PDA

View Full Version : Time for a new mattress. What to get?

Jailer
05-17-2012, 10:51 PM
Like the title says, it's time for a new mattress. The thing is I have no clue what to get. I've had my mattress for over 20 years and it was old when I got it. :shock:

What's a good brand to get? No water beds or sleep number type garbage, just a good comfortable pillow top type.

Got any suggestions?

runfiverun
05-17-2012, 11:04 PM
closed cell foam.
i slept on one in a hotel.
all the guy's were talking about feeling good and they all were showing up to work on time for once.
my b.i.l. decided to look at the mattress because his was so comfortable and commented on what it was.
the company's sold about 12 mattresses when we got home for week off.
they ain't cheap though.

tomme boy
05-17-2012, 11:35 PM
Swiss Latex. Cost a lot of money, but the best you can buy.

Beagler
05-17-2012, 11:48 PM
I spent the extra $$ once and got a Sealy Pillow top the sales person said it would help with my back. Six months later We where both sleeping in holes. The Sales Rep from Sealy stopped in and checked the mattress and the framework. Said no problem and replaced the mattress. Not even six months later sleeping in holes again. So after all that I went out and got a cheep mattress (this was 6 years ago) and will be lookin for a new one soon also. My parents got the sleep number bed and they love it. Cost as much as a high end bed but has a 20 year warr. I got a chance to give it a try when I was house sitting for them. I never felt better. Adjusted it to where I liked it. And never woke up untill the dog got me up with her legs crossed.

Jailer
05-17-2012, 11:49 PM
Swiss Latex. Cost a lot of money, but the best you can buy.

Sounds nice but $4400 is a little out of my price range for a king size mattress. :shock:

Beagler, I have heard good things about the sleep number beds. My only issue is I don't want a mattress that has anything electrical/mechanical that can fail over time.

Beagler
05-17-2012, 11:56 PM
I see your point. No fun sleeping on a flat tire :bigsmyl2:
Sounds nice but $4400 is a little out of my price range for a king size mattress. :shock:

Beagler, I have heard good things about the sleep number beds. My only issue is I don't want a mattress that has anything electrical/mechanical that can fail over time.

geargnasher
05-18-2012, 12:47 AM
Sleep number beds are all garbage and ad hype. They use the cheapest, vinyl bladders that can be had, and "memory foam" that's nothing more than cheap urethane foam. The better air beds have natural rubber bladders and real quality foam. There's a company out there that makes the best adjustable air beds around, for about half what a Sleep Numbers bed costs. I don't recall the name but Google can find them.

I built our adjustable air bed completely from scratch using premium air mattresses and carefully selected, layered latex and urethane foams. A standard 2" "memory foam" topper covers it all. Never slept better, and the total cost for the mattress stuff was less than $600. I built the frame, platform, head, foot, and sideboards, and the night tables from scratch also out of 8/4 solid pecan planks. That was more than $600 just for materials, but you can do fine with some 3/4" plywood and some nice yellow pine 2x8s if you wanted to do the same thing.

Or, you could take out a second mortgage on your house and buy a Tempur-Pedic. No hype there, it's the best bed money can buy, period. Just make sure you get the right firmness, and don't skimp on the topper layer if you like a conforming surface. I have several friends and family members that finally threw in the towel messing with all the other "fad" beds and just bought a Tempur. Like my mom said, you only cry about it once, right when you sign the papers, then you write the payment checks every month quite gladly after that because it changes your life.

Gear

captaint
05-18-2012, 06:58 AM
We're gonna have to get a mattress soon also. Glad to hear some opinions on the Sleep Number things. I was kinda leaning that way. I didn't know the good foam jobs were 4 grand though. WOW. Sleep ain't cheap, is it ?? enjoy Mike

bobthenailer
05-18-2012, 07:07 AM
If you have back problems ? defintaly get the temperpedic , my brother in law loves it as he has back problems as for my sister she said any good bed would been fine for her. i would recommed looking at consumers report ! if you dont have acess PM me and i will look it up.

41 mag fan
05-18-2012, 07:09 AM
We had a Sleep number for about 8 months. Gear was spot on about them being garbage.
I think we paid $1200 for ours IIRC.
After 3-4 months, it was a PIA. My side I could never get adjusted correctly.
So back then the money was flowing, I got so mad at it, and at their customer service giving us the biggest runaround ever, I took it out and burned it in the back yard, after we bought a Sealy Pillowtop.
About a year into it, it had the slowly sinking holes where we sleep. Now my wifes having some major issues with her sciatic nerve.
So now it's also our time to look into buying a new matress

Three-Fifty-Seven
05-18-2012, 07:58 AM
those!

winelover
05-18-2012, 08:14 AM
Been sleeping on a Tempur-pedic for several years now and love it. Will be needing another soon and will buy one with a gel top. Most complaints with memory foam is that it gets warm because it holds in body heat. The gel top is suppose to alleviate that issue.

Winelover

Moonie
05-18-2012, 09:01 AM
We have a sleep number bed we have had for a few years, we love it, best sleep I've ever gotten. I have heard the newer ones are garbage.

pmer
05-18-2012, 09:12 AM
We are into a memory foam matress about 5 years now and it still feels like day one.

When our inner spring gave out we kept the box spring and bought a lower cost foam matress. That ended up being a little too hard then put a 6 inch memory foam pad on top of new matress and bingo.

I don't remeber the end cost but it was less than the Tempurpedics we were looking at.

Guesser
05-18-2012, 10:11 AM
There is only one-----Tempurpedic!!!!!!!!!!!

bigjason6
05-18-2012, 10:30 AM
Do a search on overstock.com for memory foam mattresses. They have some really good deals on there.

Mk42gunner
05-18-2012, 12:49 PM
I bought my first brand new mattress in 2000 when I went to shore duty for the last time. The saleslady told me that a typical mattress should last about eight years, if you keep them rotated.

She told me to flip it over and/or rotate it end for end once a quarter. I have been doing this, and the mattress still sleeps like new with no worn out spots. The downside is that once it gets worn out, you need a new bed right now.

I don't remember the brand, but it was $400.00 in Janruary of 2000. I would say tht I have gotten my money's worth out of it.

Robert

Jailer
05-18-2012, 10:27 PM
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions, they were great.

Well we went and plunked down our hard earned money on a Simons Beauty rest. Tried laying on a whole bunch of different ones and kept coming back to one that I liked to compare them to. In the end I ended up picking the one that I was comparing all the others to (big shock).

King size for $1249. Not a top of the line model but it was one of the only ones that I didn't feel any hot spots when I laid on them and it didn't make my lower back hurt when flat on my back. It's not a big thick pillow top either, I just didn't like the feel of any of them. It's got a thick top cushion built into it just not the thick fluffy pillow top like the others.

Hopefully the re model of the downstairs will be done within a week or so and I can actually take this thing for a real test drive. I'll post back with results after I do.

BTW, the tempurpedic felt absolutely fantastic but I just couldn't see myself spending over four grand for a bed.

rockrat
05-19-2012, 12:45 AM
Only bad thing about memory foam, is that if you are a heavier person, you will break down the foam over time. I had one, didn't last long. Salesman later confirmed what I found out.

My sister has one, same brand, been going strong for years. Course, she is about 40 percent of my weight.

Oreo
05-19-2012, 01:11 AM
Ok, serious question: with these air or foam mattresses, even the very good ones, what about sex? I mean, the nice thing about a firm spring pillow top is that you can maneuver all over it in any position and it supports the weight comfortably. I'm afraid if we got a foam or air mattress it would not be comfortable for anything other then missionary. Can you kneel on these mattresses without sinking in as if in a bog? Any thoughts?

winelover
05-19-2012, 08:21 AM
Ok, serious question: with these air or foam mattresses, even the very good ones, what about sex? I mean, the nice thing about a firm spring pillow top is that you can maneuver all over it in any position and it supports the weight comfortably. I'm afraid if we got a foam or air mattress it would not be comfortable for anything other then missionary. Can you kneel on these mattresses without sinking in as if in a bog? Any thoughts?

First off, I have no experience with the air adjustable, however their claim to fame is that you can adjust firmness / support to your liking. The memory foam mattress is offered in various degrees of firmness, as well as, pillow-top and gel-top options. Surely, you can find one that will meet your needs. My wife and I prefer a firm bed. Tempur-Pedic fits our life style / sex life. Foam mattress should conform to your body, offering support, rather than total collapse. The key to any mattress is the foundation. If your foundation is lacking, your mattress will eventually fail. That being said, we opted for the adjustable / vibrating foundation that will assume multiple positions and contribute to the spice of life.

Winelover[smilie=s:

GREENCOUNTYPETE
05-19-2012, 10:34 PM
Verlo , you know what you want your bed to feel like you tell them they build you the mattress you want if it isn't quite right they can cut off the binding and add more or take out what you don't like then stitch a new cover on.

Three-Fifty-Seven
05-20-2012, 10:38 PM
... ;)

montana_charlie
05-21-2012, 11:51 AM
In order to have the perfect sleeping surface you MUST buy a Simmons/Serta/Seeley adjustable, tempurpedic, sleep number bed.

The only problem with that model is, when you crank up your head and knees it will usually spill the glass of wine ...