PDA

View Full Version : New sizing die ... a problem?

mstarling
05-16-2012, 07:24 PM
Guys,

I cast a bunch of 6.8 boolits yesterday.

I cleared the projectiles I had to size with the die in the Lyman 450 today and put a new Lyman .278" die in it.

The entrance to the sizing area of this die is NOT tapered from the mouth of the die to the sizing zone. There is just a ledge where the sizing zone begins. In other words there is no natural means to keep the bullet centered as it enters the die.

I cannot get the darned thing to evenly size a bullet.

Is this the way sizing dies are now made or did this particular die miss a manufacturing step?

Is there a taper in rifle caliber dies for the Saeco sizer? (I have one of those too.)

Thanks!

Mike

Calamity Jake
05-16-2012, 07:50 PM
That taper at the mouth of the size die is called leadin if yours does not have it then send it back to whoever made it for a replacemnent

Dale53
05-16-2012, 08:02 PM
mstarling;
The original Lyman dies were made that way until E.H. Harrison of the NRA did his classic work on cast bullet shooting in rifles. His complaints about that style die caused Lyman to revamp their dies and eliminated the step in favor of a tapered entrance that swages the bullet instead of cutting the excess off.

Perhaps you were sent an old die?

At any rate, you didn't get what you paid for and it should be replaced (unless you bought a used one, etc....)

Dale53

mstarling
05-16-2012, 08:42 PM
Got the die from Graf's over the winter.

I started sizing bullets in the 70's ... I don't remember ever having a die do this before! What a PITA!

williamwaco
05-16-2012, 08:45 PM
mstarling;
the original lyman dies were made that way until e.h. Harrison of the nra did his classic work on cast bullet shooting in rifles. His complaints about that style die caused lyman to revamp their dies and eliminated the step in favor of a tapered entrance that swages the bullet instead of cutting the excess off.

Perhaps you were sent an old die?

At any rate, you didn't get what you paid for and it should be replaced (unless you bought a used one, etc....)

dale53

ditto!

Dale53
05-16-2012, 08:54 PM
I would get in touch with Graf's and I'll bet they'll replace the die.

FWIW
Dale53

mstarling
05-16-2012, 09:04 PM
Son of a gun! The darned die is an RCBS die ... not a Lyman. Apparently Graf's did not have any Lyman's in stock when I made the order so I took an RCBS.

RCBS dies also have the taper ground into the entrance?

(My apologies for inappropriately blaming Lyman!)

Dale53
05-16-2012, 11:39 PM
I have both Lyman and RCBS dies. There are basically no serious design differences. If you have a step it's WRONG!

I'd see if Graf would send you a label to send back for an exchange.

FWIW
Dale53

geargnasher
05-17-2012, 12:20 AM
Yes, even the RCBS dies shouldn't have a step if made in the last 50 years. Send it back, you're fighting a losing battle trying to use it.

Gear

mstarling
05-17-2012, 12:51 AM
That's what I thought.

Have sent a note to RCBS support ... we'll see what happens. If they won't replace it, I'll pop it on the lathe, center the bore, and use a grinding tool to cut a taper in the top of the die.

Aggravating to have this kind of delay.

Longwood
05-17-2012, 01:02 AM
That's what I thought.

Have sent a note to RCBS support ... we'll see what happens. If they won't replace it, I'll pop it on the lathe, center the bore, and use a grinding tool to cut a taper in the top of the die.

Aggravating to have this kind of delay.

Don't be too surprised when a new die shows up in your mailbox.

I sent them two emails about wanting to buy parts I lost or broke on separate occasions, and they never responded with a return email or any other response.

I got free parts in the mail instead.:D

mstarling
05-17-2012, 01:13 AM
Longwood,

I have lots of RCBS stuff ... but I think all of my sizers are Saeco or Lyman so haven't seen this particular problem before. Never had a problem with the other RCBS stuff I bought new.

I do have a problem with an bottom pour pot I was given ... it trips the ground fault. Is full of alloy and I have a working pot, so I never hassled with getting it fixed.

My 40+ year old Rock Chucker still works like a champ!

Really do hope they do reply so I know if I have to make other arrangements soon.

Thanks all!

mstarling
05-17-2012, 03:43 PM
Sent pics of the inside of the die which does not have a step ... but the angle is such that the projectile seems to hit the sides half way down the taper) and a messed up boolit to RCBS this morning.

They replied that the taper does not appear to be correct and they will send a new die at no charge.

Dale53
05-17-2012, 05:22 PM
Longwood,

I have lots of RCBS stuff ... but I think all of my sizers are Saeco or Lyman so haven't seen this particular problem before. Never had a problem with the other RCBS stuff I bought new.

I do have a problem with an bottom pour pot I was given ... it trips the ground fault. Is full of alloy and I have a working pot, so I never hassled with getting it fixed.

My 40+ year old Rock Chucker still works like a champ!

Really do hope they do reply so I know if I have to make other arrangements soon.

Thanks all!

1st - RCBS is doing what they are famous for - giving excellent service!

2nd - The problem with your bottom pour pot and the ground fault has happened to others. It is most probably a ground fault problem. Plug it in at a non-ground fault location and see if that cures it. If it works on a standard plug, it has been suggested that a 20 amp Ground Fault will work with these pots.

I have a ground fault on my outside electrical plug and just turning off the fan in my Florida Room has been known to kick it out, requiring me to re-set it before the fan will work again. Some of them are VERY sensitive.

I have a pair of RCBS pots and have been extremely happy with them.

Dale53