PDA

View Full Version : Got shot at the range yesterday!

Link23
05-16-2012, 10:16 AM
me and my buddy went shooting at the range and we were shooting my AR-9mm a round pre detonated before chambering so it was like a mini grenade went off, luck me i was standing beside him looking through the spotting scope and i got hit with a piece of brass from the case about a 1/4 inch square that went about a inch into my shoulder, i had to dig it out with some tweezers to make a long story short, be
careful of what your doing! even though this was a factory round things can happen

Link23

MBTcustom
05-16-2012, 10:19 AM
Bad Luck!!! I'm glad your OK.

theperfessor
05-16-2012, 10:19 AM
Ouch! Sorry to hear of injury but at least it wasn't your eye. Meat can usually heal. When did you have your last tetanus shot?

sundog
05-16-2012, 10:20 AM
Stuff happens. You had a tetanus shot lately?

Link23
05-16-2012, 10:37 AM
yeah i had a tetanus shot about 3 months ago when i was helping with relief aid at the tornado site of West liberty Ky i was very lucky if i was bent forward even 3 inches forward it would have shattered my shooting glasses and got me in the eye.

Link23

john hayslip
05-16-2012, 10:57 AM
In theory that shouldn't happen (for what theory is worth, as it did). Youall need to do some serious checking of that rifle to figure how it happened. There is no way a cartridge should go off before it's chambered.

WARD O
05-16-2012, 11:16 AM
If that is standard AR rifle configuration, perhaps you should position the spotting scope on the other side of the ejection port in the future. Or was this some other firearm?

What ever the case, I am glad you were not severely injured.

Big Boomer
05-16-2012, 11:43 AM
Link: Did this happen at NEKF&G? That used to be my favorite gun club.

Link23
05-16-2012, 01:37 PM
yes it did happen there it is only my 2nd or 3rd time there since i have a 700 yard range set up on daniels fork, i go there to pick up a couple of 5 gal buckets of lead to replenish my supply

Link23

bruce drake
05-16-2012, 01:57 PM
Most 9mm ARs are Blowback Operated so it makes me wonder how fast you were shooting the rifle and perhaps you had a cook-off.

Glad to hear you weren't seriously injured but I'd get the doc to check on the injury to make sure nothing serious was nicked. I've had shrapnel injuries in the past and they travel weird directions once the metal hits flesh.

Bruce

gray wolf
05-16-2012, 02:29 PM
Very glad you are OK, and sorry it had to happen.

Sam

missionary5155
05-17-2012, 03:23 AM
Good morning
I will second the "be careful about the puncture wound" advise. A local pastor down here got stuck with a nail about one inch deep. Took normal precautions with surface cleaning. His wife is a nurse who did the cleaning. About one month later he was in the hospital and near lost his leg due to infection that started down deep and undetectable.
Mike in Peru

a.squibload
05-17-2012, 04:10 AM
Man, that heading got my attention! Glad you're OK.
Used to get powder and lead bits in the face from revolvers,
think I'll get some better safety glasses.

My range is kinda strict after a guy got shot, heard it was pretty bad.
They say always have a cell phone on ya, or on the bench.
In case of a bad accident: 911 first, then apply first aid.
Those on the scene applied first aid, but the paramedics stopped the bleeding
& saved him.

WILCO
05-17-2012, 08:48 AM
We had a fella shoot his brother in the buttocks when he was down range hanging paper.....

Glad you're okay.

ScottJ
05-17-2012, 09:45 AM
I shoot IDPA at an indoor range sometimes. I have been hit several times with boolit pieces splashing back off the trap. Had a piece stick into my shirt (but not break the skin) this past Monday. Really underscores the need for safety glasses.

Before joining a range that requires it I tended to neglect eyewear.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Love Life
05-18-2012, 12:47 AM
You didn't get shot. You got hit by shrapnel. Big difference.

Now that terms are out of the way all I can say is thank god it only got you in the shoulder. An inch is pretty deep. I bet that hurt pulling it out with tweezers.

Got any pictures?

Frozone
05-18-2012, 01:08 AM
Here's a fix for that puncture wound.
select a rubber band a little smaller than the the punchure is wide.
Cut the rubber band to make a thread, then Boil and cool the rubber band.
Get Drunk.
When drunk enough, pour H2O2 into wound, as soon as it quits foaming, shove one end of the rubber band all the way to the bottom of the hole.
Bind up the wound and keep drinking.

You'll be healed when the rubber band comes all the way out.
Bad things happen to deep wounds that heal from the outside in.
The rubber band prevents that.

Frozone
05-18-2012, 01:08 AM
<Double Post>

geargnasher
05-18-2012, 01:12 AM
The other rough thing about shrapnel is it always seems to go in more easily than coming out. Once the wounded flesh swells a bit (only takes seconds) you practically have to hack out the FO. I've had more than one chunk of metal dug out of me in my career as a mechanic, even just below the skin is not fun if it's a ragged piece. I'd be a lot more worried about deep-tissue infection than I would be about tetanus. It's really difficult to sufficiently irrigate a deep puncture wound to remove all the contaminants unless you're either one heck of a tough hombre, or have plenty of local anesthetic. A round of antibiotics is good insurance against a dangerous infection.

When I worked for Boeing I was QC'ing an operation on a wire bundle build and about ten feet away and directly to my right a worker was performing a 4-gauge electrical splice with an air-over-hydraulic hex-jaw crimper. I was bent over looking at the bundle when the upper half of the crimper die exploded, sending a pinto-bean sized shard into the sideshield of my safety glasses right at my temple. The impact cleared the glasses from my face, broke the right earpiece hinge, and took most of the hide off of the bridge of my nose and the corner of my right eye, but probably saved my life. The Haldex-Barnes engineer that investigated the accident said he estimated the shrapnel (including other pieces that flew out and only damaged equipment and shop furniture) was traveling 600-700 fps when it hit me, about the same energy as a .32 S&W short. But the safety glasses didn't shatter (Z-91.1 rated), thank gawd. Ever since that happened, I don't even feel right brushing my teeth without eye protection.

Moral of the story? If you like to see, wear safety glasses at the range and anywhere else anything might fly toward you.

Gear

303Guy
05-18-2012, 03:30 AM
It would be most interesting to learn what caused the event. It's actually pretty serious because if it happened once it'll happen again. Perhaps the makers of the gun would be interested in investigating the incident.

Love Life
05-18-2012, 10:35 AM
To clarify I meant do you have pictures of the case that ruptured? If the gun was really hot it may have caused a cook off, but that usually doesn't happen until the round is in the chamber. Not as it is being chambered. Maybe a long firing pin? There are a lot of questions here.

1Shirt
05-21-2012, 11:33 AM
Another vote for probable cook off!
1Shirt!

NSP64
05-21-2012, 11:27 PM
Might have been dirty.
if it uses a floating firing pin dirt can cause it to become stuck forward detonating the round when it is stripped from the clip.
I am a former paramedic. PICTURES

:bigsmyl2:

madman
05-23-2012, 05:04 PM
Hope it was not a Rock River if so you are out of luck. I have been hit several times. With splatter and flying pieces of metal. Got hit right between the eyes. Range was in door and was maintained well. Lots of built up bullet material at the trap. I have been toying with the idea to set up my AR's with left hand ejection ports. I saw one at some friends made that is interchangeable from left to right hand just by switching the bolt.

wymanwinn
05-23-2012, 05:58 PM
i will add my 2 bits worth about safety glasses....

as a seasoned Range Officer for SASS, Cowboy Action Shooting, I was timing a shooter that was shooting very light 38spl loads (too light by today's SASS standards)...you could watch the bullet arc its way to the target...LOL....BUT, i was standing to the shooter's right looking over his shoulder watching his firearm for possible squibs, he pulls the trigger, bullet arcs to the target and comes straight back at me (probably hit a pock mark)...hits me square in the right eye on my prescription Randolph Rangers, knocks them off and left a small ding on the lens, no harm to me thankfully....scared the **** out of me...BUT the Rangers did their job...still have that lens as a show and tell for the noobies that come out...

wear good shooting glasses.....way to cheap of insurance....

wyman

JIMinPHX
05-23-2012, 06:16 PM
Most 9mm ARs are Blowback Operated so it makes me wonder how fast you were shooting the rifle and perhaps you had a cook-off.

A cook off from a round that had not made in into the chamber yet????? That doesn't add up for me. Please explain how an out of battery round can cook off. I must be missing something here.

I would get the rifle checked out by a reputable Smith. A rifle that operates properly should never fire out of battery.

Bedell
05-23-2012, 10:31 PM
A cook off from a round that had not made in into the chamber yet????? That doesn't add up for me. Please explain how an out of battery round can cook off. I must be missing something here.

I would get the rifle checked out by a reputable Smith. A rifle that operates properly should never fire out of battery.

I second this.

SharpsShooter
05-24-2012, 08:09 AM
Definitely not a cook off. My vote goes to a firing pin stuck in the forward position (even temporarily stuck) as the cause of your out of battery incident.

Glad you are not injured worse. Strip that AR and clean it thoroughly and have that wound checked by a Doc too.

SS

popper
05-24-2012, 04:02 PM
Lucky it was a 9mm vs a 308 slam-fire.