would blend in some softer alloy.
Jon

onesonek
05-19-2012, 09:49 AM
Ya know, recovered range lead is almost pure and is cheaper than any other option. Several fellers sell it in the S&S section.

This could be argued,,,,I haven't seen any under BHN 10 myself. Maybe some range's it's possible, I guess.

I took what he said, as he got it from a guy at the range that is a trap shooter. Nothing stated in context suggest that what he got was range lead.
By the hardness testing, I would guess it's more like Lino or somewhat depleted Monotype

melloairman
05-19-2012, 10:41 AM
I have melted down over a ton of range mix from our pistol range and it is 12 - 15 bhn . I have over 2 tons of clean lead now ranging from 5-22 bhn . I bought this for 20 cents a pound last year because I could not mine any lead because of the flooding we had . It was on its way to the dump and I saved it from falling into the wrong hands .LOL The man had been collecting lead most of his life and needed to make room in his garage for a bucket T he bought . Marvin