PDA

View Full Version : Beware of Light Sounds

donald duck
05-17-2012, 01:21 PM
Yesterday at the range shooting my Marlin 1895 in .357 I had one round that did not sound like the others. I started to load another round and I thought, no!! check the barrel first. I used my brass rod and sure enough a bullet was lodged about four or five inches down from the chamber. a couple of pushes and a bullet hit the ground. Thank You Lord for telling me to check the barrel. It could have been a disaster!! All my other round fired fine and I do check each round with flashlight to check for powder. remember, we can't bee too careful!!

hightime
05-17-2012, 01:41 PM
A few weeks ago I had some loads that weren't crimped well and they primer fired and didn't ignite the Unique powder. That could have been a disaster too.

Owen

Lonegun1894
05-20-2012, 05:03 PM
At least it's not just me, but in my case, I tend to get them stuck fairly frequently as I've been trying to work up very light loads for all my guns. So I have no one but myself to blame, but also pay very close attention to it since I know it will happen as I work my way down in powder charge.

TXGunNut
05-20-2012, 09:56 PM
Once you know what a squib load can do you'll never forget what it sounds like. PPC shooters can hear them on a busy firing line 3-4 positions away.

OverMax
05-20-2012, 11:55 PM
All my other round fired fine and I do check each round with flashlight to check for powder. remember, we can't bee too careful!! You certainly were lucky Sir. I suppose we've all at one time or another took for granted our powder measures inability to make a mistake. And our lack of attention to powder height in one cartridge case that somehow goes over looked. Most times we get by with our lack of attention to detail. The plus side in your situation donald duck. You caught your mistake before firing that next round. Thank Goodness you were on the Ball during that event._ :goodpost:

Four Fingers of Death
05-21-2012, 11:23 AM
Squibs are a problem, especially in action shooting when you have the pedal to the metal! I once was firing a course of fire with an old CZ75 that required double taps of several targets, as I heard the squib, my finger was already pressing the trigger. I was horrified, but instantly surprised to see a hit on the metal target. After inspecting the barrel, I found that it was bulged, but not in a ring style buldge, more of a crescent style buldge that ran sort of along the barrel, following the rifling for about 3.4", weird. I placed the gun on the bench we were using and stepped back from it. My mate arreared shortly afterwards and I forgot that we were sharing the gun. While I was discussing the problem with a friend, we realised that my friend was busy blasting away. Apart from the buldge, it didn't seem to be a problem. I eventually replaced the barrel, but it saw a lot of shots through it before it was replaced. It would lead a little, but didn't seem to be any less accurate.