PDA

View Full Version : Take a Kid Shooting Part 2

Rick N Bama
05-17-2012, 07:52 AM
A couple weeks ago I had a post about taking my 11yo Grandson shooting. A few days later I was able to take his 7yo Brother to the range.

This was Nate's first range trip so needless to say he was a bit nervous not really knowing what to expect. I took him on a weekday during his spring break from school to avoid the weekend crowds.

http://i401.photobucket.com/albums/pp92/Ricknbama/Shooting/DSC00692.jpg

The kid did fairly well shooting his Cricket & Mossberg 410 Pump. He also shot "his" AR15 & my Ruger MKIII.

These boys have been taught gun safety since they were old enough to know what a gun is. I personally take pride in having a big hand teaching them about firearms & the need for safety handling them.

Rick

BoolitSchuuter
05-17-2012, 08:02 AM
I can't think of a better way to spend a day.
You are truly blessed.

kenyerian
05-17-2012, 08:08 AM
The most important thing we can do is to teach our youngster's to get them off on the right foot. my hat is off to Rick. Good Job!!

Rick N Bama
05-17-2012, 09:23 AM
Thanks guys, there's a younger Grandson I hope to get involved, but right now he's not showing much interest in shooting.

My 11yo Grandson has been helping me reload since he had to have help pulling the handle on the press to seat a boolit. He's interested in casting, but so far I've restricted him to doing some sizing/lubing & helping me with loading wadcutters for him to shoot in the 38.

Rick

dale2242
05-18-2012, 08:16 AM
Our chapter of Oregon Hunters Association is putting on a Youth Outdoor day at the local range on June 2. This event is open to kids aged 10-17.
The local shooting venues will each have a demonstration or hands on shooting for the youngsters. We are planning to have at least having 10 different shooting and/or outdoor events.
The ODF&W will have a booth featuring animal track ID, etc.
It should be fun for all.
The entry fee will be $5 to cover breakfast and lunch and a OHA hat will be given to all entrants....dale

41 mag fan
05-18-2012, 10:59 AM
Rick,
What you've done is create a memory for your grandkids, and sadly the day you're gone, they will remember those times with you.
You have created a priceless memory that noone can take away from you or your grandkids.
My great grandfather did the same thing with me, 35+ yrs ago.
Reading your post brought back those memories, the same thing will happen with your grandkids, sometime down the road. Something will trigger a memory of the time spent with you, and it will happen till it's their time to leave this earth.
IMO thats an awesome thing you've done and the memories you are creating with them.