PDA

View Full Version : Lost my viginity, shot my first load. Got lead.

mto7464
04-15-2007, 09:14 PM
Okay, I have shot other cast bullets but today was the first for my own casting. Used my refurbed 91/30.
Using a friends Lee Mold, the 155 grain for the SKS, WW's, and Leealox lube. The first 10 I sized down to .311 with GC's with 15 grains herco. The second 10 I left as dropped .313 no GC and 13 grains herco.
Shot the sized ones first, they did okay. Checked the bore and it didn't look too bad.
Shot the unsized next. poor group and after I was done had a barrel full of lead.
Are WW's too soft for this, in combination with the oversized and un checked bullets? I didn't water cool them like I am doing now. Any suggestions?

kodiak1
04-15-2007, 09:36 PM
Damn mto you almost make it sound XXX rated. It feels just about as good though doesn't it!!!
Wheel weight should be just fine. You might find that the dropped ones if left for a few days might tend to harden up and not lead as bad.
If you are close with the sized ones try tweaking your powder or even your lube, even different primers can change the way they shout.
Ken.

flyingstick
04-15-2007, 09:57 PM
MTO, I tried unchecked boolits in my 30-30 & .303 Enfield. Both leaded terribly without the check. I just have never been able to stabalize a GC bullet without the check.

Lee
04-15-2007, 10:11 PM
Feels purty good, doesn't it???????......................Lee:wink:

Buckshot
04-16-2007, 02:29 AM
................Congratulations! Now cut the nose off one of those Lee Boolits. Expand the drive bands by crushing it a bit in a vise or in some pliers and slug the throat of your Rooski. Then drop the slug back down into the chamber and drive it a couple inches forward. Knock it back out and mike the lands and grooves to see what your rifle is.

If possible size to the throat, or at least as a bare minimum to the groove, if the boolit won't allow a thou or more over groove.

If the boolit is a rifle type and designed for GC's, best results (as you found out) will be with a GC in place. You CAN use PB slugs but they're normally designed as PB's and your velocity will be limited.

BTW, in a leaded barrel unless the leading is pretty bad you may not be able to see it after a cursory cleaning. The stuck lead just gets shined up, but it will continue to cause accuracy and leading problems. With a leaded barrel use some steel wool or better yet brass Chore Boy pot scrubbers until you see no more lead speckles on your patch in bright light.

.................Buckshot