PDA

View Full Version : My Latest Little Project...

Boerrancher
05-17-2012, 10:18 AM
Here is a little powder powder horn I made for my 32cal rifle. I put a brass valve on it so I could use my per-measured spout on it. I got the horn from a neighbor who had butchered a steer last winter. It is nothing fancy but it is a nice little horn that holds about 1/3 lb of powder. It was a fun little project.

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk155/Boerrancher/Tools/32calPowderhorn.jpg

If I can get the other one. I was wondering would any of you be interested in a horn like this one if I made another and listed it in the Benefit Auction section as a Ken benefit auction? Keep in mind that I am not sure if my neighbor still has the other one. I know he did a few weeks ago.

Best wishes,

Joe

RhodeHunter
05-17-2012, 10:40 AM
I've never used a pre-measured spout. How do you operate it? Do you set a dollar bill or a match-book cover against the muzzle, set the spout on top of that, and then depress the button until the spout is filled, and finally yank the paper out from under it, so the powder falls into the barrel?

I like it. Wish I had one. If there's an auction on one, let me know please.

waksupi
05-17-2012, 11:26 AM
You do know to never load directly from the horn to the barrel, I take it?

RhodeHunter
05-17-2012, 11:30 AM
Yes, I've read that before. However, once the button is let go, the contents of the horn will be separated from the powder that will be falling down bore. Wouldn't that make it safe?

Boerrancher
05-17-2012, 01:38 PM
You do know to never load directly from the horn to the barrel, I take it?

Yeah, I know it. Just don't always do it. I blow through the barrel until all the smoke stops coming out the nipple or the vent and then some, and have never had a problem. On my 50cals I always load a measure from the horn and then dump the measure down the bore.

Rhodehunter,

The way I use it, is put my finger over it, push the button, invert the horn, shake it a few times and release the button. Then slowly pour the powder into the bore keeping only the end of the spout over the muzzle of the gun. Most of the time I use a small 1/8th lb flask for my 32cal. I carry the little flask, a small bag with 15-20 balls, and an inline capper that hold 15 caps, and a small strip of patch material. All of it fits in my front pants pocket, and I either use my pocket knife or my neck knife as a patch knife. I made the powder horn for any extended trips I may take, and don't think the small flask will suffice.

Best wishes,

Joe

waksupi
05-17-2012, 02:29 PM
Yes, I've read that before. However, once the button is let go, the contents of the horn will be separated from the powder that will be falling down bore. Wouldn't that make it safe?

Uh-no. If the powder goes off in the barrel, you have a grenade in your hand. Saw it happen once years ago in a speed shoot event. Not pretty. One of the reasons we have outlawed things like stake shoots at our ML events, along with the problem of broken ramrods going through peoples hands. Saw that twice.

RhodeHunter
05-17-2012, 02:59 PM
Uh-no. If the powder goes off in the barrel, you have a grenade in your hand. Saw it happen once years ago in a speed shoot event. Not pretty. One of the reasons we have outlawed things like stake shoots at our ML events, along with the problem of broken ramrods going through peoples hands. Saw that twice.

Ok. Yes, I can imagine it's possible that just the heat of the gases coming out and contacting the horn could set off the whole horn. Thanks for the words of caution.

Boerrancher
05-17-2012, 04:48 PM
Saw it happen once years ago in a speed shoot event. Not pretty. One of the reasons we have outlawed things like stake shoots at our ML events, along with the problem of broken ramrods going through peoples hands. Saw that twice.

If I wanted to get in a hurry I would use something other than a Muzzleloader. There is no need when hunting, or target shooting to get in a hurry. If you have the need to be in a hurry, you don't need to be using a front stuffer, unless you are being attacked by wild Indians, and in that case I really don't think it is gonna matter much. Even if you are hunting large game, and make a not so perfect of a shot, you are much better off taking you time and reloading properly. There have been lots of times that I have let fatally wounded animals run instead of rushing another shot, that will most likely be a bad one because it was rushed. I try for the drop dead there shots but it doesn't always happen. I shoot, take my time to reload, sit down and smoke a cigarette, and relax for a bit. Then I get up after a few minutes and go get my animal. No hurries, no worries. Plus I am too old and broken up to hurry anymore.

Best wishes,

Joe

Hanshi
05-17-2012, 06:13 PM
That is a nice little day horn. I have a couple about that size that hold between 3 and 4 ounces. Mine just have a stopper and aren't quite as nicely made as yours.

starmac
05-18-2012, 12:47 PM
If you make it, I'm betting the interest will be there.
I would much rather but something handmade than something that comes from a chinese factory, and I'm sure others are the same.

One year I was doing pretty well and bought all members of my extended family handmade gifts mostly from the Yukon territory, remote northern BC and alaska.
I bought myself a powderhorn from a buffalo horn, the day I got back from that trip just happened to be a friends birthday I had forgotten about, so I still don't have a nice one. lol

Crawdaddy
05-18-2012, 05:30 PM
Very nice looking powder horn.

smoked turkey
05-18-2012, 10:47 PM
Joe, that is a real nice little powder horn your have made. I am with the others. I think there will be interest if you make one like shown here. I have a little 32 and a 36 that could benefit from one of these.

Boerrancher
05-19-2012, 08:09 AM
Thanks for the kind words fellas. I will try and find my neighbor this weekend and see if he still has the other one. Maybe it is because I am getting older, but on projects I don't get in a hurry anymore. Like this horn, I sanded on it for a couple of weeks off and on, when the notion would take me. Same thing with carving the base plug. They seem to turn out a bit better and are more enjoyable if they are not rushed.

Best wishes,

Joe

kenyerian
05-19-2012, 08:36 AM
Good job Joe. I used to use a powder Horn similar to yours back in the early 70's when they had an early deer season for Primitive weapons at Wolf creek Wildlfe Area. Back then you could have sold all the powder horns you could make. That was before Pyrodex pellets. Some of the guys that camped out there went all out with buckskins and the whole yards.

horsesoldier
05-20-2012, 11:29 PM
I would be interested in one....

FLINTNFIRE
05-21-2012, 12:15 AM
That is a nice looking horn , I have bought several blanks from the gun works in oregon here is a link , polished and unpolished , they sell valves and all , I was pleased with the blanks I bought , good luck and I am sure there would be interest

http://www.thegunworks.com/custprodgun.cfm?Cat2Name=Blanks&SubCat2ID=134&do=list&Cat1Name=Horns

Hubertus
05-21-2012, 03:57 AM
Looks, very nice! I like it!
Very practical, too, to put it in the hunting bag or pocket.

Hubertus

tacklebury
05-21-2012, 08:22 PM
Very cool sized horn. Might have to emulate that one. ;) It doesn't take much to tie a piece of antler or brass tubing to your cord and use the pre-measure nozzle then dump it into the brass tube. It is one more step, but might add like 3 seconds. ;) I personally carry the little plastic speed loaders when I'm hunting pre-loaded with my charge, ball and patch. Much quicker. ;)