PDA

View Full Version : Alox lubed bullets in the heat of summer?

currahee1911
05-16-2012, 09:16 PM
Hi,

New at this. Buddy at range says that come summer, S. California, my Alox lubed bullets will melt lube all over.

First I have heard of this.

If this is a problem, why not just tumble the completed rounds (.45 ACP and .45 Colt) to remove the exposed lube?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
C.
8-)

runfiverun
05-16-2012, 09:19 PM
dry is dry.

bruce drake
05-16-2012, 09:30 PM
take one of your bullets lubed with alox and hit it with a propane torch and see how long it stays on the bullet before it comes off.

I'm confident that if you are using Lee Liquid Alox (Frog Snot) than it will handle the usual summer 130 degree temps of Southern CA with no issues.

currahee1911
05-16-2012, 09:45 PM
take one of your bullets lubed with alox and hit it with a propane torch and see how long it stays on the bullet before it comes off.

I'm confident that if you are using Lee Liquid Alox (Frog Snot) than it will handle the usual summer 130 degree temps of Southern CA with no issues.

Yeah, the Lee stuff.
Thanks, guys, one less thing to worry about.
-C.

:drinks:

gbrown
05-16-2012, 09:59 PM
The only way I see a problem is if you left the rounds on the dash of your car or "cooked" them in the hot sun (like sniper trained do to extend distance). If you did something like that, I would worry about excessive pressure.

koehn,jim
05-16-2012, 11:21 PM
I have used the lla on bullets in the Southern Calif, desert during summer and had no problems. Its a non issue.

Duckiller
05-17-2012, 03:36 PM
I started out lubing boolits with Javilina (50/50 beeswax and Alox) It got a little messy in the summer in So. Cal. Went to Carnuba Red and no more melted messes. Javilina wasn't that bad just made a mess on your hands when lubing. Boolits stuck together when stored in a box waiting to be loaded. Carnuba Red solved all sticky problems. However you will need a hair drier or some other heat source to soften it up a bit. I got the cheapest drier at Wally World and it has worked fine. Point it at the lubersizer for 5-10 minutes winter or summer and you are ready to size and lube for about 30 minutes. take a break, reheat and start all over. Also recommend Lars as a very nice person to deal with.

Lloyd Smale
05-18-2012, 05:52 AM
I used to store 38s that were tumble lubed in coffee cans in the barn. Ive seen it many times when it got real hot that alox would contaminate the powder and cause squibs or missfires. Ive even pulled bullets and found the powder in a clump. Anymore if im going to use alox and that isnt often. I only load what im going to shoot that day. You can argue with me till your blue in the face but ive seen it happen and not just once.

jcwit
05-18-2012, 10:08 AM
Put a short squirt of Alox in you lead pot and see what happens.

You have no worries in the summer heat.

TCLouis
05-18-2012, 10:38 PM
Lloyd Smale

If ya don't use Alox for lube, what do you use?

The curious and well the just plain ol nosey folks (well me) want to know.

canyon-ghost
05-19-2012, 04:05 PM
Melt off? You can't mean that you don't set your ammo box in the floorboards of the pickup or place them in the shade of the firing line enclosure, do you? I'm sure we all have enough common sense to find shade.

mooman76
05-19-2012, 06:47 PM
I don't have any problems here so I think you are good. It may get a little tackier but won't go no where.

Lloyd Smale
05-20-2012, 06:44 AM
mostly felix or one of lars lubes in a lubesizer
Lloyd Smale

Down South
05-20-2012, 12:08 PM
Lloyd Smale

Carnuba Red in a Lube Sizer.