PDA

View Full Version : Getting old "SUCKS"

Freightman
05-16-2012, 01:24 PM
Went to the range yesterday and the rain had uncovered a lot of cast lead boolits. After all had left really no one showed up but I shot until about six just in case, I got my sieve and buckets and started with full intentions of filling up two five gallon buckets. Well I got one 3/4 full when I ran out of steam and had to quit. As I said GETTING OLD SUCKS BIG TIME.
PS they do not care if you mine the berms, as long as you cover the holes up.

Gussy
05-16-2012, 01:39 PM
As I said GETTING OLD SUCKS BIG TIME.

It's preferable to the alternative..........

koehn,jim
05-16-2012, 02:01 PM
I disagree I am now retired and have more time and lots more wisdom than when young. Old is a state of mind and I choose not to get old mentally.

gbrown
05-16-2012, 02:02 PM
Nah, getting old don't suck, it's fun. As Gussy observed--you have alternatives to it. I'll pass on those. Just be realistic. For most of us older crowd, we learn patience. Work slower and be thankful for what you can do.

square butte
05-16-2012, 02:20 PM
Getting old is not for sissies.

R.M.
05-16-2012, 03:00 PM
Getting old is not for sissies.

Ain't that the truth. :groner:

popper
05-16-2012, 04:34 PM
It's not getting old that is bad, it's the bending over and eye sight. Wish I could mine the berm here.

Doc Highwall
05-16-2012, 08:45 PM
I just had my 8th operation Monday and can say getting hurt and old sucks! But it sure beats the alternative and I just let the pains remind me that I am still alive and able to do things, justs not as fast or as long anymore.:bigsmyl2:

gandydancer
05-16-2012, 09:05 PM
I just had my 8th operation Monday and can say getting hurt and old sucks! But it sure beats the alternative and I just let the pains remind me that I am still alive and able to do things, justs not as fast or as long anymore.:bigsmyl2:
Going in for my 19th very soon (spine AGAIN) Pain? lots of it. but still its a pretty good life. I just wish I was as tough as my wife thinks I am. hell I wish I was as tough as she is. oh well! ab la Dee life goes on. Thank fully. GD formally of CT.

thebigmac
05-16-2012, 09:35 PM
I just had my 8th operation Monday and can say getting hurt and old sucks! But it sure beats the alternative and I just let the pains remind me that I am still alive and able to do things, justs not as fast or as long anymore.[/B]

[B] Hey Doc. Have to agree with you on the getting hurt and old sucks bit. At 77 I have had my share of aches & pains, but after raising three sons & one
grandson into the shooting and reloading life. I've had a h*** of a
LOT of loading, hunting & casting behind me...Getting old sucks, Yea, but it's Getting worn out is the trouble time. Enjoy life, It's a great ride. bigmac

Stick_man
05-16-2012, 09:45 PM
[Getting old may suck, and growing old IS mandatory. However, growing UP is optional. Live life day by day to it's fullest while you still can. smilie=2:
:guntootsmiley: :CastBoolitsisbest:

JudgeBAC
05-16-2012, 09:45 PM
Old and fragile beats dead and pushing up daisies.

GSCSA
05-16-2012, 09:58 PM
You guys going through all these operations have my upmost respect and will be in my prayers. Being 51 and starting to get heavy (210lbs), out of shape and blood pressure borderline, I've decided to do something about it. I'm starting to slowly change my diet and joined the fitness center at work. I worked out once last week and three times this week and am starting to feel better despite being a little sore. I'm taking it slow and steady. Afterall, I didn't get this way over night.

a.squibload
05-16-2012, 11:47 PM
You ain't old, just sore!
As we age we develop a higher tolerance for pain.
Fortunately, we also grow more pain receptors
to balance this condition.

For most of us there also seem to be more opportunities
to experience pain.

A wise man once said: "Don't worry, pain is just
God's way of scaring us".

skimmerhead
05-16-2012, 11:59 PM
getting old SUCK'S ! A+ on growing up optional ! worst part, read below

skimmerhead [smilie=l:

mongo
05-17-2012, 12:22 AM
You know youre gettin old when that sweet young thing you are flirting with in the supermarket is 45 years old.......

Longwood
05-17-2012, 01:22 AM
You know youre gettin old when that sweet young thing you are flirting with in the supermarket is 45 years old.......

It is amazing how much easier it is to flirt with them when you hope they don't follow you home.:groner:

Lead Fred
05-17-2012, 05:38 AM
Lets see, you got to be at the range without any one around to bug you, and you found buried treasure.

and your complaining about what again?

Just learn to pace yourself, OR pretend every hunk you recycle is gold

Jim
05-17-2012, 07:25 AM
I was complaing about something in the presence of Gran'daddy one day and he said "Jim, son, you ought not complain. I know people your age that have been dead for twenty years."

As far as I'm concerned, every day above ground is wonderful! Besides, you're only old on the outside.

Wal'
05-17-2012, 09:49 AM
What suck's, is the first hour or so in the morning getting all the joints up to speed & working like they should.

From then on the day's :happy dance: great, especially still learning new stuff like hanging around here. :-D

smokemjoe
05-17-2012, 10:05 AM
Yea tell me about it, 65 now and when I was young 65 was was one heck of a old timer, Now I dont feel 65 but when the docs give you 1 year you just hope you can get to 70, If the good Lord is willing. I could mow the yard in 18 mins. now takes 2 hrs. no air , heart beats like a hound dog treeing a coon. But I am still here for today. If you have some good health yet, live it up and spend that cash you saved all your live, It dont mean nothing now. Keep mineing that lead Frank, It was always just as much fun doing that as it was shooting it to me. Its easier then going under ground and bring it up in rock and in the diesil smoke under ground and the roof caving in behine you and raining all the time. Well you all take care- Joe

Alan in Vermont
05-17-2012, 10:12 AM
Old and fragile beats dead and pushing up daisies.

There are days when I seriously question that.

Freightman
05-17-2012, 10:44 AM
Well I am going back Friday and dig some more I am over the soreness and ready for more, Joe I will continue to pray for you and your fight. I have made 73 years and the last 19 years have been with a tore up back. I still wouldn't trade a day since I was injured for what I was doing before I was injured, do not think my mind or body would take it.

DHurtig
05-17-2012, 12:04 PM
I am not old by many peoples standards. I'll be 57 next month. 4 1/2 years ago I survived a massive heart attack that should have killed me. I thought it was indigestion. 3 days later I had 7 by passes. The docter told my wife that I would be on the table for 5 to 6 hours. I was there for 12 1/2. When they disconnected me from the pump, they discovered that the heart attack had weakened my heart so much that it split open while I was on the table. My surgeon told me that they put on a teflon patch and it was only the second time he has had to do that. After that, I was still bleeding and they discovered that some one had nicked my pulmonary artery.

The doctors told my wife to call the family together because there was a good chance that they would not see me again. One doctor told my daughter that if I survived, I would probably be an invalid for the rest of my life. When I awoke from anesthesia, I woke to a priest giving me the last rites. I survived, but I now have congestive heart failure.

11 months later I was diagnosed with prostate cancer. My prostate was over 90% infected. We caught it just in the nick of time before it spread. I went through 2 months of radiation and 2 years of hormone therapy. Dear God let me grow old. Dale

pistolman44
05-17-2012, 12:28 PM
I had a quad heart bypass 19 years ago. I"m 66 now and still ticking. Knees are about shot but I still cast, reload, and go to the range every chance I get. Have been selling off some of my gun collection, because my wife would probably sell my handguns for $5 each when I'm gone. LOL.

alfloyd
05-18-2012, 12:20 AM
"Besides, you're only old on the outside. "
Jim:

I think that there is old parts on the inside too.
If not then something not old inside there is hurting.
I still think like I am 25, but walk and feel like I am 95.

Lafaun

canyon-ghost
05-18-2012, 12:32 AM
Sounds good though, 3/4 of a bucket is a good 100 pounds or so. That's a fair bit of lead.

40Super
05-18-2012, 02:41 AM
I know what I have to look forward to,though I'm young yet at 43, I already feel older. When at 30 already the MRI scan of my back was described as "something they would expect to see at 70". Pain is life, but you still have to do what is fun(thats how things got bad in the first place). Just have to go slower, the salvaged lead will weigh the same in 4 hours as it would have if you picked it up in1.:wink:

41 mag fan
05-18-2012, 09:04 AM

Guess that's why i married my wife, she's 9 yrs younger than me. That way i can flirt, and feel like I'm getting a young wild thing, and I can do it sitting in my chair watching TV!!
Someday maybe she'll act her age and not mine.....but then again, that could be her ploy, so I'll leave her alone too!!

It is amazing how much easier it is to flirt with them when you hope they don't follow you home.:groner:

Tried that once at the grocery store. Cute little college girl, about 20 maybe 21 yrs old. She told me i reminded her of her father, except i had hair on my head.......
Talk about getting my groceeries paid for and bagged quickly, then leaving with my tail between my legs.

Yea tell me about it, 65 now and when I was young 65 was was one heck of a old timer, Now I dont feel 65 but when the docs give you 1 year you just hope you can get to 70, If the good Lord is willing. I could mow the yard in 18 mins. now takes 2 hrs. no air , heart beats like a hound dog treeing a coon. But I am still here for today. If you have some good health yet, live it up and spend that cash you saved all your live, It dont mean nothing now. Keep mineing that lead Frank, It was always just as much fun doing that as it was shooting it to me. Its easier then going under ground and bring it up in rock and in the diesil smoke under ground and the roof caving in behine you and raining all the time. Well you all take care- Joe

Sounds like a long wall miner Joe.... but you got that right and spot on. Since i'm back to normal again, they pulled me off the road grader and put me back in the mine examiner spot like I was before my knee surgery.
I had a rock once, that was every bit of 8'L x 6' W x 4-5' thick, come off a rib in a crosscut of our belt line. it wasn't cut flush with the roof like it should of been so there was a 8' timber underneath it, besides 6' roof bolt thru it. Was walking thru, heard a crack, seen dust sift, and then it came down. I was between it and the drive, so I couldn't move out of forward or backwards. Luckily, while scrambling backwards, it came down on the waterlines we had hanging from the roof, or it would of got me square.
Then there was the time, I was roof bolting, really ratty top, had about a 150 lb rock come loosee between roof bolts, hit the canopy of my side of bolter, slid off and caught my left knee. Hurt like hell for weeks, but no damage.

Been in a squeeze before....thats scary...the tops sinking, and heaving the ground up like mole trails. Had to build a wall in one, that got blown out by pressure. By the time I was done, about 6 hrs I had 5 1/2' of a brow laying on the ground in a cross cut I was building the wall in. 5 1/2' high x 10' long. I had 9' left of space I was walking thru, praying it didn't come on down, on the other side of wall was a roof fall, I'd be blocked in and none around, closest people were 1/2mi away.
Between the groaning and cracking in thetop, the pressure on the ribs were causing rocks to come off that sounded just like a rifle shot. After 6 hours, I read the squeeze stick a break away from me, the top had squeezed down 4" in that time.

Now I mine examine again, I do the weekly air courses on our crew. I go back into areas that haven't been mined for 6-7 yrs. Lots of roof falls, I walk around, and areas that will make your butthole pucker just looking at the top, let alone you got to walk thru it, to check and DTI seal EP's.

Underground mining anymore, is not worth the money I make. Guess that's why i'm thinking its time for a career change.
Seen way to much, had the roof come down, about 2 seconds after going thru with a mantrip, been hit by rocks, wedged between a mantrip and a berm, berm caught my feet, before they got it stopped, my legs were wedged between the rear wheel and the berm. They had to dig me out. I walked bow legged for a week after that one.

i've got a herniated disk ...still from underground, my right knee I've fractured my shin bone, had both ligaments and tendons messed up and cartilage torn from walking so much and surgery done on it.

Sorry for this long post...underground work is not fun and can be quite deadly.

ColColt
05-19-2012, 10:35 PM
I stopped by a tire store about six months back to see what they had in the area of ww's and they had a five gallon bucket full of ww's and stick ons along with some pure junk. I couldn't even lift it to get it in the trunk of the car. The guy I bought them from was about 56 I reckon, ten years my junior, and he picked it up like a bag of groceries and set it in the trunk. I felt awful. Use to that would have been no big deal. Had one helluva time getting it out of the trunk and on the garage floor without tipping it or dropping it on my foot.

What hurts worse is that as you know, a man's mind doesn't go past 25 like the rest of him and those honeys you use to look at are not looking back anymore.:sad:

Canuck Bob
05-19-2012, 11:10 PM
As I approach 60 with two artificial hips, severe arthritis, skelatal damage from cancer, and a recent bone marrow transplant I can say getting older is fantastic. However, I sure understand the OPs frustration. I recently landed a score of lead and my daughters had to help me!!

During this time I graduated from University at 45, became an entrepreneur, adopted two girls from wretched conditions in China, and plan to retire a couple days after I'm dead.

There is always good and bad, its the evil you gotta watch out for. My greatest battle is accepting who I am now and to not continue in the fantasy of being the hard wrecking linebacker I once was. I don't know much about wisdom with age but in the last decade I value kindness and gentleness more than tough and hard working and that is a big change for the better.

Hardcast416taylor
05-20-2012, 11:46 AM
As I told my 85 year old neighbor when he was telling me his miseries "Growing old isn`t for kids - they whine about their aches and pains"!Robert

looseprojectile
05-20-2012, 01:27 PM
sometimes. Whenever I suffer a setback I regroup and go after it again.
Morning pain is what eats at me the most. Many things that I can't do anymore.
I am seventythree.

I got a call from a friend I had not heard from in a few years. He was asking about a friend that we both knew. He had passed on. Dang he says, I owed him five dollars. I asked him how long ago was it that he had seen him. About twenty years.
I asked him how old he is, NINETYNINE he says. This old man still drives, in daylight and walks and talks and enjoys life. I can't imagine his pain.

Maybe I still have a few years to go? I am in near perfect health but have experienced so many injuries that cause constant pain it drives me nuts.
Those of you that have serious problems have my sympathy and prayers.
Why is youth so thoughtlesly wasted on the young?
The best any of us old farts can hope for is to die in our sleep, unexpectedly.
Make a plan!

Life is good

gwpercle
05-21-2012, 01:38 PM
Yeah getting old sucks BUT there are some advantages. You just got to learn you limitations and what you can get away with. I can say and do things now that when I was younger would have gotten my face slapped or a beating by some attractive girl's boyfriend. And there is a lot of manual labor I can avoid by playing the old age card. " oh my back, my back...I can't lift that ". You got to change your mindset and play this age thing for all it's worth.

over 60....gary " harmless old man "

hickfu
05-23-2012, 12:10 AM
Wow, I sure am glad I read this thread.... I didnt know that there was so many of us oldies out there with this kind of pain.

I am only 46 but have been in massive pain since I was 17. I had to have veins ripped out of my legs at 19 and then again at 28 so my legs were shot early. in my 30 I discovered that I had degenerative disk disease and have 10 bulging disks in my back pinching on nerves that go down both legs, around to the middle of my chest and I have had a migrane headache for years. I told my wife not to worry because it cant get any worse, Boy was I wrong! I became allergic to tree nuts, peanuts and soy.... do you know how many things have soy in them... Almost everything!! I again told my wife dont worry it cant get any worse then this... Again I was wrong. Now I have 2 types of arthritis wrecking every joint in my body. I cant sleep because of pain, it takes hours to get up and get moving at all and when I do I dont move around that much any more and to top it all off..... Since I dont have health insurance, my Dr. said since I cant afford the tests he wants to run on me he was dropping me as a patient so no more prescription pain meds. Writing this short reply is taking around 30 minutes because my hands hurt.

But I still go out to my shed and cast my boolits and reload my rounds and get out shooting as much as I can, I am trying to get a Dr to see me to see if I qualify for disability since I dont see how I would ever work again :( I miss work

Doc

square butte
05-23-2012, 06:13 AM
No matter what - You just get up every day and do the best you can with whatever you have. None of us get out of this life without some sort of trouble.

rintinglen
05-23-2012, 10:49 PM
Dagnab, but we're a sickly bunch. As long as I can still lift a grand daughter, I ain't that old.

smokeywolf
05-24-2012, 05:56 AM
Gentlemen,

After reading your trials and tribulations, I feel mighty darned lucky.
57 years old, shattered left wrist, bones now replaced with arthritis, tore the cartilage out of my right hip, ruptured disc pinching off the sciatic nerve down my left leg (don't know which leg to limp with).

But, 4 sons ranging from 11 to 30, all good. Young wife who is absolutely the best human I've ever known. Better than average gun collection. Shop full of machinery and tooling. And, folks out there to whom I can relate.

Read this the other day; "If you make it past 50, and you wake up one morning with no aches or pains, its likely you passed away during the night".
If I could remember who wrote it I'd give him credit.

smokeywolf

gandydancer
05-24-2012, 10:35 PM
I was complaing about something in the presence of Gran'daddy one day and he said "Jim, son, you ought not complain. I know people your age that have been dead for twenty years."

As far as I'm concerned, every day above ground is wonderful! Besides, you're only old on the outside.
your grand daddy hit the nail on the head.

I always feel better after a visit to this site you all make me feel better.

CENTEX BILL
05-24-2012, 11:42 PM
On my 62nd birthday, I was moaning and groaning about aches and pains and my son put me in my place.

" DAD, GROWING OLD IS A PRIVILEDGE MANY ARE DENIED!!"

I had no comeback.

Bill

gbrown
05-24-2012, 11:48 PM
You got it gandydancer. +1 with Jim's statement. Very similar to what my dad would say. I turn 65 in July, very blessed. Spent most of my adult life in law enforcement or military. Stayed in shape. No problems I am aware of. Have aches and pains as everyone. Busted my back in '99. BAD! Took care of it. Not the spry guy I was 40 years ago, but still going. Today, sorted WW, about 50 #. Pan lubed 250 .308 bullets. Watch my grandson play and win a little league tournament (9-10 minor league). He caught the first 4 innings, pitched the last 2 (went into extra innings as it was tied). Life is GOOD! Love it all, including the aches and pains. P.S. Lost 10 acquaintances I went to High School with in Viet Nam about 35 years ago. My brother (5 years my senior) died when I was 28. I am Blessed, as far as I am concerned.

kenyerian
05-25-2012, 12:04 AM
I'm 59 years young and I am not growing old! It irritates the heck out of me to called a senior citizen or worse yet "Old Man". I can still hold my own hunting with the kids and grandkids. I figure I got 30 to 40 good years ahead of me before I start slowing down. Oh well. At least I'm fooling myself.

bslim
05-25-2012, 09:17 AM
Funny thing about age. I never think of myself as old and yes the aches and pains are always around specialy when you try to do something you used to be able to do when you were 40. The next morning you find aching muscles you never knew you had. I still get as much done in a day but for some reason it takes me twice as long to get er done? I've been fortunate enough to be retired now for 8 years and I really don't know where I had the time to go to work in the first place. When it takes you twice as long to get something done, you're always busy. Now when my wife asks me what I'm doing today, I reply "nothing". I haven't finished up from yesterday. Life is great, enjoy it while you can.

cat223
05-27-2012, 04:58 AM
I'm so glad I stumbled onto this thread. All of you "old timers" have given me a good laugh (and a slight case of depression). At 45, my teenaged boys are catching up to me and I realize that I'm not really all that far behind you all. The aches and pains have been nagging at me for a while but I will not go down without a fight.

a.squibload
05-27-2012, 05:10 AM
... It irritates the heck out of me to called a senior citizen ...

Yeah, except when a cashier asks "Would you like the
Senior Citizen Discount?" :smile:

facetious
05-27-2012, 05:24 AM
I will be 55 in July, I get the wife all worked up by calling it " ultimate surviver last man standing. " , " If you have not grown up by 50 you don't have to."

Lead Fred
05-27-2012, 06:20 AM
Im so old I remember when "sucks" was a good thing